MooMoo's annual "A year older and still no boyfriend" thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MooMoo!

New Yorker
I may make an event of it.

Apart from a doomed from the beggining online "thing" and getting kissed by some random guy, Ive had no man action in any sense. Ever. :|

Im working on it, Im just anti social so I never get out into "man" country. Or even civilisation. Whatever.

anyway, do share if you're in the same boat. :wink:

Been there. Not fun. Eventually things get better. But, generally, I'm under the belief that women can go out and "get some fun" anytime they want. There's plenty of willing men out there to oblige.

I hear that a lot, but you know, not every woman who's lonely is comfortable with going out and picking up some random guy.

I mean really - who does that?

MrPryck2U said:
Been there. Not fun. Eventually things get better. But, generally, I'm under the belief that women can go out and "get some fun" anytime they want. There's plenty of willing men out there to oblige.
Yeah, very untrue. Although I do sometimes think thats how it is with guys. Although thats mainly cos round here, girls my age are somewhat...loose. :|

I have a problem with actually finding a guy I like. So I dont usually have anyone to focus my attentions on. Most guys my age (18) repulse me. :grumpy:

MrPryck2U said:
You'd be surprised.

Well, no I wouldn't, because it takes all kinds to make the world go round.

I'm just saying, most women who say they're lonely and want a boyfriend aren't wanting to go and grab some random guy in a bar - they want a relationship.

And for some people, meeting new people is hard.

Edit: Goodness, you're only 18? Don't be in such a hurry. There's LOADS of time to meet someone you like, and hey - wait a few years and you might find some guys your own age who aren't so repulsive. :wink:

I know it's easy to roll your eyes at us old farts who say stuff like that. :wink:

Last edited:
MooMoo! said:
Yeah, very untrue. Although I do sometimes think thats how it is with guys. Although thats mainly cos round here, girls my age are somewhat...loose. :|

I have a problem with actually finding a guy I like. So I dont usually have anyone to focus my attentions on. Most guys my age (18) repulse me. :grumpy:

With all due respect, you're only 18, so you're not really in a position to say "very untrue".

But, yeah if you're looking for a boyfriend/relationship, you wouldn't go to a bar to pick up a guy for the night. You'd choose another way to meet people.

MooMoo! said:
I may make an event of it.

Apart from a doomed from the beggining online "thing" and getting kissed by some random guy, Ive had no man action in any sense. Ever. :|

Im working on it, Im just anti social so I never get out into "man" country. Or even civilisation. Whatever.

anyway, do share if you're in the same boat. :wink:

but your location??? :scratch:

Well, Ive been out many times to pubs (underage leik omgz) and I wouldnt touch the guys with a shitty stick, whether I liked them or not. I wouldnt really deem meeting people in alcohol situations as a good way to find someone you like. I know most people meet their partners that way, but the whole drunken thing just to me is stupid. Plus the fact I dont trust men in pubs or clubs. (drugs etc)

But yeah, I cant get a job, so I cant meet people in that respect. I see guys who work in shops but its not as if you can really hang around to talk to them.

Also I dislike most people in college,as theyre all twats. But hey, Im still hopeful. :wink:

It's funny, I've met women in all sorts of different situations. Yes, it's the not wisest move to meet someone in a bar or under inebriated circumstances, but there have been times where that's worked. Lol! Anyway, maybe there's a social club at your school where you could meet someone with similar interests to yours.

Last night I was working the polls for a local democratic candidate, and there were a couple guys there for the Republican. While they were all nice, this one guy was really annoying and all of a sudden started going on about relationships and whatnot...I had just met the kid (well he's 22). He asked me if I had a guy, I told him I just enjoyed being single.

Then, he asked me how long I had been single! :huh: Rather than saying "Oh, 21 years" I just said "Oh, I don't even know how long" :rolleyes:

I felt it was kind of rude for him to ask me that having just met me. Oh well, I'll probably never see him again :shrug:

I was a late bloomer. I didn't have a proper boyfriend until I was ... (counts on fingers) .... 24 or so.

Sure, I got annoyed by my inability to find a mate from time to time, and sometimes I wondered if there was something wrong with me, but no big deal. I'm pretty independent.

i still don't get the pressure for a relationship at such a young age. we're not living in medieval times anymore, we CAN be single once we hit our teens and there's nothing wrong with that.

i'm a late bloomer too, and i'm still counting :wink:
doesn't matter though, i'm enjoying the single life for now and i don't see anything wrong with it. i'm pretty independent, however i'm certainly not lonely :shifty:

unico said:
i still don't get the pressure for a relationship at such a young age. we're not living in medieval times anymore, we CAN be single once we hit our teens and there's nothing wrong with that.

i'm a late bloomer too, and i'm still counting :wink:
doesn't matter though, i'm enjoying the single life for now and i don't see anything wrong with it. i'm pretty independent, however i'm certainly not lonely :shifty:

Oh?:ohmy:

You've got plenty of time, don't worry. I met my first boyfriend when I was 18, and he was a complete controlling ass for a year and a half and I didn't date again until I was 22. Take your time and wait for the right guy.

