MERGED--> I think I made a big mistake + Me and my inability to be assertive

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

meegannie

Blue Crack Addict
I think I made a big mistake.

Hmm...I don't really feel comfortable talking about this, but here's the most serious confession I've ever made.

Since I was three years old, I wanted to be a veterinarian. Then in high school, I decided that I hated chemistry so much that it wasn't worth it. :| So I decided to go with history, and I graduated from college with a BA in history and political science. I'm getting my MA in modern history in the fall, and while I love history, I don't have any desire to work in any history-related field. I've tried working in politics/government and have become incredibly disillusioned, I would be a HORRIBLE teacher because of my inability to communicate, and I'm too much of a perfectionist to be any kind of historical writer. More than anything, I want to be a vetrinarian, but I think I've backed myself into a corner now. I'm going to have over $28,000 in student loans after next year, and nothing to show for it other than two pieces of paper that are completely useless for what I REALLY want to do. The worst part is that I wasn't even BAD at chemistry in high school; I got an A. I just didn't love it as much as I loved biology.

So that's where I am. I don't regret majoring in history because I really love it (poli sci was a bad idea, but the english department at my school was awful and there was no art history major), and I'm looking forward to studying history next year, but it's after that that I'm worried about. I don't want to be stuck in a desk job again. I want to do something that makes a tangible difference....like working with endangered animals or anything, really. I would honestly go anywhere, but without any sort of degree in zoology, biology, or any other type of science, I don't think I'd be qualified.

It's just a mess and I feel really lost now because I'm the type of person who HAS to plan ahead and I have no idea what I'll do after my MA program is finished. :slant:

Last edited:
you know meggie, a lot of places like the WWF use writers with history degrees....maybe you can look at those kind of options?

:slant: I always wanted to be a vet too.. I'm 30 years old with no college education.

You should be very proud of yourself.

:hug:

:hug: i know exactly what you mean here....

Like lilly said, there are a lot of organizations, non-profits, ngo's, etc that deal with endangered animals, etc, that need people to write, organize, plan, and all...that might be a good path to take. Even if you could do something like that, maybe at some point you could look at doing vet school part time. You have forever, it'd never be too late to try that out. One way I think you might be able to get invovled is during your fresher's fair at the start of the year - maybe join some student organizations that deal with that sort of thing. They'd also look good on an application if you start applying for related jobs. Oh, another thought - especially when you are in revision time at school, you'll have some free time - maybe find an organization like that in nottingham and see if you can volunteer a day a week or something. This honestly seems to be the way in. We also know a former wildlife ranger that might have an idea...;) As for now, while you aren't on the track academically to being a vet, I've noticed that if you want to just work at the organization, the degree isn't as important specifically (esp in the UK).
I think a lot of people feel this way about what they are doing, but if you know what you'd like to do (as opposed to a more aimless, 'i shouldn't be doing this but i don't know what to do'), then you can start doing little things now to move in that direction and see if it's right for you. You'll have a great time next year though, and get a great education in something that i really think will be useful in any field - also, here, just having a masters is a pretty big deal. Anyway, I"ll stop rambling. ;) Hang in there. :)

Many people end up working in areas outside of the field they studied in school. You won't be as limited as you think you will. Often employers are looking for smart, educated people (like you) and not necessarily for someone with a particular major. And if you decide later that really want to be a vet...you still could.

(And Sicy, you are certainly young enough to do it ,too.)

Lemon Meringue said:
Many people end up working in areas outside of the field they studied in school. You won't be as limited as you think you will. Often employers are looking for smart, educated people (like you) and not necessarily for someone with a particular major. And if you decide later that really want to be a vet...you still could.

(And Sicy, you are certainly young enough to do it ,too.)

that's so true cause i'm not working in my particular field of study either.

i know how ya feel cause it happened to me as well. i have a degree in kinesiology which i don't use and i'm 30 grand in debt cause of it. not much i can do about it know....i just have to make the best of it.

at least you are one step ahead of me in that you actually know what ya wanna do. i have absolutly no clue whatsoever. :der:

Hmm...if you still like history, consider being a professor in it. Sure, you'll have to teach it, but you'll also have time to experiment and do your own research into something that interests you in the field, no matter how preposterous it may seem to the non-academic world. I know too many professors who are in their job for the research aspect, and, as you can see, wouldn't teach if they had the choice.

