Need advice - where to go in the US?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

chickadee

New Yorker
I'm thinking about going to the US next summer as part of a work programme. I've never ever been before (I'm from Scotland) and so I have no idea about what any cities are like and where is best to go. I'd like any ideas or comments from anyone in the US where they'd recommend? I'd be there about 8/9 weeks working. So far I'm considering Boston and Seattle but really, I haven't a clue, lol!

Thanks!

Well it depends on what you want to see and what kind of climate you want to experience.

The South and Southeast are really, really humid in the summer and I wouldn't wish 8 weeks in say Texas, or Florida or Georgia on anyone.

If I had a choice in the summertime, I would probably go with San Francisco. Absolutely beautiful, lovely climate, lots to do, gorgeous surrounding area.

It depends on where you'll be spending most of your time, how much free time you have, how much money, what climates you want, what kind of "nature" you want to see if any, etc. You say Boston and Seattle...I've never been to either and would love to see both, but remember they're on total opposite sides of the country and would take a plane ride or two or three just to get from one to the other.

My favorite place in the US (that I've seen) is the Florida coast and Florida Everglades.

There's plenty to do in NYC alone, and though I've never been, probably the same for certain areas of California.

Yeah the heat and especially the humidity in Atlanta during the summer is pretty awful...basically all that's here is the Coke factory, MLK house, and the *huge* new aquarium they just built.

Washington DC is a really cool city to visit, imo. :up:

Hi Chickadee :wave: I think coming to the U.S. is a great idea - I did the same thing but went to London.

I'm not sure the desert (Vegas) is such a great place to live in the summer but it is an awesome city to visit. Your choices of Boston and Seattle is a good start- as are Washington DC, New York, San Francisco or Los Angeles....all those citys have online employement agency sites where you can probably secure a job before you arrive.

Good luck :up:

I second anitram's opinion as far as the West Coast is concerned. Just be aware that SanFran is frightfully expensive-- almost anyplace out West is. Seattle also has gorgeous environs, but the weather isn't nearly as nice.

As far as the East Coast goes, yes you should consider DC along with the others mentioned above. Especially if you'll have enough free time to take a few long weekends in other cities (or in the Appalachians, or at the beach) as it's very centrally located. Sure, a few of its inhabitants are unpopular abroad :wink: but there is tons to see and do and if you like museums, it is (so far as I know) the only US city where most major museums are FREE. It can be punishingly humid though, so better NYC or Boston if you can't take the heat. I love Boston, but would probably recommend NYC over it to a first-time visitor. NYC has a decidedly in-your-face vibe and can be overwhelming to some, but as HelloAngel said, you can't beat it for sheer variety of things to do.

If you love the heat, some place south might be great (as suggested). I don't see how you can possibly beat San Francisco but that's me. :D Very fun, livable, unique, near the beach and the mountains (well, nearish), gorgeous and always something to do. :yes:

Pick a city in the Northeast or the West Coast. You'll probably be bored to tears anywhere else.

That means New York City and Boston the Northeast, primarily. The biggest plus about these cities is that they have extensive public transportation, since I doubt you'll be driving. And, pretty much, these are the only two cities in the U.S. with extensive public transportation.

Out on the West Coast, there's Seattle, Portland, San Francisco, and Los Angeles. LA is pretty much commuter hell, as I've been told. SF is a nice city. I know nothing about Portland, but I hear some good things. Same with Seattle.

I need to take a trip out to the West Coast sometime. :wink: Oh and don't forget Hawaii. That's part of the U.S. too, you know. Now wouldn't that be a great place to have a summer work program? :drool:

Melon

I´m just a traveller, not US citizen - for 2 months, if you have the choice, go to NYC or San Francisco. From NYC you can visit Boston, Philly and Washington - Washington DC is a must-see - ; from SFO you can go to Los Angeles, or make a trip to the Canyon(s) which is absolutely amazing.

Hawaii - pretty much depends on the season I guess. When I was there it was full of Japanese.. nevermind, they have tropical gardens that will remind you of paradise. It is quite expensive though. I´ve just been to Honolulu and Hilo (Big Island), but friends tell me Maui is very beautiful too.

Even though I hate most of their sports teams, Chicago really is a pretty amazing city.

Thank you everyone for your opinions/suggestions! As I said I'm really going into this blind, but I know it's such a massive country, I'm used to my little city and little country, lol! Yeah, I'm not a heat person (being Scottish has seen to that!!) so I'd like to avoid really bad heat if I can. I think we get a job directory with loads of contacts for jobs all over the US - and it'll be more expensive for me to get to the west than the east (the initial flight is to NYC and it's pretty cheap but then you have to get to whichever city you choose). Hmm. I'll keep thinking about it, it's such a big decision, it'll be scary!

stammer476 said:
What, no love for Detroit? :(

The bombed out nature of Downtown Detroit means it could be remolded. It would just have to be as zealous as Toronto in terms of condemning whole neighborhoods for being unsightly.

But I know it's more complicated than this. Both the city of Detroit and the state government (regardless of which political party is in power, mind you) lack enough ambition.

Melon

I think NYC would be your best bet, because if you are going to be visiting for a couple of months, NYC is located within short distance of the other major cities on the east coast - Boston, Philadelphia, and Washington, D.C. - and perhaps on certain days you can make easy side trips to each one, and therefore be able to get more out of your visit that way.

I lived nearby/in Chicago all my life, and have found it to be a great city.
but personally, I'm kind of sick of it and wish I could be near some scenic places, like Oregon or Southern California or Arizona, etc.
but to each their own.

from what a majority of traveling friends have told me, New York is a great place to visit/stay at. They've told me that everyday they spent as a tourist, they were able to find something enjoyable to do very easily.

phanan said:
I think NYC would be your best bet, because if you are going to be visiting for a couple of months, NYC is located within short distance of the other major cities on the east coast - Boston, Philadelphia, and Washington, D.C. - and perhaps on certain days you can make easy side trips to each one, and therefore be able to get more out of your visit that way.

what that guy said

new york has the most to offer based upon it's sheer size and relatively easy access to other major cities in the region... philly, boston, d.c.

LA would be another good choice but you said it's cheeper for you to stay on the east coast.. so i'd go with new york.

chickadee said:
Thank you everyone for your opinions/suggestions! As I said I'm really going into this blind, but I know it's such a massive country, I'm used to my little city and little country, lol! Yeah, I'm not a heat person (being Scottish has seen to that!!) so I'd like to avoid really bad heat if I can. I think we get a job directory with loads of contacts for jobs all over the US - and it'll be more expensive for me to get to the west than the east (the initial flight is to NYC and it's pretty cheap but then you have to get to whichever city you choose). Hmm. I'll keep thinking about it, it's such a big decision, it'll be scary!

my initial reaction was that you should come to NYC, b/c it's the best city in the country :wink: (joking, folks!). however, if you don't like heat, then it's probably not a good idea for you to come here in summer- the heat/humidity can get really bad in new york.

i'd suggest boston- it's on the east coast, but further north so not quite as hot. plus, you can easily visit NYC for a weekend (a MUST-DO!). good luck. :up:

Canada was my other option, actually, but the thing is I can only do the America programme while I'm a student, whereas I can do the Canada one even once I'm graduated. So next summer's my last option for the US, otherwise I'd go to Canada, as I really fancy it! But I'm interested in seeing the US cities as well, I've never been anywhere so it'll all be great!

Again, thank you everyone! Boston's looking good, I have to say. Now all I have to do is find the money to go, heehee.

chickadee said:
Canada was my other option, actually, but the thing is I can only do the America programme while I'm a student, whereas I can do the Canada one even once I'm graduated. So next summer's my last option for the US, otherwise I'd go to Canada, as I really fancy it! But I'm interested in seeing the US cities as well, I've never been anywhere so it'll all be great!

Again, thank you everyone! Boston's looking good, I have to say. Now all I have to do is find the money to go, heehee.

i would vote for Boston as well.

one of the great things about New England is that you have a wide variety of things to do, and all within 3 hours of each other.

from Boston you can do the following:

-- the mountains in Vermont
-- the gorgeous Maine coast (get a kyack for those inland waterwasy)
-- Providence, Rhode Island (fantastic Italian food, cute neighborhoods)
-- the mansions of Newport, Rhode Island
-- Rhode Island beaches
-- Cape Cod and the islands Martha's Vineyard and Nantucket (Nantucket happens to be my favorite place on earth, but that's a long story)
-- the Berkshires -- you have the Tanglewood music festival as well as the Williamstown Theater Festival
-- central Massachusetts Pioneer Valley -- probably the most liberal area of the whole country, gorgeous, wonderful small towns, historical center of 19th century American literature -- if you like Hawthorne, Dickenson, Emerson, etc.

and as has been mentioned, you can get to NYC for a long weekend, no problem at all.

i also love the west coast, but having grown up in New England, i have to recommend it highly. and Boston's a great city, probably the most European city in the US, and you'll find lots and lots of people from the UK and Ireland working in the bars and pubs.

have a great experience!

Back
Top Bottom