MERGED --> Has anyone here dealt with Depression? + What are the symptoms of being...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
BluRmGrl said:

Every single one of those criteria were displayed by my father in the months before he died in August. He shot himself to death in our family home. I CAN NOT tell you how inconceivable it was that he would do such a thing. And that's not denial, it's a testament to just how far from who you really are clinical depression can take you.

I don't say any of this for sympathy - although the prayers and kind words I that have been said on my behalf by Interferencers have helped me more than I could express - I tell you this U2Girl1978 so that you don't give up on a proper diagnosis. Don't let doctors convince you that there's nothing wrong. You know what your natural, normal state of mind is & if you're experiencing anything different for extended periods of time, don't just seek help but SEEK HELP UNTIL YOU FIND IT.

I wish you success in diagnosis and treatment... keep us updated, OK? :hug: :hug:

:sad: BluRmGrl---my heart's out to you. :heart: I hope you guys are doing the best you can. :yes:

Wow, BluRmGrl, my heart goes out to you. I am glad that Interference love has helped in some small way.

And U2Girl1978 I keep meaning to ask how things are going?

:hug: to you both

BluRmGrl :hug:

I guess I've dealt with depression in my past for quite a few years, but now they vary from very large mood swings to small ones. The seasons don't make too much of an affect on my moods, only if I'm already at a certain low.

I don't really have any suggestions, but like everyone said, help is always good. Doctors attention is great too, cause they have the position to tell you if it is or isn't what you think it is.

hope the best for you U2Girl1978 :hug:

--

I'm just curious, but to those who have taken or are taking medication for depression, does it actually work? Has it changed your personality/ mindset/ attitude at all? Are there side affects that you experience(d)?

I was just wondering because I'm being told to get prescribed or something to meds but I'm really weary about it. I've been avoiding any means of contact with the involved adults because I'm so overwhelmed by the things it could do to me. :|

Any information would be great. I'd really appreciate it.. :)

My mom had cancer for a while when I was in 7th grade, so I went through a lot of depression during and after that. (She's okay now. :)) And recently, I've had on and off depression, but not as bad as it was when I was in 7th grade. I never took medication for it. I just kinda dealt with it. I think that my depression then is not even close to what you guys are feeling so I'm sort of at a loss of what to say.

I guess, from a religious perspective, I'd say just look to God because He knows you better than any doctor is ever going to. :wink:

Utoo :up: has some great information and covered everything that needs to be said really (good luck on boards!)
The internet is a dangerous tool when it comes to medicine - it is great to get some knowledge but some people think that reading a short article on a complicated disease process or drug makes them an expert. (rant over).

I'll just add this which I tell people all the time. If you were having chest pain/shortness of breath/dizziness/etc. that all pointed to a heart attack would you sit at home and not do anything b/c you were ashamed to go to the hospital? Ignoring depression is doing the same thing in essence. Trust me when I say that the MD you go to has heard far more embarrassing things than a bout of depression and they won't judge you are make you feel like it is your fault or did something wrong

the main take home point is to get help from a licensed medical professional :hug:

youtooellen said:

I'm just curious, but to those who have taken or are taking medication for depression, does it actually work? Has it changed your personality/ mindset/ attitude at all? Are there side affects that you experience(d)?

I was just wondering because I'm being told to get prescribed or something to meds but I'm really weary about it. I've been avoiding any means of contact with the involved adults because I'm so overwhelmed by the things it could do to me. :|

Any information would be great. I'd really appreciate it.. :)

I've been on Sertraline for a while now and had the dosage gradually increased over time. Initially, I felt no real differences, but the dosage i'm on now (150mg) has given me major improvements. I wouldn't say it's directly impacted me in an emotional sense, but i've found myself able to cope with day to day life alot better. Previously, I would on average only be making it into school two days a week. Over the past two months, i've been in four to five days a week (it was actually the first time in over two years that i've managed a full week at school, which is a big improvement for me). As I mentioned, alot of my emotional responses are still very disconnected, but the fact that i've been able to maintain more of a routine now has been of great benefit to me.
I do get bouts of nausea from the medication. When I first started on it, I was vomiting daily, but my body adapted to it over time. I still get bouts of nausea, but it's less intense now. Sometimes i'll have days where i'll vomit and feel better, and sometimes i'll have feelings of nausea throughout the day. However, it seems like such a small price to pay for the improvements that the medication has bought to me.
It's definitely something i'd recommend trying, but I can understand your reluctance. My psychologist pushed the issue of medication for a long time before I agreed to trying it. Try not to be too influenced by the horror stories out there about anti-depressents and those types of medication. Early on, it's better to have someone administer you your daily dosage, as opposed to being in control of it yourself. I don't know whether or not that's an option for you, but that way, if there is a noticeable decline in your mood, that person can stop giving you the pills (to avoid harm).
I hope this is of some help. I've only ever been on the one anti-depressant, so my knowledge is pretty limited, but if you have any other questions about it, feel free to ask.

