My Moral just plummeted.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Justin24

Rock n' Roll Doggie ALL ACCESS
Ok I have been going to the dentist to have "some" major dental work done. My insurance all 1,000 dollars was used (cheap insurance) So I got a CareCredit thing (GE) to cover the rest. Now I have been planning for a year and a half to go to Australia and see my friends. Well I am going to have to cancel that now for a while. My total cost is $11,000 dollars.

I am depressed. I hope my mom comes through like she said. She said early on that she would pay for half of the procedure. Crossing fingers.

That is such a lot of money. I thought paying £67 was a lot at my dentist this week and I had fillings, a nerve drilled into and the tooth filled.

I hope that you will find a way to manage your trip :hug:

Dentists are ridiculous. I spent over $600 on a deep cleaning and fillings and then I went back like a month or two later for a regular cleaning and they tried to tell me I needed another deep cleaning :| I told them forget it, stop calling me.. I'm going somewhere else.

I'd go to Australia, screw the dentists.

Problem is I already had the work done. After this I am going to another Dentist. Last week when I went, all I ever heard from the dentist to other patients is, your going to need a root canal, bridge, blah blah blah. what about regular cleaning. I only heard her talk about major dental work. :hmm:

:shocked:

Maybe you can check with a dental association - perhaps there is a place to lodge complaints or find out if there's anything you can do, although you already had the work done :shrug:

Lila64 said:
:shocked:

Maybe you can check with a dental association - perhaps there is a place to lodge complaints or find out if there's anything you can do, although you already had the work done :shrug:

But they could send some a field person to see if they are charging people for work that not needed.

Justin24 said:
Problem is I already had the work done. After this I am going to another Dentist. Last week when I went, all I ever heard from the dentist to other patients is, your going to need a root canal, bridge, blah blah blah. what about regular cleaning. I only heard her talk about major dental work. :hmm:

That sounds like my dentist. So far they haven't done a single thing that IS covered by my insurance :angry:

My monthly payments are going to be 253 dollars for 48 months. My brother said he would give me 100 dollars a month to help out.

Thats what I am thinking. Ok I had 4 extractions. 1 was a wisdom tooth. 4 "root canals, including crowns" 2 fillings and 1 bridge.

Crikey moses, dude. Take out travel insurance and get it done while you're out here! Sheesh. That is insane! How do you come to 11 grand? You can almost buy a new car for that.
Hang on, I just finished reading you have already had it done.
:sigh:

That's screwed. :huh:

That's par for the course for me. My family has never had any dental coverage. We get caught in this vicious cycle because we usually can't afford basic dental care, so we won't see a dentist for several years. Then by the time we can afford a cleaning, there are tons of other problems that have developed. Sometimes if I whine my dentist will give me a break because we don't have insurance, but even then it's outrageous. I've had to cancel my last two appointments to have fillings taken care of because our bill is already thousands of dollars. Now I've got a broken molar and haven't been able to eat on the right side of my mouth in 9 months.

I honestly can't understand why dental care is not the same as health care. Last time I checked my TEETH were part of my BODY which is indicative of my HEALTH.

:banghead:

My sympathies, Justin.

Yikes! That's a heck of a lot of money.

I would be very discouraged too. :sad

I just went for a regular cleaning last month at a new dentist. Originally I was quoted $142 for everything but that was wrong! Turns out that it was $200 which I was sooooo not prepared to pay for. Hygenist said I just needed regular cleaning than suddenly it turned out that it was going to be a deeper one. Also I got screwed with having to pay $40 for the dentist to look at my teeth for like 2 minutes. She never spoke directly to me at all and basically just glanced at my teeth. Still have to get fillings and have no idea how Im going to pay for them. Unfortunately Delaware doesn't have a dental school either where I can go. Terrified at the price of having my impacted wisdom teeth removed :yikes:

So I can totally sympathize with what you are going through too Justin. Hope everything get's worked out for you :hug:

1 tooth was a wisdom tooth. 4 teeth needed root canals, even though I am fishy about 2 of them. a bridge which included 1 of the root canals. I need fillings two to be exact. Plus my root canals needed crowns.

Justin24 said:
1 tooth was a wisdom tooth. 4 teeth needed root canals, even though I am fishy about 2 of them.

