My Spelling And Grammar Suck!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I used to get really worked up about people using bad grammar, but it doesn't bother me much anymore (unless it's in something that should've passed through an editing stage). I don't think it has anything to do with intelligence or not being well-read. My husband reads several (literary fiction) books a week, writes book reviews, and does a lot of recreational writing, yet has absolutely no concept of grammar (no matter how many times I try to explain bits of it to him!). He never learned it at school, even when studying French and German. He capitalises random nouns and puts apostrophes all over the place, but he's better with words than anyone I know.

Besides, manipulating language and grammar to suit a purpose is all part of the evolution of language.

elevated_u2_fan said:
I confess; I can't spell to save my life.

Most of the time when I post, I have MS Word running and I copy and paste my entries to spell check before I post them! :reject: :lol:

I also go crazy with the punctuation. There are lots of comas and most of my sentences end with...

Anybody else out there have a problem?

BAD SPELLERS OF THE WORLD UNTIE!!! :wink:

Dnot wrroy.....you are not the olny one taht deos sepinllg msitaeks!!!

As you can see i hvae a aonninyg hbait of uinsg aolt of ecxalamtoin mraks in my psots!!!!! It tkics off my wrokamets too!!

redhotswami said:
"Y-O-U-R," "Y-O-U-apostrophe-R-E,"
They're as different as night and day.
Don't you think that night and day are different?
What's wrong with you?

~Strong Bad

:heart: :heart:

Strong Bad is my hero

Canadiens1160 said:
It's interesting, really. I read over essays from native English speakers sometimes and really wonder what's wrong with today's schools.

I work as a writing tutor at the university, and I have seen levels of grammatical ineptitude that I never anticipated. There have been a few native-speakers who were genuinely semi-literate, which really presented a challenge to me. I have learned, however, that some mistakes are much more excusable than others. Of those that I have tutored, very few understand how to utilize commas, semi-colons, and colons properly; even fewer understand the concept of a subordinate clause. Confusion of You're/Your and There/Their/They're is also a very common mistake. Another common problem involves people who write as they would speak, and therefore use a great deal of informal language. Ultimately, I think that you are correct to suggest that this is not a reflection of their intelligence, but rather a lack of formal education in grammar and writing.

meegannie said:
I don't think it has anything to do with intelligence or not being well-read.

-----------------

Besides, manipulating language and grammar to suit a purpose is all part of the evolution of language.

Yeah, I agree. I do get annoyed with very basic things people have already mentioned, but far less annoyed with sentence structure since I tend to ignore the rules myself when posting. I prefer it when people post like they speak rather than how they would write for a graded comp essay, and not many people I know speak casually with perfect grammar. In FYM I try to be more careful, but sometimes I think you have to forget about proper grammar in order to get at the right tone of "voice".

Back
Top Bottom