My life is a mess...and I feel guilty.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

senrab

Refugee
OK, here it goes...

My life has been an emotional rollercoaster since Christmas, to say the least. At that time my father was diagnosed with a malicious brain tumor, called glioblastoma multiforme. It is malignant, of course. He underwent surgery after New Year's to remove as much as possible, then did the routine radiation and chemotherapy.

Now, he has been lying in a hospital for the last month...with a HUGE load of complications, all due to the toxicity of the chemo. He was so ill that he almost died 3 weeks ago. You name it, he's had it - severe pneumonia, bladder and urinary tract infections, clots which cut off the circulation to his feet and are only now beginning to heal, an airborne form of herpes which left very painful sores on his mouth, trouble swallowing, etc. etc. etc. He is either in pain or totally out of it from the pain meds. Now, he is having an MRI to see if the tumor is still doing anything, since he will probably not be able to have any cancer treatment again. We have no idea what is in store for him.

My younger sister (she's 19, I'm almost 21) has really been a right witch through all of this, to say the least. She has a mean streak a mile wide, she is one of those people with whom you have to tread lightly with anything you say to her. Last week, she said she had a sore throat, which meant that she could not come to the hospital. But she still found her way out to party every night with her friends (whom my parents do not approve of, but that's another story.) She doesn't even help me take care of the house, since my mother is staying at the hospital. It's like she doesn't care...my father has been asking for her and wondering where she is; it's heartbreaking.

I hate her. I try to avoid her as much as I possibly can. I know we should stick together as a family through all of this, but how can you be emotionally attached to someone who doesn't even show you (or my father) any concern or love in return? That's why I feel guilty. She is like a porcupine - you try to get close and you get pricked.

I come from a strong Catholic family, but even God doesn't seem to be doing much to help us out lately.

wow. I don't really know what to say, and anything I do say will probably sound trite and meaningless. So all I can tell you is that I will keep you in my prayers and your family as well. *hugs*

You have my sympathies... My dad suffered a heart attack last year, so on some smaller scale I know what youre going through, highly stressful, very unpleasant, and difficult to talk about... Someone in my class grades 5, 6, and 7 died from a malignant brain cancer, its likely one of the most terrible things that could happen to a family... If theres anything we can do to help, Im sure myself and others would do what we were able.

Now then, time to sound like a bastard: I by no means wish to sound rude when I say this, and it is by no means an insult to you or the integrity/well-being of your family... Shes 19, going out partying instead of visiting her deathly ill father, not helping out the family in a time of need like this... theres one very easy and very obvious solution: turf her ass... throw her the fuck out! Your parents no longer have legal responsibility for her, shes not a minor anymore, and they dont have to keep her in their house if they no longer wish to. That would teach her a pretty valuable lesson about where her priorities lie in life, shes not even trying to do anything, shes just utilizing the distraction for her own selfish party-going ends. Boot her ass.

~unforgettableFOXfire~ said:
You have my sympathies... My dad suffered a heart attack last year, so on some smaller scale I know what youre going through, highly stressful, very unpleasant, and difficult to talk about... Someone in my class grades 5, 6, and 7 died from a malignant brain cancer, its likely one of the most terrible things that could happen to a family... If theres anything we can do to help, Im sure myself and others would do what we were able.

Now then, time to sound like a bastard: I by no means wish to sound rude when I say this, and it is by no means an insult to you or the integrity/well-being of your family... Shes 19, going out partying instead of visiting her deathly ill father, not helping out the family in a time of need like this... theres one very easy and very obvious solution: turf her ass... throw her the fuck out! Your parents no longer have legal responsibility for her, shes not a minor anymore, and they dont have to keep her in their house if they no longer wish to. That would teach her a pretty valuable lesson about where her priorities lie in life, shes not even trying to do anything, shes just utilizing the distraction for her own selfish party-going ends. Boot her ass.

Thanks everyone for your sympathies. FOX, you are not insulting at all...LOL you are right on the money. My mother would kick her out if she were at home and things weren't so hectic. Believe me, this subject has come up before.

here's my $0.02......maybe this is her way of grieving....i mean, she may be in denial about the whole situation....or doesn't want to have to think about it.....give her time......although i see how it could be tough to live with.....

*hugs* i'll keep you and your family in my prayers

It looks like life is really showing you how cruel it can be right now. Sorry to state the obvious.
I wonder why your sister is really behaving like this. The tougher people I have known in my life (and this is no assumption abut your sis) I found tend to really lose it at times like this because their strength of character or toughness is only surface deep. Times like this really require a strength most of us dont know we have until we face really difficult tests. I'd like to think she is just as scared as you are, but cant show it. When we have to deal with these sorts of things, one of the hardest aspects to deal with is the fact we have absolutely no idea how to handle it or what to do to help it a bit. Your way is to soldier on regardless, she may be too scared to face it. I dont know, and I hope I'm not sounding presumptuous. Your mum and dad need you now more than ever, and you need them in return. Your sister, despite any other factors in this will likely find herself realising this. Its a shame you cant have her there with you sharing a bit of the load.
You are incredibly strong. I sincerely hope you and your family pull through this. My thoughts are with you senrab.

Thats awful- gah i feel so lucky now i take my family for granted

*hugs senrab*

I cant believe your sister but as Laura said (it is laura isnt it SFB?) this could be her way of dealing with things- or maybe she is totally wicked

PM me anytime you want :)

Kathleen I am so sorry to hear about this terrible turn of events. :(

If you want to send you something from my collection to cheer you up, I would be more than happy to.

As for your sister, maybe she is in severe denial? I don't know what else to say... but I am thinking of you.

Jess

*hugs*

Sorry.

Maybe your sister is scared to face the illness, and her father and is reacting that way. You know, scared to let her defense walls down.

What hell youre going through!!!

I understand completely though... :heart:

Good that you are talking about it. You've got lots of friends here, and we know where youre coming from. Stay safe...Hugs and Prayers! :)

Lara Mullen said:
I cant believe your sister but as Laura said (it is laura isnt it SFB?) this could be her way of dealing with things- or maybe she is totally wicked

yes....it's laura :D.....and i'm still sticking with my hypothesis....

best of luck, senrab!! *hugs*

Thanks.

Thank you, everyone, for your concern. Unfortunately, the MRI showed that my father's tumor is growing...not rapidly, but he is confused sometimes (as he was during his previous spells back in April and December) and sometimes he doesn't make sense when he's talking. He is still in the hospital, and they are working on getting him out of there and into a rehab facility.

As for my sister, she has resumed coming to the hospital again and she brings one of these friends of hers...the ones parents and myself do not care for. Anyway, yesterday I got into a bit of a fight with her in the hospital room and she left with her friend. My mother got so upset with both of us and, in her frustration and disappointment, went on to say we're both using her and not helping around the house, contributing more financially, etc.

I'm a shitty daughter. Why couldn't I have just bit the bullet and ignored her instigating at a time like this? I guess I just couldn't take it anymore. We're 20 and 19 and we act like catty 12 year-olds. :(

Anyway, thanks again everyone.

I'm so sorry that you're in this situation, senrab. *hugs* Don't think that you're a "shitty daughter"- everyone in your family is under a lot of stress, and people are going to end up saying things they regret. It's likely that your sister doesn't know how to deal with things, so she acts like she does. Maybe seeing your dad in the hospital is too traumatic for her so she goes out and parties so she won't have to think about it. That doesn't excuse her behavior, of course. Stay strong. ((hugs))

Update.

Dad passed away this afternoon. Thank you all for your concern, thoughts, and prayers...he is in a better place now.

Take care.

May I send my heartfelt prayers and thoughts with you and your family...words can't express how much this must hurt, I know...best wishes.

Back
Top Bottom