My Deepest personal U2 thoughts

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Mr. BAW said:
Hello...I'm a 53-year old husband to Bono's American Wife; I am the father of 4 children ages 29 to 17...I drive a 2005 Nissan Altima blasting HTDAAB on an 8-speaker stereo system while the rear bumper has every U2 sticker you could imagine......think you got problems?????

:) welcome to my world....did I mention, I was 53 ????

:wave:

BAW's, you guys ROCK, you are truly the COOLEST!! :bow: I cannot wait to meet you both! I'm 47, I'll be 48 before the Molly Malone's show (2 days before). I drive a 2001 Ford Escape with anything U2 and nothing BUT U2 blaring from my car stereo. My 18 yr old only child moved out & is in college but he loves Vertigo and doesn't roll his eyes at :blahblah: everything U2 anymore! I guess some of us grow up and some of us stay young. We're all in that U2 lover's club that keeps us young! Rock on! :applaud:

I just love the fact that there are "older" U2-obsessed fans here. I'm 31, which is still young I guess, even though I sometimes feel ancient, and my kids are 5 and 2, but I'm sure I'll be lovin' U2 when I'm grey and wrinkled and hunched over (although it's hard to picture...)
I can't wait for the new album and am excited for a tour, although I hope they come to Edmonton, instead of Calgary!!:applaud:

Vikki, when I first posted, I really was feeling pretty lame that I had this obsession with u2 (esp. BONO), but now I actually feel validated. I don't know why I needed approval. I just don't feel alone. :)

I'm a 37-year-old khaki pants and loafers-wearing nerd with glasses and a respectable job. I don't dare tell my colleagues that I not only spend several hours a day at a U2 Web site, but also have been known to visit a place on said site called PLEBA to squeal like a 13-year-old N'Sync fan over photos of Bono. And I can't even make fun of the co-worker who gushes over all the movie stars she is obssessed with because in secret I'm just as bad as she is.

Last edited:
Hah, you guys are awesome. I'm only 17, but goddamn, I wish my Mum/Dad was as great as you lot.
Forcefeed you little 'uns U2 - they'll thank you one day when the Avril fad wears off :)

Last edited:
beau2ifulday said:
Hah, you guys are awesome. I'm only 17, but goddamn, I wish my Mum/Dad was as great as you lot.
Forcefeed you little 'uns U2 - they'll thank you one day when the Avril fas wears off :)

VALIDATION.....I am still COOL.....

beau2ifulday, you totally made my day ....(beautiful).....You have no idea what you have done. :wink:

ofcourse, I could still be your "mum"...had I had you at EIGHTEEN!!!!!!!!! Where has the time gone?

Last edited:
Hey, I'm only 24 but I grew into U2 because my mother was a big fan. I can still remember her and her terrible singing along to it in the car :wink: I do fondly remember curling up in her lap on the sofa with her as a little kid and listening to her heart beat along with the music of U2. Some songs always seem to remind me of those times and her. I can't wait to get her a copy of the album on the 23rd (her birthday!) and give it to her along with my thanks for 'giving' me a band that I cherish.

Ree--In my book you are definetly still cool. You're a ROCKIN' MAMA!! :D

I'm so glad to see the posts from U2 fans who are 40+ and fabulous! I'm in this age range, and I love spending lots of time at Interference, posting and looking at Our Guys in PLEBA.

Bono, Edge, Larry & Adam aren't just getting older...they're getting HOTTER!

I'm 17, but I know that no matter what I become in my life the one thing that I know I'll always be and WANT to be is a mad/crazy/nut bag U2 fan. No one can turn me away.

force-feeding U2 to the rugrats

Starsgoblue, that is exactly the kind of thing I hope my kids will grow up remembering, when mom used to sing U2 songs to them, or dance :dance: around the living room to U2 with them! I hope they grow up and remember these things fondly! Kudos to your mom for ensuring you did. My five-year old already rolls her eyes :rolleyes: when I sing and says, "Mooom!" in that, stop-you're embarrassing-me tone of voice!! She even has my two-year old doing it too.

Oh my gosh, I love, love love this thread. I am 35 the mother of a 4 year old and a nine month old. I carpool children all over L.A. with U2 blaring at high decimals. If it's not U2 then it's Killers, Live or some other rocking group. U2 is #1 though. When I pull up to drop the kids off at their homes I have to turn down the music and sometimes even turn the station so that the mother's don't think I'm crazy.

My Children love rock (4 year old, I don't know about my 9 month old yet). Like so many of you I feel I am truly doing a great service to my children and the children that I carpool to expose them on a daily basis to the greatest music of our time.

All of you rock!

p.s. Stars, I hope too that my children feel the same way that you do one day.

