More Things I Hate

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Being the only guy in my sociology tutes...

We were discussing women in marriage either hyphenating their surname or just keeping their own, and in this new-fangled world we live in more and more women are doing one of the two. Now, if it were me, I would want the woman to take my name. Why? Bit of a traditionalist, I suppose, it'd just be nice and easier. So anyway the tutor asked the class and a few of the more feministic (a word?) girls started getting really riled up about. So the tutor goes, 'What do you think Daniel?' And all of a sudden I had about 30 girls just burning holes in my head, so I couldn't really say anything other than "Oh... I haven't really thought about it much..." :lol:

interesting. i've personally never had a problem with it, as long as my name ends up in there somewhere. i've never actually thought about it until recently, though.

:lol: you'd want her to take your name? :cute: i couldn't totally tell from your post, would you be totally against the idea of the hyphenating idea?

(fuck, too slow. but i'm obvs referring to daniel here)

:lol: you'd want her to take your name? :cute: i couldn't totally tell from your post, would you be totally against the idea of the hyphenating idea?

(fuck, too slow. but i'm obvs referring to daniel here)

yeah, personally. i haven't given it serious thought, and don't have a gf, so i can't really say if i'd be totally against it or not.

yeah, personally. i haven't given it serious thought, and don't have a gf, so i can't really say if i'd be totally against it or not.
ahh, i see. :D just curious. i'm a fan of hyphenating both surnames, personally. i personally can't see why i'd want to keep my maiden name when i'm married, but at the same time i don't want to lose it. so i think it's a nice compromise. but like you said, you can't really tell at this point. once you start seriously dating someone, even if it doesn't lead to marriage, you'll probably figure out for sure what you prefer. :)

yeah, tbh it's the kind of thing you never think about until you're in that position....or more accurately, never think about with any honesty until you're in that position.

that's a pretty good summation.

ahh, i see. :D just curious. i'm a fan of hyphenating both surnames, personally. i personally can't see why i'd want to keep my maiden name when i'm married, but at the same time i don't want to lose it. so i think it's a nice compromise. but like you said, you can't really tell at this point. once you start seriously dating someone, even if it doesn't lead to marriage, you'll probably figure out for sure what you prefer. :)

:yes: hell, maybe i'll even flip completely.

We were discussing women in marriage either hyphenating their surname or just keeping their own, and in this new-fangled world we live in more and more women are doing one of the two. Now, if it were me, I would want the woman to take my name. Why? Bit of a traditionalist, I suppose, it'd just be nice and easier. So anyway the tutor asked the class and a few of the more feministic (a word?) girls started getting really riled up about. So the tutor goes, 'What do you think Daniel?' And all of a sudden I had about 30 girls just burning holes in my head, so I couldn't really say anything other than "Oh... I haven't really thought about it much..." :lol:

You wuss. :tsk: Shoulda stood for your opinion!

Even if it would've cost you your head!

Though I'd agree with you, more likely because I hate my last name and would like to get rid of it.

You wuss. :tsk: Shoulda stood for your opinion!

Even if it would've cost you your head!

Though I'd agree with you, more likely because I hate my last name and would like to get rid of it.

hey :madspit: :p

:lol: I know, a few people have said that.

If one of my friend's married another one, and she kept her name, their last names would be Iatrou-Mitris-Klien-Breteler.. :lol:

If one of my friend's married another one, and she kept her name, their last names would be Iatrou-Mitris-Klien-Breteler.. :lol:

sounds like a swedish electronics manufacturer.

is true. i may have caught myself writing your name all hyphenated and stuff on papers i'm trying to keep track of wedding stuff on.

hey :madspit: :p

:lol: I know, a few people have said that.

:lmao: What the? That's quite a painful name!

My name is Dutch for rooster, I'd HAPPILY marry someone with a somewhat normal last name. :wink:

:lol: That's a nice one too!

I know another funny one but I'm not typing it here for the sake of everybody being able to google it and find that post.

Let's just say it's very very close to Fuck.

if you like scribbled mess, yeah.
:cute:

p.s.

photo2t.jpg

(idk, it was the only way i could work it in somehow)

I'd have been the 31st pair of eyes boring holes in your head :madwife:

I've never really understood this whole change your name business, it's the whole medieval leftover thingie from when wives were their husband's properties, ie when the father gives their daughter away at the altar, they are actually GIVING her away to another "owner", (and then did ya know the whole lifting of the veil thing is about the husband being promised in marriage to a woman he's never met and not seeing her face until they are legally wed (and presumably, when he can't recoil in horror and say no :lol: but that's a whole other story........ )

Anyways, what's my point, ah yeah, we're all individuals, our names reflect our heritage, so why would you deny a part of your heritage and change your surname?

Not against marriage per se, just some of the strange rituals attached with it....

And don't even get me started on the whole "Miss", "Mrs" thing either.... :grumpy:

I'd have been the 31st pair of eyes boring holes in your head :madwife:

I've never really understood this whole change your name business, it's the whole medieval leftover thingie from when wives were their husband's properties, ie when the father gives their daughter away at the altar, they are actually GIVING her away to another "owner", (and then did ya know the whole lifting of the veil thing is about the husband being promised in marriage to a woman he's never met and not seeing her face until they are legally wed (and presumably, when he can't recoil in horror and say no :lol: but that's a whole other story........ )

Anyways, what's my point, ah yeah, we're all individuals, our names reflect our heritage, so why would you deny a part of your heritage and change your surname?

Not against marriage per se, just some of the strange rituals attached with it....

And don't even get me started on the whole "Miss", "Mrs" thing either.... :grumpy:

What really pisses me off is when a woman is referred to as (for example) "Mrs. John Smith." Like she doesn't even have her own first name?? :angry:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom