My best-friend no longer wants to be my friend anymore

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jesseu2

Refugee
I have never had a girlfriend ever in my life so a best-friend is all i've had...

We were very good friends until recently. He is 34 years old an keeps to himself, only has a cat and his other friend who i know also.

This weekend he tells me he no longer wants to be my friend and to stop calling him. That really hit me like a train because we were like brothers as we looked up to each other, partied, traveled, an talked about women, etc.

I admit i set him off a bit but he blows things way out of proportion. I know this is based on three things from the past. He dwells too much on the past an will not shut the hell up about it. I've apologized many times.

It all started in Vegas when i invited him to come meet a couple interferencers an see ELEVATION U2 TRIBUTE play. We sat down an somebody told him "thats my drink there, you must be in my seat" an he felt soo insulted that he left an went back to hotel an left Vegas like that. At the time i had no idea what happened, i tried talking to him but he would not answer me. Did not know what happened until i got back to hotel. I was excited to be there for the show an yet he just took off an left after 5 minutes. i should of left an went with him, i regret not doing that. But i think he is too sensitive an needs to grow up a little.

A friend and i were at his place during last summer. Friend notices $100 missing an kept buggin me if my friend took it.. so to shut my visiting friend up, i just tried asking him man to man an he lost trust in me.... now he's angry at me for somethin friend wondered. Visiting friend realizes he may have spent it unknowingly somewhere in hollywood. Friend was sick an throwing up alot an said he's been laying in bed with his ulcer problem, i WISH my visiting friend would have stopped asking about the $100, DAMN!

He's totally blown that out of proportion and has changed his password on his mac, he told me it before in case if something happened to him that i would go there and erase stuff before his parents get there.

Ever since then, he's sounded like a broken record repeating this event. sooo annoying.

2-3 weeks ago, he wanted to come visit as he always does once a year to meet up with his parents for this car show...,but i was tryin to tell him it wasn't a good time, stressful because my sister was moving in an wasn't sure he wanted to be here during this chaos that was going on (room mate, friend who went to LA with me.... was living here an arguing with his girlfriend non-stop, girl-friend has a kid that hangs around an is loud, i was broke because i paid off a credit card and did not plan on going out, stressed out looking for a job an not finding anything, i just wanted to be alone, so much of my own drama) and that it was crowded and right away before i could finish my sentence, he said he was insulted because he let me an a friend come to visit him..and i had a larger place than he does on but he wouldn't listen to me, just hung up... What the hell. Needs to be a grown up an listen to me, dammit.

Is all of this normal? Doesn't sound like it to me. It all sounds like high school crap.

He said very rude asshole things that was hurtful that i didn't sleep well this weekend until now... he's acting like a drama queen, too damn sensitive... like hes a crazy cat man.

For the past year, he has said he wanted to kill himself because he lost his grandmother and his cat, will not go see a doctor for some mysterious illness and his ulcer because he doesn't want to find out what he fears most an will not tell his parents either, has no friends in LA, no girlfriend, hates the people there as some broke his window, got in a fight for no reason, etc... All he does is sit at home an watch tv shows an movies pretty much from 8pm-3am, An go to school an work... no interaction with people in between. Only calls me after 3-4 am on weekends which is annoying as i am sleeping.

I never wanna see or hear from him again, he told me not to call him again. He told our friend everything but i do not know what he said to her which absolutely angers me. I really want to hurt him because he hurt me.

He kind of used me i think, knows i get money each month for my disability... got me into thinking "its your money, don't listen to your parents" an how cool would it be to have a big screen tv and PS3, sound system, etc. he is a audio/video guru an loves movies. Problem is i didn't have thousands of dollars, so i thinking i could pay it off on my own an get a job after college; put it all on credit card on top of other debts i owed already... BAD IDEA.. its nice an all but i'm stuck paying this off and am having a hard time paying this off and trying to find a job with the economy the way it is now... my mom is very pissed at him now.

He also turned me into pushing away religious people because we both are not religious at all. I feel terrible because i have ignored a couple people who cared about me an instead i put my best-friend first before everyone else. i am not sure these people will talk to me again..

Was i the bad guy in this friendship? He makes it sound like it.

I just feel very emotionally drained and really hurt now, needed to talk about it. I think he is mentally ill or something, i just am realizing it after 6 years. I am tryin to move on an accept it like a man but its very hard to forget everything he told me on phone, it all keeps replaying in my head... this has never happened to me before. I so want to get back at him by doing stuff to him but i probably should not.

He sounds like an immature teenager. The only way he'll grow up is the hard way. Talk to him about this and tell him how you feel. Sure, he'll get angry and call you all sorts of not very nice things, but at least it'll make him think about it. There's a fair chance he'll come back and apologize to you.

That's so awful, but I agree with GG, if you have the chance try to channel your own anger and just let him know how you feel about things - that you feel he has misjudged the situation and taken things out of context. It's always difficult but if he is really interested in salvaging the friendship he will listen and you guys can sort things out

Good luck :)

I hope I don't sound too insensitive here, Jesse, but why the hell would you even want to be friends with someone like this?

I mean any good times aside, (and it seems as if there were fewer and fewer as time has gone on), why would you consider continuing to seek his friendship?
I personally think you need to search within yourself as to why you feel the need to pursue a relationship with someone so emotionally destructive.
It seems as if he thrives on blaming everyone else for his misfortunes and can't handle responsibility.
Why would you want to be his babysitter?
This is a friendship, a partnership in life, good times and bad.
But really, he just doesn't have the maturity to appreciate what true friendship means.

I know it may be hard to let go, but if you seek other social outlets, you will find people that will be attracted to you without feeling like you have to give something in return
in order to just keep some one around for the sake of keeping them around.

Trust yourself.
:up:

Be honest with yourself, are you just holding on to this guy cos you have no-one else? Maybe if you let go you'll have more opportunity and drive to find a girlfriend or more buddies.

Dont just hang out with him cos you have no-one else, I mean if hes an arse then its not really worth it. He probably knows you dont have anyone so will take advantage of it too.

Bottom line, screw 'im. :up:

Your friend sounds incredibly immature and could benefit from some outside help. Maybe some time apart and you can both assess the situation somewhere down the line. :shrug:

:hug:

He sounds like an immature teenager. The only way he'll grow up is the hard way. Talk to him about this and tell him how you feel. Sure, he'll get angry and call you all sorts of not very nice things, but at least it'll make him think about it. There's a fair chance he'll come back and apologize to you.

That's so awful, but I agree with GG, if you have the chance try to channel your own anger and just let him know how you feel about things - that you feel he has misjudged the situation and taken things out of context. It's always difficult but if he is really interested in salvaging the friendship he will listen and you guys can sort things out

Good luck :)

i refuse to talk to him because he told me not call him again, he tells me i am making up excuses for not letting him come stay... if he would of let me finish my f***ing sentence and not hang up, he would have a heart an understand. He said he only comes out to see his parents and me in Arizona once a year (his folks come from Illinois for this car show here). But he just acts like a bitch an doesn't want to hear my side of whats going on. I'm realizing bits an pieces of him that i did an do not like over the years, an it finally came to realization. I will miss the friendship an the fun times we had but i am tired of his bullshit. It just hurts it had to end like this but maybe i will live better now not having to put up with this crap.

I hope I don't sound too insensitive here, Jesse, but why the hell would you even want to be friends with someone like this?

I mean any good times aside, (and it seems as if there were fewer and fewer as time has gone on), why would you consider continuing to seek his friendship?
I personally think you need to search within yourself as to why you feel the need to pursue a relationship with someone so emotionally destructive.
It seems as if he thrives on blaming everyone else for his misfortunes and can't handle responsibility.
Why would you want to be his babysitter?

I been wondering why i put up with him for so long, am having a dose of reality here flash before my eyes... maybe its just he accepted me for who i was inside an not the visible disability i have... but that was ok, its just all his other shit i put up with an to end like this is just wow, you know. By no means do i want to be his babysitter anymore, it was rough i gotta tell you... he would call me on the phone saying he's so lonely an be crying on the phone, a then 33 year old man, c'mon. I'm tired of that shit. I was there for him during hard times but it was stressful. I been thinking a lot this week. i'm noticing he has been emotionally abusive.

Be honest with yourself, are you just holding on to this guy cos you have no-one else? Maybe if you let go you'll have more opportunity and drive to find a girlfriend or more buddies.

Dont just hang out with him cos you have no-one else, I mean if hes an arse then its not really worth it. He probably knows you dont have anyone so will take advantage of it too.

Bottom line, screw 'im. :up:

I do have other people but he was a main figure in my life the past couple of years which is hard to let go but would be better for me if i did. I would love the opportunity to find a girlfriend, believe me. Good honest girls are hard to come by but I already got good buddies. I am currently looking for jobs out of state and would love to move some place new an start fresh.

Ok if he refuses to listen to you he's not worth trying to keep the friendship with. Get rid of him and find a real friend!

He sounds so immature. Some people still act like their in high school and thrive, just thrive, on the drama. It's really sad. He doesn't sound like he's been much of a friend to begin with.

