My phobias/compuslive behaviour??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Party Boy

Refugee
Toronto. From Kildare, Ireland originally.
With concrete, you have a gap every so often filled with tar so that in hot weather there is room for concrete to expand. When walking, I have to make sure I have taken the same amouht of steps between each line of tar. Similarly, if I scratch left ear, I have to scrath rmy ight ear.

Is this a phobia or some sort of compulsive behaviour?! Or am I alone with this freakish behaviour? Or is it freakish!!?

Sometimes I get into counting everything. I think it was a nervous habit b/c I haven't had it in a while. I'd count things like stairs, sidewalk blocks, how many times the shower head dripped after I turned off the water.... :crack:

LivLuvAndBootlegMusic said:
Sometimes I get into counting everything. I think it was a nervous habit b/c I haven't had it in a while. I'd count things like stairs, sidewalk blocks, how many times the shower head dripped after I turned off the water.... :crack:

Thats exactly the thing I do also! When I am walking I count the amount of steps taken with each foot - have to make sure by the end of the walk, each foot has taken same amount of steps...

Very strange!

Party Boy said:
With concrete, you have a gap every so often filled with tar so that in hot weather there is room for concrete to expand. When walking, I have to make sure I have taken the same amouht of steps between each line of tar. Similarly, if I scratch left ear, I have to scrath rmy ight ear.

Is this a phobia or some sort of compulsive behaviour?! Or am I alone with this freakish behaviour? Or is it freakish!!?

It does sound like compulsive behavior but I think everyone is a little compulsive. I think I am a compulsive handwasher.
You only need to worry about it if the behavior starts to control you life.

Party Boy said:

Hehehe -- nope, not freakish at all. I do similar things, and have had this conversation with friends who do similar things.

Yep, everyone is a little compulsive. I think it's human nature. I wouldn't be worried about it.

originally posted by Party Boy
With concrete, you have a gap every so often filled with tar so that in hot weather there is room for concrete to expand. When walking, I have to make sure I have taken the same amount of steps between each line of tar.Similarly, if I scratch left ear, I have to scrath rmy ight ear.

Nah, I do the same things. I guess stepping over tar lines can get entertaining while walking down the street and doing nothing else.

Last edited:
A lot of things we do could be considered "compulsive" behavior. The real question is "how do we react when we break the pattern?"

Pearl said:

Nah, I do the same things. I guess stepping over tar lines can get entertaining while walking down the street and doing nothing else.

It does make the trip go a lot quicker!!

I guess there is no real downside or affect if I dont even out the steps while walking, but I am aware of it while walking.. it doesnt play on mind very much really other than at the time. Just glad I am not the only one out there who has to scratch both ears to even up everything!!

I do this thing in whichI have to leave the stereo volume dial on an odd number. I don't know why. Lately I've been noticing that there really is nothing wrong with an even number on the stereo.

I have a couple of ticks that would fit the description of compulsive behaviour
they only surface when I'm stressed though

here's one of my dumb quirks: if i microwave something and take the food out before the time has completely elapsed on the timer, I CAN NOT leave 23 seconds (or whatever time is remaining) on the clock. It MUST be reset back to the clock.

Does that make sense?:huh:

Before I go to bed and EVERY time I leave the house, I go back and check that everything is unplugged that could be dangerous... like the iron, my straightening iron, etc. I have HUGE paranoia about candles. I stopped using them altogether for a while because I got so bad - convincing myself I didnt blow them out. Now with my new smelly dog - I started using them again. Now I always say to my husband when I'm leaving - " I just blew out the candle, dont let me freak out an hour from now".

When I leave the house and there's nobody left at home, I check obsessively that all doors are locked and give the front doorknob a few tugs. Sometimes I even press my thumb against the knob's edge so that I get a "physical" reminder that the door is locked.

Back
Top Bottom