My 1st trial! terrified, clammy, naseous and faint!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FitzChivalry

Rock n' Roll Doggie VIP PASS
At the bottom of the ocean, in the deepest sea
My very 1st trial is scheduled to begin on Monday. I'm at work preparing the case and I'm soooooooo nervous just thinking about having to get up there and do this.

To top it off, looks like I'll be on my own for the gist of it, since most of the other attorneys in our small firm will either also be in trial, or covering depos and appearances for those of us in trial.

I don't know if I have the constitution for this. I'm a very shy, quiet, passive, introverted type. Getting up in front of a judge, court reporter, court clerk, baliff, 2 oppsing counsel (who each have about 30 trials under their belt!!!) and 12 complete strangers is just terrifying! As an added bonus, I represent the plaintiffs, so I have to go 1st for everything: opening statement, case-in-chief and closing statement.

I'm so stressed and it's still a day and a half away!

:yikes:

Just keep working hard to prepare yourself. Then you can go in there feeling confident that you're ready to do the best job you possibly can. Your firm has faith in you, or they wouldn't have assigned you the trial. Now you have the chance to prove to them that you can do it.

When you get in there, remember to speak slowly. Don't try to be someone you're not. That's something that helped me a lot when I first started teaching. I'm fairly shy, too, so instead of trying to lecture the whole time, I just made sure what I was saying was straightforward and concise.

You don't have to get everything perfect the first time. Do the best that you can, and try to think of it as the first step in a learning process. Good luck! :hi5:

I totally get where you're coming from. I'm working on my 2L summering applications now and crossing off every litigation-only firm, LOL.

It's probably something that gets easier with time. Kind of like the first time you moot, you're shitting your pants, but then it becomes less scary...until you come across the asshole appellate judge who decides to be mean to you and interrupt with a question 2.3 seconds after you've introduced yourself and co-counsel. But I disgress...

If you're nervous the best way to combat it, IMO, is to be super-prepared. That way even if you're not a naturally great public speaker, you will sound knowledgeable and people respect that. As far as the jury goes, likeability is a big thing. I heard somebody say that to connect with them, make eye contact and after you've held it for a second, smile. Apparently that works...

There's a first time for everything. Just be prepared, take a DEEP BREATH and dig in. I am sure once the first day is over you'll feel so much better. Good luck!

I don't know you and you don't know me, but, I wish you the best of luck....I might not be able to relate to your specific circumstance, but certainly have some measure of empathy for the situation in general...I am sure you'll do fine...and even if you do not, you'll learn from it and do better the next time....and better still the time after that, etc. As was said earlier, as long as you are 100% prepared, you'll more likely than not do just fine.

Good luck.

I feel for you -- I often feel ill just being in a public place, even without anyone's attention on me.

Just remember, the judge, the other attorneys, the court reporter, the baliff, the court clerk, etc., all had a first time too. And they all survived, as will you. And not only will you survive, chances are you will do just fine. Certainly you will get better and more comfortable at this as you get more experience, but I'm betting you will do fine this time too. If you do the best you can at the time, you will have succeeded. :yes:

Best of luck to you. Just be prepared.

Don't know if this is a good idea or not, but can you practice in front of a friend or something? :shrug:

:fingerscrossed: :hug:

LionelHutz.jpg

] Hutz: And so, ladies and gentleman of the jury I rest my case.
Judge: Hmmm. Mr. Hutz, do you know that you're not wearing any pants?
Hutz: DAAAA!! I move for a bad court thingy.
Judge: You mean a mistrial?
Hutz: Right!! That's why you're the judge and I'm the law-talking guy.
Judge: You mean the lawyer?
Hutz: Right

Just don't do that :wink:

And as always confidence is the key to success.

Last edited:
A_Wanderer said:
LionelHutz.jpg

Just don't do that :wink:

:lol:

Well, it's done. No trial. The case settled. We spent 3 hours back and forth in the judge's chambers and in the end I think we settled for more than our clients would've received from a jury. I would've liked to have seen our clients get a bit more money, but, that's why they call it a compromise.

BTW, nothing at all like I thought it was going to be. There's a LOT of administrative, procedural details that have to be worked out before you even get sent out to a "supervising" courtroom, who then in turn assigns you out to your final trial courtroom. I sure learned a lot.

I woke up terrified, but once I got to court, there was so much to do and get done that I didn't have time to be nervous, I just had to move and get it done.

:hug: :hug: :hug: BIG THANKS AND HUGS to all of you for your support! I'm glad I could come in here to moan and whine and relieve some of the tension. You guys and gals are awesome! Thanks for being my shrinks!!! :D

:applaud: Awesome news, Fitz.....Congratulations! So now you confident to return to the courtroom sooner rather than later? I'm sure you did fine and it'll continue to be a cakewalk for you throughout your career! :up:

FitzChivalry said:

Well, it's done. No trial. The case settled. We spent 3 hours back and forth in the judge's chambers and in the end I think we settled for more than our clients would've received from a jury. I would've liked to have seen our clients get a bit more money, but, that's why they call it a compromise.

BTW, nothing at all like I thought it was going to be. There's a LOT of administrative, procedural details that have to be worked out before you even get sent out to a "supervising" courtroom, who then in turn assigns you out to your final trial courtroom. I sure learned a lot.

I woke up terrified, but once I got to court, there was so much to do and get done that I didn't have time to be nervous, I just had to move and get it done.

:hug: :hug: :hug: BIG THANKS AND HUGS to all of you for your support! I'm glad I could come in here to moan and whine and relieve some of the tension. You guys and gals are awesome! Thanks for being my shrinks!!! :D

Happy for you that it worked out so well. I was wondering how it went for you! :wink: Congrats!

FitzChivalry said:

:applaud:

Back
Top Bottom