Migraines

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

U2Girl1978

Blue Crack Addict
Lately, I've been getting seriously bad migraines up to the point where I have to puke. :( Has anyone dealt with this? I don't have high blood pressure but I am somewhat over my weight limit. I'm starting to get worried that it could be something worse. Am I overreacting???

Doesn't sound normal to me and you ought to go see a doctor.

I suffer from them occassionally and it's normally stress that triggers them off.

I get them too. I've talked to my doctor about them but I don't get them often. Both my mother and sister get them and have had medication prescribed.

Mine seem to have to do with stress whereas theirs do not.

neutral said:
I get them occasionally too, puking, vision problems/flashes of light, etc. :grumpy: I've never gone to a doctor about them though.

Yea, light seems to really hurt my eyes whenever I get a migraine. Blah... I've had this migraine for most of the day today. :(

Screwtape2 said:
It could also be a dential problem or something to do with your vision. So if the doctor finds nothing wrong with you that would cause this then I would say get your vision checked and next time you see your dentist tell him about them.

It could be because of my glasses since I've had them for awhile or because of stress or because of what I'm eating. I feel like I'm getting these headaches practically every day though. Which is starting to worry me like crazy.

This morning when I woke up it hurt so bad, I couldn't keep anything in my stomach. :sick:

I will occassionally get a migraine that causes light sensitivity and feel sick to my stomach but thankfully it doesn't happen often.

Sounds like maybe you should go and see your eye doctor. Perhaps your glasses need to be changed. I hope you feel better soon :hug:

I get bad sinus migraines every few weeks. Generally wake up with one in the morning and it'll last clear till midnight. I get really sick to my stomach with them too, all the way to the point where I can't even keep down water. It's very fun when you have a throbbing pain behind your eye, stuffed up nose, and are puking, not!

Have you just started getting them? Either way, it'd be good to play it safe and get it checked out anyway. Hope you start feeling better soon :hug:

I've had migraines since high school. I go through periods where I'll get them every day for a month then I can go months without one. I've had a lot lately because of stress, lay down in a dark room with an ice pack.

I have prescription medication for it. I've had mri's and catscans I think now that it's hormonal/stress for me at least.

I've done really well on seasonale birth control, basically you get no period and it has helped.

FYI caffeine helps a migraine my prescription is a barbiturate mixed with caffeine. Also, Throwing up actually temp. relieves a migraine by releasing endorphins.

If you go to a hospital and they offer you meds. I had the best luck with a compazine drip. Also narcotics can cause rebound headaches giving you an endless cycle of pain.

Just my experience Jules, You should see a dr. Hope you can get it taken care of :hug:

I have been getting migraines for the past 4-5 years and I have medication for them. Like kat, I've had the mri's which are inconclusive so my Dr says they are hormone and stress related. Mine are sometimes the puking kind....really nauseous and really sensitive to light and sound so I am out all day once I take the med. My Dr says to drink LOTS of water, and of course caffeine sometimes helps. They are not fun and I wouldn't wish my migraines on my worst enemy. Everyone's different and seems the headaches are also....just keep trying different remedies till you find some that work for you.

U2Girl1978 said:

My dad was making me nervous saying I should go to the hospital. I probably should. :slant:

It's definitely a wise thing to have it checked out. When it comes to your health, anything is possible, and it's best to have a doctor size things up if your pain is still intense.

I had my very own migraine experience a few weeks ago. I never get sick, but on this day, it was as if my brain had short-circuited. The sensation was so strange...it felt like a sharp nail was being tapped into my skull, with excruciating pain radiating throughout my body. I felt so ridiculous when it happened. I was walking down a street by myself, and just got a nauseous, out-of-body feeling. The embarrassing part happened when I spotted a guy next to me sitting in his truck. I just walked up to him and said "Hi, I think I need to go to the hospital." :lol:

He didn't hesitate, thankfully, and I was seen very quickly in the ER. The staff were incredible. As soon as you mention anything pertaining to the head, they bump you up on the waiting list, or so it seemed with me. Anyway, to speed this up a bit, they scanned my head, did blood tests, the whole deal. Nothing. Apparently I'm the epitome of health, but my brain certainly felt exactly the opposite that day, and for about a week and a half after.

The official diagnosis was that I may have had a 'Cluster Migraine' from stress, or that I could have developed a caffeine sensitivity of some kind. I actually think it was the latter, because earlier on the day of the first headache, I started out with a large coffee, went for a two-hour hike in the heat, then had another coffee immediately afterwards...all without a bite to eat. Pretty stupid, I now realize. When it gets really warm out, I tend not to eat a lot, and during that week of warm weather, I was probably consuming more coffee than food.

I hope you feel better soon. It sounds corny, given the fact that my situation wasn't critical, but after going through this, I have a greater appreciation for life, and also for the great medical system we have here in Canada.

