My overwhelming fear of STDs!!!!!!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Danospano

Refugee
Anyone who slightly knows me very well knows that I'm a worrier. I worry about everything to the nth degree, so much that I end up ruining any hope for the future.

Lately, I've been really paranoid about STD's. Not because I think I have any, but because of the possibility of someday having one or two, or three or four....Urgh!

Does anyone else worry about getting HVP (worts), herpes, (sigh) AIDS...etc?

This fear is driving me crazy, and it's almost making me decide to nix the whole sex thing altogether.

I've never been a player, or a mimbo, or a male-whore, but I'm scared to death about having sex with anyone at any time in the future. Is this normal? Does anyone wish to share?

I think its normal. I dont worry anymore, but you'd start going out with someone and after a few nights out or whatever, you're staring off into space thinking 'how do I broach the subject of hauling their arse down to the clinic for a little blood test?' I'd have the fear that a person would either think they were ok, or lie and I'd never know until it was too late.

It can be a bitch, but "Safety First, Where A Helmet".

my husband worries all the time. i tell him, how the hell can he get one? he keeps thinking you can sleep with someone and it'll magically show up years later. i keep telling him it's impossible. ugh. :crazy:

everyone should do anything they can to protect themselves against std's. condoms help.

you really shouldnt worry about anything enough to make you crazy. if you worry about everything in life than you wont be able to enjoy it, and what's the fun in that. you just gotta take reasonable precautions to be safe in life and if something bad happens, well it was gonna happen if you worried about it or not.

I feel like I should get tested. Not because I sleep around or anything, but just because.

I am a man-whore! and I am proud of it! Ok, not really, but sometimes things happen, especially when you're as irresistable as I am. :)

And I am a bit paranoid about STD's. Just always be safe, use condoms, stay away from oral sex unless you are sure about the person you're with, etc... But don't avoid sex all together. that is just not healthy.

Pffft! STD's. They're not as bad as the media or your "doctor" makes you think. The key is balance. If you think I'll won't plow a nice piece of tail cause I'm scared of some tiny little crabs your crazier than a shit house rat.

Okay...I know you guys are probably joking but I just feel compelled to point out that actually STDs aren't anything to joke about. Don't forget AIDS/HIV can be sexually transmitted, and even less serious STDs can cause unpleasant symptoms and sometime cause infertility.

So...um...that was Fizz's health-conscious rant of the day...don't y'all feel privileged to have heard it? :wink:

I don't think people are joking...are they?

And like LadyLemon says.....I think everyone should get tested. It would calm your fears a bit.

*edit to write:Hopefully a test will calm your fears...

one of my best friends works at the one of the local county AIDS clinic here in Atlanta as an educator on AIDS and STDs. the stories of the patients she sees has caused me to be extra cautious about who i would want to sleep with. your overwhelming fear is not odd, you are being cautious and that is what you should do.

zonelistener said:
I don't think people are joking...are they?

And like LadyLemon says.....I think everyone should get tested. It would calm your fears a bit.

*edit to write:Hopefully a test will calm your fears...

Good advice Zone, except that there are some STDs that you can't test for until you have the actual symptoms and then it's too late!

diamond said:
whats an
std?

STD is an acromym for Sexually Transmitted Disease. STDs are more than 25 infectious diseases passed from one person to another primarily during sexual contact. More than 15 million people in the US become infected with one or more STDs every year. I don't know if you live in the US, but that's a lot of people really. The US has the highest STD rate in the industialized world; roughly half of all American's become infected with an STD before the age of 35.

That bit of info was on MSN Learning and Research.

I'm a computer tech and today at work a Prof called b/c her guest speaker was sick but told the Prof where to download her PowerPoint so the Prof could just do the lecture herself. She needed help downloading it and saving it in the right format but ANYWAY, I was making sure it was all set up right, not really paying attention to what it was about when all the sudden I'm scrolling through these NASTY pictures and the Prof's like "oh, yeah, just to warn you the presentation is about STDs". :barf:

I don't really worry about STD except herpes b/c you can transmit that from a cold sore. I don't know if I've ever even had a cold sore but the though still grosses me out!

Oral herpes isn't as bad as genital herpes, and a cold sore isn't exactly the same herpes complex as those disgusting open sores that are usually visable on the outside of the mouth.

I think the oral herpes virus is refered to as Herpes Simplex A, whereas Herpes Simplex B is the genital variety. There restricted to separate regions of the body, so it's not likely to get genital herpes from a cold sore.

AIDS and Hep C are the most dangerous. Warts and Herpes would be annoying, but managable. Most of the non-virus types are easy to alleviate, but the process can be humbling; sticking a swab up your pee-hole to get a cultured sample isn't the most splendid activity. :(...

Danospano said:
Oral herpes isn't as bad as genital herpes, and a cold sore isn't exactly the same herpes complex as those disgusting open sores that are usually visable on the outside of the mouth.

I think the oral herpes virus is refered to as Herpes Simplex A, whereas Herpes Simplex B is the genital variety. There restricted to separate regions of the body, so it's not likely to get genital herpes from a cold sore.

Erm.....I was always taught that you could get/transfer gential herpes from a cold sore via oral sex.

Headache in a Suitcase said:
i'm not stoppin' till i get syphilis...

sorry... that used to be a line of a kid i went to college with... felt like a good time to resurect it :shrug:

LMAO

headache...I swear to god, when I log on I might as well just do a search for your posts they are so god damned funny.

Yeah, you could spread it orally to genitally with oral sex, but I was referring to kissing. It's all regional; you know, like Boston produces Red Sox fans and New York produces Yankee fans. ;)

LivLuvAndBootlegMusic said:
Erm.....I was always taught that you could get/transfer gential herpes from a cold sore via oral sex.

HSV-1 is the type you get on your lips and you can also get it on your gentalia, although HSV-2 is the one commonly found on the genitals.

By the age of 20, over 70% of people are infected with HSV-1, and many pick it up as infants. Therefore, there is much discussion today as to whether oral herpes is an STD in all cases, as it is easily and commonly passed without sexual contact at all.

as long as you take care of yourself there's nothing to worry about :)

also, I think that a good relationship with the person you're with helps a lot... I don't mean that you have to kknow every detail about each other's previous sex life, but some things may affect the other person

Back
Top Bottom