Never tell strangers you like to write...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AvsGirl41

New Yorker
They will immediately hand you their writing to judge.

I think this is one of the rudest things ever. It is so pompous.
And what can you say, really? You have to tell them what they want to hear. It's not your opinion they actually want, just your attention.

This was a new one--song lyrics.

He didn't even own The Joshua Tree. :down:

lol. this just happened to me a few days ago.
and it's always the people who can't write
who are the most anxious to share their work.

then you're stuck.
and what can you say?

:down:

Exactly.

"I find your work to be trite and unoriginal." :shrug:

No, I always have to say "It's good. I like it."

I guess they'll learn the cold, harsh truth sooner or later.

I used to teach writing, and it's difficult to be a critic. The best thing, I learned, is to find one thing you like--that puts a positive spin on things--and to be constructive and say "OK, I like how you do this here, but I think you can do such and such to this over here." That way, they don't feel like you've raked them over hot coals, but you don't feel like you've lied through your teeth. :) Plus, we all have some rather, ahem, embarassing stuff in old files that we'd rather not share. It takes such courage to share...just think if Bono had been afriad to share in public. Zionks!:huh:

Last edited:
I'd tell people I like to write, just on the chance that I'll get a real pen pal out of the deal, someone who enjoys writing and recieving equally. No one likes to write letters anymore. :sad:

never tell family members cos they'll want to read it :shudder:

Another good point to remember, IWB!

I miss writing letters too, it was fun. :( Well, except when you had to deal with the post office:

"This needs to go to Moldova."
"And where is that?"
"In the former Soviet Union."
"Then it goes to Russia."
"NO, it's it's own country now!!" And so on. :angry:

AvsGirl41 said:

"This needs to go to Moldova."
"And where is that?"
"In the former Soviet Union."
"Then it goes to Russia."
"NO, it's it's own country now!!" And so on. :angry:

hahahaha

why does that no surprise me?

IWasBored said:
never tell family members cos they'll want to read it :shudder:

Ewww!!! I've been writing a book (honestly...a real book! :sexywink:) and my mom keeps bugging me to read it. This is the same mother who never asked me what the hell I was studying all through college (2 degrees, thankyouverymuch). And now she wants to get her paws on my book! No! I won't!:no: She can't make me!

Tangible letters ARE nice, but I haven't been able to find a pen pal here on the net that isn't squirrely in someway, or wants something I don't. :(
A letter is a letter, it's the writer and what they say thats important.:yes:

I am all about tangible letters...but you're right najeena, people are squirrely. And sometimes people think they have to have this great big interesting life in order to write interesting letters...I say give me the real stuff of life. The intricate description of the mac 'n cheese you had for lunch...what you bought at the grocery store... what birds are beginning to show up in the neighborhood...I guess I'm boring.

Back
Top Bottom