I'm just kinda bummed that I'm not a bit older/ I would have loved to appreciate U2 through the Zoo TV era. I've only been a big fan for about 3 years now, even though my parenmts have had the Joshua Tree vinly lying around for most of my youth. I'm just glad I'm a fan of an band that isn't about to start embarrising me

I am going to NYC tomorrow!!!!!! I am so psyched. I totally cannot believe I am doing this. I pray I see them....pray, pray, pray. Have no idea where I am going or doing other than Wash Park on Mon...very very early. :)

u2valleygirl said:
Oh my gosh, I love, love love this thread. I am 35 the mother of a 4 year old and a nine month old. I carpool children all over L.A. with U2 blaring at high decimals. If it's not U2 then it's Killers, Live or some other rocking group. U2 is #1 though. When I pull up to drop the kids off at their homes I have to turn down the music and sometimes even turn the station so that the mother's don't think I'm crazy.

My Children love rock (4 year old, I don't know about my 9 month old yet). Like so many of you I feel I am truly doing a great service to my children and the children that I carpool to expose them on a daily basis to the greatest music of our time.

All of you rock!

p.s. Stars, I hope too that my children feel the same way that you do one day.

I work for the insurance companies and meet with many of the Ventura Blvd. lawyers...keep your eyes posted for me and my BTFLDAY license plates up and down that route...U2 emblems in the windows...

Last week, I had a lady pull alongside me; she pointed to the plate and said, "That's the coolest plate I've ever seen, have a great day!" and she sped away...:up:

My deepest thoughts, as deep as I can come up with at 6: 30 on a Saturday

I confess when I opened that CD today and played it, I cried. It was both hearing that sweet sound again and for making it through some tough times and moods to be able to hear it again. Honestly my whole life I've always felt like an "outsider" and their music is one of the few things that didn't make me feel that way. I "got it" right away so many years ago, if you know what I mean. If I may be so sappy, I think U2 is especially for "outsiders" in a certain way that's difficult to explain.

No matter how annoyed and discouraged I get with life and honestly w/ some other U2 fans/extraneous BS, that's all that matters to me is hearing that sound of a U2 song. Like Bono has said, it is like church - it is for me. U2 is good for the soul.

Berto87 said:
I'm just kinda bummed that I'm not a bit older/ I would have loved to appreciate U2 through the Zoo TV era. I've only been a big fan for about 3 years now, even though my parenmts have had the Joshua Tree vinly lying around for most of my youth. I'm just glad I'm a fan of an band that isn't about to start embarrising me

ugh, me too. I would love to have had the opportunity to see U2 when Bono was still posing as MacPhisto and The Fly... it's a real shame, because I can't see them re-emerging. Ever. Goddamn my naive 5 year old self of the time, and goddamn my parents for not thinking to take their kid to a concert with a bizarre devil/Elvis character.

ree5669 - make sure you keep us updated about what happens! If I had £800 lying around handy, i'd hop on a plane and be there myself.

MrsSpringsteen said:
Honestly my whole life I've always felt like an "outsider" and their music is one of the few things that didn't make me feel that way. I "got it" right away so many years ago, if you know what I mean. If I may be so sappy, I think U2 is especially for "outsiders" in a certain way that's difficult to explain.

:hug:

I know exactly what you mean! When I first heard U2 back when I was a young'un something clicked with me right away, and I too had always felt like I was an outsider - I just didn't understand or relate to 99 percent of the people my age (or older people either, for that matter). I couldn't decide if I was an alien from another planet or I was just a normal person surrounded by pod people. For some reason listening to U2 made me feel like I wasn't alone anymore, and my life started to get better.

next sunday i'll be 33, am a single mother to a 8 yr old girl who loves rock n roll courtesy of me:D

couple days ago daisy was walking out of her classroom and she ran into my arms, then showing me her "punk rock" folder she won in class. we both did some kind of sign with our fingers with the billy idol snarl. the other parents looked at us as if we were insane.

i am just as bad as any u2 fan here. if not more lol...

I definitely feel like an outsider. Get this:

My girlfriend and I came from Bama (900 mi) tonight. We are here in NYC. I went to that site for MTV to get tickets for the "secret concert". When asked age: I told truth- 35. No dice.

When My friend did, we said DOB was 1981, she instantly got the tickets...REALITY she is 36. We prob will be booted since u have to show ID....they will realize we lied. Apparently you have to be young to get in. I am sure that is not the actual case in all circumstances, but it happened....3 hours later for my at 35, no responses. Her at supposed age 24, got tickets within 3 seconds. PISSED>

We got into the concert!!!!! We ended up front row center of Bono. Actually we were right beside Miroslava from PLEBA. All I had was my camera phone and I cannot figure out how to get them on the net. I cannot even attach them to an email. We had the trip of a lifetime. It exceeded my wildest expectations and dreams. I figured my plane would crash on the way home because all my luck had been used up.
I am trying to see if this camera phone pic works and I actually can upload.....fingers crossed. ;)

photo_007.jpeg

I love this thread.

Thank you Ree for starting it. As you can see, you are in good company here.

You are not alone - thank God we have these obsessions that make us feel free on occasion.

Back
Top Bottom