I was happily single for a few years; I would have liked a boyfriend but I couldn't imagine the commitment. I was traveling, working retail and making plans at bizarre times with my other retail friends, not to mention living at home in my childhood bedroom. Adding a guy to the mix just didn't make sense. Until suddenly it did make sense, when I least expected it.

corianderstem said:
I was a late bloomer. I didn't have a proper boyfriend until I was ... (counts on fingers) .... 24 or so.

Sure, I got annoyed by my inability to find a mate from time to time, and sometimes I wondered if there was something wrong with me, but no big deal. I'm pretty independent.

:up: Same here.

I always get "you're too picky" but I'll be damned if I'm lowering my standards. I went out with a guy last week who I've known for a long time but never dated before. Somehow I guess the familiarity led him to believe that it wasn't necessary to clean his house (esp the bathroom) before I came over. Bad move on his part because he obviously really likes me. But no second dates for those who don't clean. I don't have the time or desire to train grown men in cleanliness and personal grooming. It's a total dealbreaker.

I'm 25, and have never had a boyfriend. I'm extremely picky with who I go out with, and I'm not someone who dates someone just for the sake of having a boyfriend. I've known people who've done that, and they were miserable. Its not something I want to put myself through.

I'm 19 and I've always been single (well we're not gonna count middle school as those aren't real relationships. although the fact that some kids have sex in middle school terrifies me...i didn't even kiss anybody then and I really didn't want to!) it definitely gets to me, but I mean obviously I'm not gonna date a guy unless I really like him. also i'm kind of in love with somebody. it sucks. but that doesn't really hold me back. I guess I just haven't met the right person yet? I dunno. Sometimes I think there's something wrong with me.

I find it incredibly distressing that kids still think they're late-bloomers if they haven't done the entire girls' locker room twice by the age of 17. It's sick, really. Most teens would collapse from fear and exhaustion if they had an extra assignment thrown on them that they weren't expecting, so they certainly wouldn't be able to handle a steady, serious relationship on top of all that. Probably best to enjoy your freedom while you still can. Love jumps on you at the most inopportune times.

[/still single]

MooMoo! said:
. Plus the fact I dont trust men in pubs or clubs. (drugs etc)

But yeah, I cant get a job, so I cant meet people in that respect. I see guys who work in shops but its not as if you can really hang around to talk to them.

"i cant get a job and and i cant meet people"

you get what you give in the universe. change your thinking and things will change for you but stay away from bars. the guys there are :yuck: .

zonelistener said:

Out of curiosity...how bad was it?

:hmm:

Well....even after I lowered my standards considerably to that of a normal sloppy guy's housekeeping, I was still horrified. Let's put it this way: I squatted over the toilet like I do in a gas station bathroom.

Then it got worse. He's a yoga teacher (and an excellent one) and was showing me some poses to help prepare me for beginning yoga. I took one look at his toenails and knew when I walked out the door I would not return, nor would I return his phone calls. I mean, really. I was seriously offended. Sad thing is, I enjoy talking to him and have known him for many years, which is always a good way to begin a relationship. But his lack of grooming and housekeeping skills, while trying to impress a woman with his yoga and strong intellect, said all I need to know about him.

Attention men: GROOM for God's sake--nails, ears, nose hair, clean clothes, clean bathroom. It's kind of a no-brainer yet if you don't know how, get a gay friend. I can't say it enough, actually.

But the good news is that I didn't lower my standards and go into that self-deprecating mode of "well, he's the best I can do right now, I shouldn't be too picky because I don't exactly have a line forming outside my door and [worst of all] maybe he'll change."

And then a really, really stunning man asked me out for this weekend. :cute:

Funny thing is, because I'm not interested in Sloppy Man, I have unconsciously been following The Rules
http://www.therulesbook.com/topten.html which I always thought were dumb, but man are they working. I keep ignoring him, saying I'm busy and not returning his phone calls, and it's driving him crazy! Now he's got to have me! Tough luck.

joyfulgirl said:
I took one look at his toenails and knew when I walked out the door I would not return,

Okay, that made me laugh a lot. :lol:

I probably would have done the same, but I have a weird thing about feet. I have the anti foot fetish.

corianderstem said:

Okay, that made me laugh a lot. :lol:

I probably would have done the same, but I have a weird thing about feet. I have the anti foot fetish.

Me, too! :laugh:

Back
Top Bottom