My father was a rock star...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cell

Rock n' Roll Doggie VIP PASS
ok, well...sort of.

He used to be in this rock band, and they played rock music in the early 80's. He was also in a rock band since high school(late 60's early 70's), but he never did tell me the name of his other band then. But this one was sort of a cross between Rick Springfield (anyone remember him?) and Journey. I can't remember any other bands they sounded like back then, but thats what I remember. They did some covers here and there, but my dad wrote most of the music. I remember being able to stay in the garage at my old house and listening to them rehearse. Sometimes those were the best times of my life. They were really good to where they competed in the Battle Of The Bands in L.A. I think they actually won a few of them. The band broke up later when their drummer died in a motorcycle accident. We all were devastated, since he was like family to us. I'm not sure if they tried to keep the band going, since I was stuck going to church with my mom all the time shortly after.

Now he just plays for the fun of it in small clubs in Utah from what I heard. Last time I checked, he has around 17 guitars in his collection. He needs help. I should email him and find out how he's doing...

Our relationship is kind of distant, since I decided to break ties for a while since i seperated from my now exhusband in March of 2001(my divorce was finalized on Dec. 17, 2002). I gave him a call a few months ago to let him now I was doing ok, and he was happy to hear from me, but heartbroken at the same time that I broke ties with him. Its hard for him to understand, and I dont want to hurt his feelings, but he was exactly like my ex when I was younger. Hard to explain. I couldnt talk to him and go thru what I went thru last year at the same time, if that makes sense...Now we email each other back and forth once in a while. I know I should be more closer to him, but I can't understand why I have to take the initiative all the time. Why can't he try to reach out to me instead? I wish I was worth fighting for.

Anyways, thanks for letting me ramble on. As you were...

I'm sorry about your estrangement with your father but...

:shocked: You just raised the cool meter standard for all of us!! ;)

My parents did ralleys by car....at night and stuff.....they got a bunch of medals n one drawer and they just told me about it some years ago. :huh:

the two men you would hope would chersih you the most

I'm sorry for what you've been through icelle:hug: :hug: :hug:
I'm glad you are finding the strength to grow beyond. Go Girl!!
It's so tough...I seem to recall a rumour about Bono writing a song called "tough" about his dad. I was kinda dreading the new album having songs that delve into parental relationships...but now I'm not. I hope they get right to the core of it, as they so often do.
I think I'm going to do some soul-searching. My friend calls in here on her way home from work sometimes and tells me stories about the poor damaged kids that are in care, too damaged to go to foster homes. It's so sad...I can hardly believe what goes on and it is 2003 AD.

I'm glad you have made it:hug: :hug: :hug:

Wow what a story. I think its good that you're keeping in touch with him.

:hug:

Make the effort to stay in touch Icelle. Trust me, I was in the same situation. I used to get mad about always being the one to initiate contact but I got 2 great years with my Dad before he died and I'm so glad I reached out to him.

:hug:

icelle said:
I know I should be more closer to him, but I can't understand why I have to take the initiative all the time. Why can't he try to reach out to me instead? I wish I was worth fighting for.

Maybe he is shy? Maybe he doesn?t want that you have the feeling to be controlled? Maybe he would like to call you every evening and tell you how much he loves you? Maybe he just can?t... maybe he fears that there are some unresolved issues between the two of you... maybe he just can?t.

Just keep the good contact up... and ask yourself, sometime in the future, if you want to see him. To hug him. He?s your only dad, and you?re his only daughter (if you don?t have a sister).

I am sure you?re worth fighting for, and I guess your dad thinks so too.

thanks for listening to me guys, i seriously thought i was just a nutcase for a while there. :hug:'s to all who have issues with their dads too. thanks for your kind words.

I've thought about what you said, hiphop, and yeah, there are issues that are probably unresolved. i will keep in contact with him, but i hate the way i feel. i hate to be the one reaching out. i hate doing all the damn work. my feeling is if i have to take the initiative all the time, then im not worth it to him. i hope my attitude changes in the near future. i hate being angry like this.
i have another brother and sister, also...but they pretty much wrote him off a very long time ago. im the only one who actually keeps in contact with him at all. he's never met his granddaughter, which is why i want to see him. i want my daughter to know her grandfather. not everyone in my family agrees with me on this thing, though. its hard to know what's right, or if im making some huge mistake. issues, they suck:|:sigh:

Back
Top Bottom