My dog just ate a thousand dollars

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HeartlandGirl

Rock n' Roll Doggie ALL ACCESS
This morning our dog ate my mouthpiece, which is a splint I wear over my teeth every night to prevent excessive grinding, broken teeth, headaches, and jaw problems.

I am so pissed right now...it cost me a thousand dollars to have it made, and that was 8 years ago. I can't even imagine how much it's gonna cost me to get it replaced.

:angry: x a million!

:yuck: :hug:

i lost my night guard a while back. i've been so broke lately i haven't been able to get another one. i grind my teeth at night too. i did buy a sports mouth peice at Oshman's Sporting Good's store, i think it was around $10. it took a little getting used to, cuz it was a little more plastic and thicker than the dental mouth pieces, but it seems to do the trick! it may be an alternative for you to look into till you can get a replacement.

um...wow 8 years ago? :der:
I think the prices have gone down considerably since then. I had something similar to what you're describing...and there's NO way it will cost that much to replace. Mine cost around 500.
Go to your dentist a.s.a.p. He'll fit you for a new one....the last thing you want is to break teeth while grinding,etc....which in the long run will cost you even more...think 300 bucks per tooth :no:
:lmao: @ your dog!!!!!

mmmBono, I think you're thinking of something else. My dad has a mouthpiece much simpler than mine, and it didn't cost very much. This one doesn't just keep my teeth from grinding, it lines them up to make them hit together in a certain way. It also causes your jaw to realign over time. But maybe you're right. I can only hope the price has gone down, but part of the reason it is so expensive is that a lot of preparation work goes into making it, plus you have to keep getting it adjusted as your jaw moves.

Sorry, I'm still pissed! :angry:

Last edited:
:faint:
:hug:
I won't start with the 'hairy dog tails" or the TMJ treatment stories...you are in enough shock already:hug:

I think he did it 'cause he loves you..kinda the same reason they steal knickers and socks if given the chance.Still and all...
:faint:

I thought it was gonna have scoffed monopoly money!

Yikes - thats expensive - we get all that stuff for free here...... :heart: NHS :heart:

HeartlandGirl said:
mmmBono, I think you're thinking of something else. My dad has a mouthpiece much simpler than mine, and it didn't cost very much. This one doesn't just keep my teeth from grinding, it lines them up to make them hit together in a certain way. It also causes your jaw to realign over time. But maybe you're right. I can only hope the price has gone down, but part of the reason it is so expensive is that a lot of preparation work goes into making it, plus you have to keep getting it adjusted as your jaw moves.

Sorry, I'm still pissed! :angry:
:reject:
Sorry!!
You know you may be right...what I had was to keep me from grinding...although I still do it. :yell:
I hope for your sake the price HAS gone down. :hug:
Dogs are nuts. I know...I have one myself...and they are :coocoo:
Hopefully..if you have dental coverage...that your insurance company covers atleast part of the cost. :sigh:

Oh man. I sympathise! I wnot list all the things Angus has destroyed in the 3 or so years we have had him. He has cost us over $5000.

:scream:

I hope this wont turn out too expensive!
:crazy:

mmmBono, sorry I was so bitchy earlier. :hug: I hope you're right that maybe I can get some of my insurance to cover it. I won't know until I call the dentist later this week.

BLS, Pearl just chewed it up. I think I found all the pieces of it.

I feel your pain too, Angela. Pearl was a "free" dog. My husband was so stoked to be getting a purebred pug for "free" that he just had to have her. But between the things she has destroyed and all of the health problems she has had, she's cost us about $3000 in only one year of having her. :sigh: What a waste, considering neither of us had ever even wanted a dog (I begrudgingly agreed to it after husband fell in love with the puppy).

Well, I've gotten over some of my "rage-a-hol" as the day has gone on. (Simpsons reference alert!) She's just a dog and doesn't understand. And hubby and I were right there and still didn't see her snatch it off the table and run off with it. Very frustrating! Nothing left to do now but get over it. :crazy:

How is your puppy going bono_man? I remember your thread about him a while ago.

