Moving For Love/Work/Life

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bono_man2002

Blue Crack Addict
Ok. So where to begin....

For about 13 months now I've been working at an engineering/surveying company. Like everything it has its days....but for the most part I really do enjoy the job. I just sort of sometimes have no idea what I'm doing!

They want to send me off to get an education locally, which at this stage won't happen till 2010!!....2010!!!...That means I'm going to be on this same cruddy pay packet until 2014!

So I've been doing some research about going to University and paying my own way to start first thing 2009. Yeah I still won't be finished the course for another 4 years, but I'm a year ahead of my works plans.

Although this is not the only reason I want to move. I live in a small (60,000+ People) Country, Town/City. And I just want out. Don't get me wrong, there's some parts of this place I love. But really....I'm just Sick of it, I need a change. Who knows....I could move back in 4 years time once the course is over. I just need a break from it...go way and see how things go elsewhere.

So my girlfriend of almost 11 months lives down in Melbourne (where I want to move) too. We've been living two and half hours apart since I've known her (Which is about 12-13 months now). I drive down to see her every Friday night and come back home Sunday evening (Some weeks where she has no Uni or Work she comes up to visit)....its not been so bad, but with rocketing petrol prices, its now costing me $150+ to get my car down and back each weekend. Plus more Importantly I miss her more than anything. Seriously I hate getting home at say 9pm on a Sunday night and then have just spent the last couple of days really close with someone I love, and then suddenly they are gone. I get a bit upset about it sometimes.

Also, I have most of my friends who live down that way.

So whats stopping me? First. I need to have some pennys saved up. Secondly I have to discuss with my folks. I'm going to need some financial support. I think I've worked it so bascially the only thing I might need help on is house rent.
My father has a family business around the area too....I can easily do a few hours work every couple of days there.
Also I think its going up to my boss and saying "thanks for giving me a job, but I need to move on"...and then my parents. Who seem to think I'm just moving because of my girlfriend. Yeah. Its a bit part of it, but its not just the only reason....I just think I'll be better off. Carrer Wise/Money wise/Life wise.

Anyway I have until August before I'm going to apply for University and stuff, but I really need to plan it

Sorry guys, but this has really been racking my brain for a few weeks now. I'd like to hear about your stories of similar situations...did everything work out for the better/worse.

I say go ahead and make the move. I did that during my divorce, moving my son and myself from northern california to southern california. Biggest thing I ever did and my son is always telling me it was the best thing I ever did for him. At the time he was 10, the timing was perfect as far as his having to change schools, etc and I had family down here. I am so proud of the fact I did it and would do so if I had it to do all over again. We've been here 10 years now. It was a huge decision but I did it. You can do it too, you'll be alright. It sounds like you have everything pretty well thought out.

Good luck to you whatever your decision!

Go for it!!! I moved from Adel to Melb when my then-partner got a transfer, and it was a good move for both of us. I changed careers (into one I'm still in now) and made some good changes in our lives. I'm back in Adel now (for other reasons) but I don't regret the move for a minute. Sounds like you've been planning it well and if you don't try, you'll never know.

Two positive comments. Thanks folks.

It's still all up in the air. I'm taking a week off work in Mid July (1 year anniversary) as well as to see where I want to go/be for next year.

Dan, mate, I say go ahead and do it. Being stuck all the way up in Shepparton (?) isn't going to do you any good in the long run anyway. :wink:

Nah seriously, go for it. You'll be right.

While I don't have that experience and most of my friends have stayed within our city....it sounds like you have 2 -3 really serious, genuine reasons for doing what you have suggested.
No real big "Cons" ( vs Pros) that I see here, esp since you can get work in the family business.

It's your life.....:yes:
Love IS important.
SO IS work/field of work/study you enjoy more than not!

If you feel you all around will have a better chance in your life by moving, I say "GO for it!"

There ARE too many people who have made decisions on such important things, and did them based on what their parents think (and sometimes others) AND have been UNHAPPY with the results over the years......or it suddenly #danws# on them years later -esp if they are unhappy and can't pin it down at first .

I'm not tlaking about decisions where un der particular circumstances where sometimes you have to compromise with others close to you.

Keep doing reasearch, talk to more people.

*GOOD LUCK*!!! :wave:

Back
Top Bottom