My Dog had a Heat stroke! :(

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Justin24

Rock n' Roll Doggie ALL ACCESS
I took my dog last night to the Emergency Vet. Around 7pm in the evening yesterday, My mom took my dog and my cousin to the Dog park so my dog could have fun. Well they went in the evening when it was cooler. Well around 7:30 my dog collapsed onto her back and went into convulsions and started to throw up. My mom took her home and started to cool her down with the water hose.

I was at work working over-Overtime and found out about her heatstroke by my mom when she called me. So when I got home last night, 10:30pm I took her to the hospital.

--------------- I called this morning since I left her there overnight. They said she is doing fine now. She had a slightly elevated white cell blood count, could be from the stress they said. Did not eat the food they gave her, could be from unfamiliar environment.

That's really scary... its been so hot I really am worried about pets/animals :(

BonosBaby12 said:
Im sorry to hear about your dog hope she's ok now :hug: This heat is just so brutal on the poor animals.

The heat is horrible for animals--even here, in this part of Eastern Canada, we've had some very hot days with high humidity. A few days ago, I saw a dog mindlessly roaming over the road here. He was obviously disoriented, so I pulled my car over and guided him back to the side. I eventually figured out where he lived, but he was very close to either passing out, or getting hit.

It's really easy to forget about how the heat affects animals...I'm glad to hear that your dog is doing much better :up:

I hope your dog is okay. I have heard just recently on an animal show that when a dog is overheated the first thing to do is to cool their bellys with water and especially the pads on their feet.

That's terrible! Glad to read you brought her in right away. I hope she's OK.

We've been watching our cats closely these days. Last week, it was mid-90s and humid all week, which means it's in the 100s inside the house because we have to lock it up during the day. I can deal b/c I've never had AC and it always gets to the mid-90s here in the summer, but the poor animals lay around panting. We sent the rabbit away to a friend's house and kept the cats in the basement (about 10 degrees cooler). I've also got several water dishes on every floor of the house.

Hopefully strays/ferals/outdoor animals are doing ok...

She is doing better after spending a night at the hospital. we are keeping her in the garage area, where it's the coolest.

Unfortunately this happens quite often...well at least when you work at a vet clinic it seems common! People forget dogs have a higher body temperature than us..and the dogs also don't know when to quit running around like maniacs.

I have to be really careful about this. Abbey has a genetic disorder (common for labs) where she gets hot more easily and can overheat. Even if I walk her for only 20 minutes in 80 degree weather, she pants for half an hour afterwards. When it is over 90, I have to be very careful.

:hug: This heat is so horrible I can't go outside. We have a drought situation in Alabama. We haven't gotten nearly enough water and the officials are rationing water. Today is the day we can water our plants. I'm glad your dog is OK.

Well we took her to the usual Vet for a follow up and they said she developed a Heart Murmer.:ohmy: :sad:

Is that a result of the heat stroke episode? Or did that make it worse/cause it to happen?

I hope she's OK. My fiance's family's dog has had a heart murmur for a long time and he's doing well.

I think it was a result of the heat strok. What makes me mad is The usual doctor caught this and the Other Vet did not.

Back
Top Bottom