I periodically get them to the point of being ill. I'm okay as long as I have my Zomig on hand. Sometimes they get in a cycle where they go on for days and my neck and shoulder hurt too. At that point I can't tell if the migraine is making my neck and shoulder hurt or vice versa. At that point my doctor prescribes a muscle relaxer to break the cycle. You should definately get it checked out if it has been going on for a while. Keep us posted.

I get them, but I doubt my experience will help you because mine are hormonal/related to my period. I used to get them on for two days, off for three, then on again for three days, every month. Birth control has made them go from migraines to just annoying headaches that are more manageable with regular drugs.

Bloody hell, angel/devil! Lucky the guy was friendly and willing to help. And thankfully nothing was wrong.

I cant offer any advice. I used to get migraines relentlessly, at least one a month, sometimes up to one or two a week. Then, as with many things in my life, they mysteriously disappeared - like ships in the Bermuda Triangle. I dont know why they went. But they are coming back again, slowly. Not as severe as I used to get them. I have no idea at all what triggers mine. I've taken all kinds of drugs for them and got to the point where my dr was going to prescribe me these tablets which someone in Canberra had to approve a script for, but I backed off and said forget it, I'll learn to live with the pain.
I think next stop for me is acupuncture. Too many people swear by it, and best of all, no drugs. Which reminds me, I've been wanting to start a thread on who has used acupuncture and what for and how it worked. Maybe it is a good time.
:hmm:

i definitely think you should see a doctor - not because i think its anything serious (no need to scare you!), but simply because even if you are suffering from "just" migraines, a doctor may be able to pinpoint their underlying cause and help you deal with them.

i think everyone else has offered the standard advice which may find a solution - get your eyes tested and let your dentist know (if you grind your teeth in your sleep that can build up a lot of tension which can cause headaches)
and failing that your doc should be able to help you find whatever it is that triggers them.

we can all offer advice but everyones different too, some people find caffeine helps while its one fo the things that kicks mine off - caffeine, dehydration, tiredness and the all time favourite - stress!
speak to your family as well as migraines are hereditary apparently...

hopefully whatever is causing it now will lessen up as well... i know i go through patches - i'll get a bout of really bad migraines on an almost daily basis and then i won't get them at all for months again.
luckily i'm not as bad as many - a migraine has only ever caused me to be physically ill a few times, normally i just get very nauseus and most of the time lying down in a cool dark room with a lot of painkillers will suffice till it goes away.

at the moment i'm struggling with them because i've been working way too hard (in front of a computer 12 hours a day isnt' very good for you i think) and i've hurt my neck which is giving me an almost constant normal headache which, with the stress it causes, has a tendancy to escalate....

as i say, i think everyone is different and what causes mine or someone elses migraines may not be a problem for you, so really the best thing is to see your doctor about it and hopefully he should be able to get to the bottom of whats causing it and help you out.

hope you get it sorted, its not a nice thing to live with :hug:

I get migraines every so often..:down: My advice is to wear your sunglasses, drink caffine, and eat normally because that is very important...If that still doesnt work I strongly advice you to go to the doctor just incase you know what is up with your body/head...Hope you feel better..Also If you are on the computer almost 24/7...give it a break because when sometimes i'm on the computer A LOT it gives mean bad migraines..

:up: sunglasses... squinting in the sun definately gives me migraines

I've had migraines 2-3 times a week since I was a very small child (I'm 23 now).. they're not as bad now as they used to be, but still at least once a week. I didn't get diagnosed correctly until about three years ago, my doctor just kept giving me antibiotics for sinus infections.
Here are some things I try to do..
A regular sleeping schedule, because I ALWAYS get them on Saturdays because I sleep in.
My current theory is that I also get them because of dehydration - I didn't get a single headache the first month I was here (tiny tropical island in the caribbean), and I think it was because I was running around outside and chugging down water. Then I moved into the lab and started drinking things other than water and they came back.
The weather does it too, not that you can help that... we had a tropical storm pass by a few weeks ago and that (ok.. combined with running out of air while scuba diving) put me out of comission for about 4 days
I also try to avoid caffiene altogether, because I get migraines from caffiene withdrawl.
In the summer time I will also get them if I go from a very hot environment to an air-conditioned environment, such as my hot car to a cool store and back to the hot car.

I find the best treatment, if I don't have any relpax or imitrex, is to lie in a reclining (not totally horizontal) position with an ice pack on my head in a dark room. Since my migraines are sinus related, lying all the way down makes them hurt worse because it makes my sinuses ache.

Drugs-wise, Relpax works better for me than Imitrex, but they both work... and though taking too much sudafed works in theory, it's also kind of like speed and gives me heart palpatations. So I wouldn't recommend that.

Damn Global warming! Global warming made the UV rays against us :mad:

I guess we have to fight back! Who's with me?

Back
Top Bottom