For your Ph.D, diversify a bit and try and get a different angle in history / culture. Anthropology? Archaelogoy? Paleontology? If you get a historical bent, but more in terms of scientific history, maybe you'll enjoy it more.

Anyhow, now's the time to think about it. If you really don't like history, don't get an MA in it! What are your other interests?

Melon

Last edited:
It's crazy how similar my story is to you. I too have a history degree, I too like it but cannot think of any job in it I'd enjoy, I too would ideally like tyo work with animals...

I do have a biochem degree as well which may open some options, but factor of the matter is, in two months I will have 2 degrees, neither of which I'm keen on working with. I have my parents breathing down my neck, wanting me to go to Alberta where they are to get a high paying job....soon I'm gonna flip out when they bring it up again, I just know it

fact is, meggy, there are millions like you. You are young, very smart, with a bright bright future ahead for you. The fact you will have a MA only means you will have more options with chance for a more diverse career.
And dont think it's too late to go back and do a chem or biology degree; my mom is almost 50 and she just completed a university degree!! You could work and just do a course or two each semester.

don't be too pessimistic...you eyhor you!!! I have a feeling if you knew the life you're gonna have 10 years down the road, you would be giddy with exitement!

me and my inability to be assertive

well...
as I mentioned in Meggy's thread...this June I will have completed a BSc in Biochemistry and a BA in History.
I like both of them...but they are in no way involved with what I would ideally want to do with my life.

see...what consumes me is a love of all things musical - I just love this mysterious form of communication!!
I'm in a band and we are gonna make a honest effort at getting this off the ground. We know that the odds are stacked against us but where is the fun in just letting statistics rule your life? I don't want fame or vast mounds of gold..I just want to make a decent living off playing music. I think that is very acheiveable.

so...we're moving to the greater Toronto area this fall to make a new start...but I don't know how to tell my parents. Dad keeps bugging me to come up to Alberta and find a high paying job...every damn phone call he sneaks in little hints and such...it is frustrating...
they don't know why I want to move to Ontario and I don't know how to tell them...they will not be happy to learn their son is in a band and wants to make a go of it.
Plus...we play in...*gasp*...bars and clubs!!! Being the strict pentecostals they are when they find all this out they will think I am damned for sure. They will be holding prayer meetings in church for their lost and wayward son...I can see it now.

I don't know how to tell them.

I plan on working too, of course...I think I can find a decent job in Hamilton with my uni degrees
maybe if they know that they will be more accepting of me being in a band!

eugh....why must everything in life be so laden with petty politics???

Ive been filling out scholarship application forms a lot lately, and its been asking me what I want to do with the future degree which I will be acquiring... And since Im applying to history, it really put the pressure on me to think about it.

Now, the options are teaching, politics, historical research, and law - primarily at least. If youre not too good at teaching, dont enjoy politics (and by extention the stresses of law), that might seem somewhat limiting, but along the lines of what Shannon was saying with the WWF, there is also the possibility of getting into the National Parks system. Thats been a very serious consideration of mine, after all, I love history, I love camping, Parks Canada hires people with specialization in Canadian History who are willing to do research for their historical sites, monuments, and parks - Ive been joking a lot about being a park ranger too, but its not that farfetched, as the system hires people with just those kinds of qualifications. Now, I dont know a whole lot about you Meggie, not even where youre from, I hit reply without even looking in fact, but I would suspect that the parks system in most other places is set up in a fashion that somewhat resembles the Canadian one (or the Canadian one resembles others if you prefer). By and large, dont feel limited, be creative about how you can apply a history degree to things which seem unrelated to history. I argued the point home with one of my friends that a Psychology degree would be useful in the field of advertisement, just be creative, youve got a whole world open to you :)

Take care, I hope you find what youre looking for :wave:

Say you want to live in Ontario, because you don't want to go back to boring old Alberta (is Alberta boring? LOL), and you want to make a life for yourself in Ontario, where all the jobs and population are. Don't tell them you're in a band. Why do they need to know? Since you want a "real job" in addition anyway, just tell them about that.

Melon

true...very true

I made a step today and told dad that there are more things to consider than just how big the dollar sign is.

Fort Macmurray, Alberta would lead to me death through boredom

like melon said, just tell them you think there will be more job opportunities if you move there. you wouldn't have to tell them about them about the band, at least right away, in case things didn't work out. but I wish you the best of luck Bassy! Just don't forget us after you become a famous musician :hug: :sexywink:

I don't actually have any kind of useful comment to make, but I wanted to say that I really understand what you're saying. I always wanted to be a doctor when I was in school, and I gave up on that ambition because of having to take time away from school and not being able to take the science classses I needed when I went back to school. Now I'm getting a degree in East Asian studies, and I have no idea what I'm going to do after that.

Anyway, like I said, I have nothing useful to say, but I just wanted to say I know what it's like to feel like you're not able to do the job that you'd love to do because of what qualifications you have. :hug:

Basstrap said:
true...very true

I made a step today and told dad that there are more things to consider than just how big the dollar sign is.

Fort Macmurray, Alberta would lead to me death through boredom

:lmao:

i have a friend living out there. i wonder if she's bored...hmmmmmmmm?

anyway...here's my 2 cents. it's YOUR life...do with it what ya want cause as far as i know, you only live once. unless reincarnation is true...but then again you might come back as a dung beetle.

DO IT......(peer pressure). :yes:

Re: me and my inability to be assertive

Basstrap said:
see...what consumes me is a love of all things musical - I just love this mysterious form of communication!!
I'm in a band and we are gonna make a honest effort at getting this off the ground. We know that the odds are stacked against us but where is the fun in just letting statistics rule your life? I don't want fame or vast mounds of gold..I just want to make a decent living off playing music. I think that is very acheiveable.
Go for it. :D I'll have a masters in history in about 5 months...(well, let's hope that happens!), but I really just know that my heart is in music (not as a performer, unlike you, but just involvement somehow). I don't know how it'll happen, but I've vowed to somehow at least try my hardest...I've tried looking into banking, accounting firms, etc (where a lot of people from my uni go after graduation), but I almost cry just looking at the websites...I know I'd be miserable, so I'm not going to do it. So, yeah...do what makes you happy. I mean, you can be practical about getting there, but looking at my parents and people that are a bit older....if you have a passion, at least try to incorporate it into your life as a constant...somehow. :)

I'm really glad to hear that you're moving to Toronto, Kirk. :) You are incredibly talented and intelligent, and I think a city like Toronto has more to offer you than anywhere in Alberta. Just think of all the concerts you'll be able to go to.... ;) I know it's hard feeling like your parents will be disappointed in you, but ultimately, you have to make your own decisions and I think it's better to take chances than to play it safe your entire life and live with regrets. My dad didn't want me to move to DC and for the first year I was here, he would constantly try to convince me that I could be making twice as much back in Kentucky where the cost of living is MUCH lower. As much as I want to leave DC now, I'm glad I moved here. If I had stayed in Kentucky, I wouldn't have met Jenn or Sam, I would never have seen U2, I wouldn't be obsessed with music, I wouldn't have as nice a resume ;), I would probably be a Republican :eek:....in short, I would be an ENTIRELY different person. Not that you should be like me, but you know what I mean! Good luck. :)

And thanks to everyone who replied to my post. :hug:

Meggy, don't let the loan thing stress you out too much. Yeah, it feels like alot, but if you decide you want to switch gears and do something else, they almost always can be deferred while you're in school (although I'm not sure about some of the aid you're getting through England). Money isn't everything - it's nice, but I think you'll be way happier doing something that you have a passion about rather than some humdrum job you only do for the money. You know if you have questions about vet school, I'm here :hug:

Hmm...I don't think I'm qualified to give advice on what to do with/out of school as I'm still struggling with that myself. All I can tell both of you, Meg and Kirk, is that I know exactly what you're going through. I think we're all about the same age, wondering where we're going exactly. We're struggling to find what we want to do with our lives and so afraid that we won't make it.

All I can do is wish you both the best of luck. I know that you'll both find happiness where ever it is that you end up.

Kirk - Toronto is a lovely city with so much opportunity. I lived in Hamilton last year so I know there are a lot fo good places for bands to get started...(even if the city is a little dirty) and accomdation/housing is really good in Hamilton (one of the best afordable housing places in Canada). And if you ever need a groupie to stand in the front row and scream and cheer her lungs out, give me a shout :wink:

Back
Top Bottom