His loss. Move on. Come to SoCal.
We'll party.

Thanks man, I might just come out an visit you an party sometime with you an other SoCal peeps but i'm staying the hell away from Hollywood which is where he(now ex-friend) lives. Won't be pretty if i see him again.

Hey, Jesseu2!

Sorry to hear that. It's always hurtful to lose your best friend. It feels like losing the love of your life.

Reading your story, I can only conclude that your friend suffers from depression or a bi polar disorder, such as borderline. He wants attention (leaving the concert for a fight over the seat, being insulted for no reason and nagging on things like a broken record).

You can get an ulcer because of stress. The reason that he doesn't want to see a doctor is only because he thinks that the doctor will find out that he is having issues.
Also, the reason he doesn't want to listen to your problems is that he can't handle his own, let alone that of someone else!
The way he lives, with no interaction with other people, locked in his room with the cats, thinking that something will happen to him, is an indication of depression.

He said he is afraid that something will happen to him and that he wants to kill himself. The majority of the people who say that is NOT planning to do that. (I wonder if his parents know about that)

I must say, and it sounds very harsh, that you should be glad that you and he ended the friendship. I think that, if you continued to apologize for the thing you didn't do, it would have drained you out more! You have helped him, you did enough, now he has to help himself.

And don't feel guilty about all of this. I can tell it's not your fault. I've had a friend like that when I was younger. She kept on saying that I was an egoist, whenever I met other friends, that I turned her down, I hurt her feelings because I didn't call her and she was so depressed. And I felt sorry for her, because she was picked on a lot in high school and felt that she was inferiour. Then I realized that she was like a jealous husband, hahaha! And that I continued to hang out with her because I felt sorry for her. That's no friendship! I was glad when she finally seeked help from a psychologist.

And about the religious friends you've turned down: Go and talk to them. Explain the whole story. Maybe they'll understand!

You'll be okay!:up:

Bonoa, my mom actually thought he wasn't normal for awhile there but didn't tell me. His parents do not know about any of this and told me not to say anything. I feel like i should but that would set him off more.

I still feel guilty like i did something wrong but at the same time he would not listen to me three weeks ago and that just pissed me right off.

I guess I am better off without him. I am remembering he gets insulted easily and it annoys the hell out of me.

oh boy, i never thought until now that he might have a bi-polar disorder.

I am feeling better now though.

Loose the bromance (he sounds like a wanker), try and get a girlfriend.

Jesse,

This is sage advice.

The guy is a leech, manipulator and played on your unecessary guilt-and he knew it.
You're one of the nicest, most genuine people I know.

If you ever bump into this guy again-turn around and RUN.

<>

depends on the friendship

i have kept my distance with a "friend who cant be just a friend to me"

it wouldve been damaging if i stuck around trying to find something that wasnt there, tainted friendships... arent they great?

I'm sorry, Jesse. It's always hard when long-term friendships end. It seems like this has been coming for a while, though.

You definitely deserve a better friend, and I'm sure one (or eight!) will come along unexpectedly. :)

I forgot to say he tried calling me back in February one night on my home phone line. I wasn't home.

Then an hour or so ago, I decided it was time to remove him from my myspace page...

Then in last 30 min, he's tried calling me three times on my cell and my home line but i ignored his calls as i still know his damn number. It pisses me off that he's trying to get a hold of me after he told me not to contact him again :angry:

What the hell does he want? I don't care anymore.

I have gotten a job in Wash DC area and will be moving there in 6-7 months after i go through background checks an stuff. Looking forward to this.

I am getting frustrated here...

he called again and left a message wondered if i'm ever going to speak to him again or let him know i'm not going to...

what the hell? Why doesn't he get it by now that i do not wanna talk to him again? I erased him from my myspace and my cell phone 2 months ago.

I don't wanna talk to this asshole whackjob ever again, period.

f***ing asshole :mad:

bad mood now

^

That's what answering machines and/or voice mail are good for. :yes: I screen my calls -- if people I don't want to talk to call, I simply don't pick up (and then delete any message they leave). Yeah, it's kind of irritating that he keeps calling and playing victim, but you have the power to just ignore him.

i just yelled at him on phone told him not to call again after he rang 4 times.... he was trying to apologize an i don't really give a shit anymore after 6 years of crazy up n down shit..

yet he called again after i told him not to.

I think he gets the point now

Hope he gets the point. Otherwise, ignore him. He's not worth getting so worked up about. If you ignore him long enough he'll get the hint(I hope!).

Back
Top Bottom