Monday, I have to drop a bomb..

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

z edge

I serve MacPhisto
on my boss.

I will have to go and sit down and tell him that I am leaving the company after only 5 brisk months.

I have been in this situation a few times before, but this should prove to be the hardest. I have a really good boss who I do not want to let down. He is very laid-back, very fair and open to discussion. Not the usual traits of a Quality Manager in the field of manufacturing. He gave me a couple of days off and arranged my position to be covered so that I could go and see U2 last fall. More importantly, he gave me a chance last summer when I was seeking a job in an oppressed economy after being out of work for 4 months.

Of course my timing couldn't be any worse. Our department is shifting our focus and it's taking a lot of "vigilance" on all of our parts. I am even scheduled to attend a training seminar nest week. I hate to have to see them try and bring somebody else in with all of the chaos going on, especially after they just got me up to speed.

Of course, I am a fool to stay. I was just offered a position with the DOD that I applied for last july, and it ties in with my previous military experience. Better benefits, hours, $$$, better everything.

Anyway, I really feel guilty about dropping a bomb on my boss. The company has also treated me very well.

frown.gif

that's a tough one z edge, but I think he'll understand, and there are probably a lot of good people out there just like you who are looking for work, it shouldnt be impossible to bring someone in, granted it's inconvenient and a hastle, but what can you do? it's always been my understanding, that in the end, companies will always do what's best for the company, and thus people should do what's best for themselves... they'll survive, you might not get another opportunity as good as this for quite some time, don't feel guilty about doing what's best for you!

I'm sure that your boss will be very understanding if you said the nice things about him. And I think he will understand that you could not pass up such a great oppportunity. Good luck to you!
smile.gif

Gina Marie - if that was the Department of Drool, i think z edge would be a major boss for life there.
biggrin.gif

Seriously now, z: if your boss is as great as you describe him, this thing just might work out better than you think.
smile.gif

Thanks everybody,
You all are really helping me out. In difficult times, it helps to know if you are making the right decisions , and advice is always welcome. Despite all of the "tom-foolery" we usually share, I consider you all my friends and value your opinions with gratitude.

I will still have to go see my boss tomorrow, and one reason I didn't tell him this friday was I wanted him to have a good weekend and relax with his family without worrying. You all have given me a some releif with your encouragement.

Thanks again friends
XOXOXO

Aw-I consider you my friend too.
smile.gif

It's quite obvious from this thread, and many others, what lies beneath all that 'tom foolery' of yours-but I could tell that all along anyway.

XOXOXO

------------------
If you are really good friends with The Edge, you can just call him The~ Adam
The right side of my brain is kinda redundant~ Larry
No, I will not do the snake dance for you~Bono

Congrats on your new job Z edge. Your boss sounds like a great guy. You are doing your best too, to leave on good terms. Perhaps buy him a present to say thanks for everything he has done.
Everything will work out for the best.

smile.gif

Good luck z edge! I am going through the exact same thing. I have a wonderful, sweet, "dream" boss who stands behind me, encourages my U2 obsession and even makes up excuses for me when I fail at things, because she is so keen on my succeeding.

I have been in this job not quite a year, and am already considering some other options, (because the job iteslf is boring me to tears!) but the only thing holding me back is the horrible thought of dropping the same bomb on her.

Be sure and let us know how it goes!

Talk about irony!

After I spoke with my boss today, he gave me his best regards and encouragement and told me not to hesitate to call him if I ever need anything.

What I wasn't prepared for was this, he sighed of relief and stated that there is a lord above and this is proof of it. He didn't want to see me go regardless, but he was informed this morning from corporate that he had to make some cutbacks in the salary workforce (the hourly employees suffered layoffs 2 weeks ago). He was dreading seeing me because it was probably me that would be layed off, even if temporarily, and he wasn't looking forward to telling me.

hmmmmmmm

Needless to say, we were both relieved
smile.gif
And yes, there is a Lord above
smile.gif

Thanks Zonedude!

_ooropamanda,
I can't have no beer because I stil have to go in and work tonight!!!!!
Unless they tell me different, I will still work until Next wednesday
frown.gif

[This message has been edited by z edge (edited 02-25-2002).]

Yeah I've been on that end of the stick too. Letting someone go is real hard, and unless they are getting canned for being a big ass you always have guilt feelings about it afterwards.

Just a couple of weeks ago we layed-off the low seniority hourly workers. We told them that we would bring them back in 2-4 weeks and would help them get unemployment benefits for the duration. As I went around collecting their individually assigned measuring tools, I sensed fear in some that they thought they might not be called back. We tried to assure them that we wanted them back, that they were a good crew and all. Hopefully they will be able to bring them back soon, but if they are starting to lay off the salary staff then I fear for those guys.

Back
Top Bottom