:hug: HeartlandGirl. Our dogs sound so alike its scary. Angus was "free" as well. His owner had died and my sister's groomer knew she liked Cocker Spaniels and asked her if she knew anyone who might be able to take one as she had ended up with him somehow after the old lady died. We didn't have a fence, weren't interested in getting a dog any time soon with 3 cats already, but being an orphan I couldn't say no. He was going to be put down if we didn't take him. Nothing like that kind of ultimatum to make me agree. He's a lovely dog, the most beautiful temperament, and a lovely sort. He's well bred. But he has issues. Big issues. He suffers seperation anxiety terribly which might be because his owner suddenly left him.
Since we've owned him, he has destroyed/chewed:
The garbage bin and eaten one can of empty cat food (1 trip to the vet)
1 bag of my syringes (from my diabetes that was hard explaining to the vet)
1 playstation console
1 leg of roast pork out of the oven + 2 days before that 3/4 of a family sized apple pie also from the oven (total cost in vet bils from that was $2800 as he needed his spleen removed as a result)
1 thermometre including digesting the mercury. That was fun explaining to the vet.
1 large serving platter which was a wedding present he had pulled off the kitchen bench somehow

He has gotten into the rubbish countless times even after we put the bin under the kitchen sink, he worked out how to pull the door open. He somehow got up on the table which we keep the cat food on out on the back patio (so he can't eat it) and fell off, slipping one of discs in his spine (another $800 or so at the vet). No matter what swe do, we can't seem to get the house dog proofed. He is about 10 years old now and can't be kept outside as he not only barks constantly, but gets hysterical when he is left alone if we are home. He is going blind as he has cataracts, he is deaf so can't really be trained at this stage anyway plus its too late to teach him such huge behavioural changes.

He drives us mad. I love him dearly, but my God. Sorry to bemoan my poor dog in your thread. :(

:sigh:

Angela Harlem said:
How is your puppy going bono_man? I remember your thread about him a while ago.

well we've still got it, luckily dad didnt see the hole in the backyard :yikes:
i did the best job i could to cover the whole and no one noticed yet, which is good
i've offed to take it to lessons, but all i get is a well how can i explain it "No not yet"....i mean its gunna be too late soon.

but other than that hole in the ground, everything is going alright for little Molly

angela that is one fiesty dog you have :shocked: :yikes:

heartland Girl sorry about your mouthpiece :hug:

Lara Mullen said:
I thought it was gonna have scoffed monopoly money!

Yikes - thats expensive - we get all that stuff for free here...... :heart: NHS :heart:

god I wish. I had to get one last month, and my dentist informed me that this kind of thing is only done privately now.

Although it didn't cost me anything like $1000 - mine was ?180 including about 8 follow up appointments.

It doesnt cost me to get any dental care until I leave full time education :der:

My mum and dad pay though but its not that expensive - about ?20 per check up and they get their teeth polished and all :der: thats once evry six months

I'm back....I need dental treatment...it's very expensive isn't it?....deservedly so imho. I've heard that dentsits have a very high suicide rate:(
You know what I just realised?It's September 3rd tomorrow.
Gustovox's birthday!!...he will be 7 years old:heart:I think I won't be able to resist posting some pics of him in the Cafe Deluxe"puppy love" thread...he's been my loyal and dear friend since he was 6 weeks old.

I know she's been a naughty girl...but a pug called Pearl sure sounds sweet.

Hey,Aussie's with problem dogs...The Oz Airforce is asking people to bring their dominant dogs to the Richmond Airbase on Saturday for a selection process. I would love to be there and see that.
I think they particularly want German and Belgian shepherds...but ya never know they may want a cocker spaniel that eats enemy equipment....or the diggingest doggie:)

Hairy dog tales...I :heart: them

My dog chewed up several of my cds (all of which I listened to frequently), and MAN was I pissed off. :rant: I can only imagine how mad you must've been! :eek:

Back
Top Bottom