Yeah when I was in high school I still went to my pediatric dentist and he said I needed several root canals. My mom was like "yeah friggin right buddy" so I switched to the adult dentist and according to him I have not needed a root canal yet. The difference: the pediatric dentist has zillions of clients and just cares for money while the adult dentist gets to know you personally and will look out for your financial interest if you don't have insurance.

Hahaha. An update. Ok Before all this work that happend they set a fixed price for all the work at 8500 dollars and then they flip flopped at the end. So called them and said you had set this price and that I will not recommend anyone to you blah blah. So they say oh uhhh the discount hasn't kicked in yet. hahahahahhahahaha My other worry now is if the dentist will be pissed and do a crappy job with the two crowns she has to put in and the 2 fillings.

I had one root canal and crown and I think by the end the bill was between $700 - $1,000. I can't remember exactly because I would pay at the office, get another bill at home for what the insurance didn't cover from the estimate, pay for the next procedure at the office, etc.

$1,000 for one tooth :banghead:.

So unfortunately, I can see how all that work ended up around $11,000. Not that it's right for them to charge that :mad:.

One of my friends at work had to have a lot of bridge work done. I think they paid $8,000. That was the cheaper option. The dentist said they could have implants for around $25,000 :yikes:.

kellyahern said:
One of my friends at work had to have a lot of bridge work done. I think they paid $8,000. That was the cheaper option. The dentist said they could have implants for around $25,000 :yikes:.

Holy crap!! I've got a broken molar right now, and the tooth breaking isn't the first issue I've had with this tooth. If fixing/replacing it is going to cost thousands, I honestly have no choice but to leave it be and pray it doesn't abcess, or just have it pulled.

Justin24 said:
Hahaha. An update. Ok Before all this work that happend they set a fixed price for all the work at 8500 dollars and then they flip flopped at the end. So called them and said you had set this price and that I will not recommend anyone to you blah blah. So they say oh uhhh the discount hasn't kicked in yet. hahahahahhahahaha My other worry now is if the dentist will be pissed and do a crappy job with the two crowns she has to put in and the 2 fillings.

Good for you with getting on them about the price! It was completely unfair that they were trying to charge you more. Hopefully you have a decent dentist who will do all that they can to fix your teeth properly. Sure she wouldn't want to face repercussions if she were to intentionally do these procedures wrong.

Hmm...what the hell is this "deep cleaning" crap, and how is it different from a normal cleaning? :huh:

Melon

melon said:
Hmm...what the hell is this "deep cleaning" crap, and how is it different from a normal cleaning? :huh:

Melon

When I had a deep cleaning it was because it had been a few years since I last had my teeth cleaned. This one took a lot longer than my routine ones do. My dentist used a blaster to go over my teeth with first since I had developed some tartar buildup. Than she used the scraper to go along and clean between my teeth and scrape off the front of them.

With my routine cleanings they just use the scraper and it takes a lot less time. Not to mention they are a lot more comfortable than my deep cleaning was. For me they are just kind of a touchup now. Except last time supposedly I had more buildup than the hygenist initially realized when she did the oral exam. Believe with this case it was just a way of getting more money out of me since I had refused the expensive x-rays they wanted to do.

Justin24 said:
Ok I have been going to the dentist to have "some" major dental work done. My insurance all 1,000 dollars was used (cheap insurance) So I got a CareCredit thing (GE) to cover the rest. Now I have been planning for a year and a half to go to Australia and see my friends. Well I am going to have to cancel that now for a while. My total cost is $11,000 dollars.

I am depressed. I hope my mom comes through like she said. She said early on that she would pay for half of the procedure. Crossing fingers.

gotta be karma. ain't it a bitch?! :wink:

melon said:

Melon

Yeah, I wondered that too. Both of my dentists have always done the same thing - first lots of scraping, then the brushy buffer thing, then flossing, then more scraping.

Looked it up as I was beginning to wonder myself what the difference was,lol.

Deep cleaning or scaling and root planing, ( which is the correct dental
terminology), is a procedure where the roots of the teeth are meticulously cleaned.
The goal of scaling and root planing is to remove plaque, tartar,
bacteria and tooth root surface which has been contaminated by the
continued presence of elevated levels of bacteria.

Back
Top Bottom