Last edited:
^ that's perfect :yes:

but I do have a couple questions though, if you wouldn't mind answering, or anyone answering really..

did the antidepressants affect you at all in your physical form?
did it affect your sleeping pattern?
did it have any affect on your anger and managing it? (my therapist said that some do that but some don't?)

I'm really nervous about the idea of antidepressants cause as a kid I always saw commercials on tv about it and for some reason, I only paid attention to the side affects and the bad things in articles about it. but now that I'm told that I need to take antidepressants, I feel really worried and anxious over it. :huh:

thanks so much for all the information beau2ifulday :)

My knowledge isn't that in depth but I was put on anti-depressants and Xanax for a six month period after a large trauma from a severe attack. From what I understand the reason for the six month period was because they thought it would be long enough to balance out my brain chemistry because my stress and whatnot had altered it, resulting in the depression. (Hope that makes sense :huh: ) I did have to switch antid's because Paxil, what they originally tried to give me, had me gain wieght and I was having none of that. There are alot of different kinds of antid's though and everyone is different so I'm sure Paxil may be great for some, just not me in my case. As with any kind of medication, the doctor should monitor it to be sure it isn't negativly affecting a patient, there are potentials for side effects, just like any drug out there.

U2Girl and everyone else here :heart: I love my Interferencers.

Glad you've got an appt to see your doctor - I think sometimes it can be hard to know when these symptoms come on at this time of year, if it is a short term or a long term problem. I would always advise talking to your doctor before changing med doses or stopping altogether. Ultimately is it your choice whether you decide to follow that advice, but I think it would be rare for someone to tell you, "No you CAN'T do that".

I have been on antidepressants off and on for 9 years, because I have had several relapses I am now at a point where I probably will be on something forever - but my doctor was always willing to help me go off when I wanted to try. I think it does help to let someone close to you know what is going on so they can be on the lookout for changes in you. Sometimes when you're in the midst of it you don't realize it's happening, that has been a problem for me at times. If you have any questions feel free to PM or email me any time :hug:

To answer youtooellen's questions - there are many different medications available, what works for someone with no side effects, may have no effect or undesirable effects in another person. Most doctors choose a medication based on your symptoms and have you try it for a few weeks - almost all of them take time to build up in your system to a steady state. If side effects become an issue shortly after starting then you can usually be changed to another one very quickly. Sometimes you get lucky on the first guess, other people have to go through several medication trials before you find the right one. I have been on both Prozac and (more recently) Wellbutrin, neither had any noticeable side effects. My big stimulus for going on meds was because I was hardly sleeping - in the beginning I needed an additional medication to help me sleep, but only for about 2 weeks while the antidepressant was kicking in.

I honestly don't feel anything when I take my medication, doesn't make me drowsy or jittery, I don't feel anything if I miss a dose either. I know a lot of people worry about feeling 'drugged', but that is not usually a problem. I haven't told anyone at my work that I take anything (not that I'm ashamed about it) and I think most of them would be surprised if they found out.

Chrissi gives a great point - this is similar to any other *medical* condition that needs medication such as diabetes, high blood pressure etc - no shame in treating those things and there really shouldn't be any shame in getting help for depression.

Last edited:
bonosloveslave said:

Chrissi gives a great point - this is similar to any other *medical* condition that needs medication such as diabetes, high blood pressure etc - no shame in treating those things and there really shouldn't be any shame in getting help for depression.

Agreed, depression is a physical problem where not enough serotonin is getting to your brain, and most antidepressants allow this to happen. Strolling through a field of flowers to try to "work it out yourself" will not cure the physical problem that exists.

So taking medication for depression is not really different than taking medication for any other physical problem, thus should not be looked down upon anymore than other meds.

Thanks again for all the kind words - you guys are the greatest. :hug:

One other point I could add, U2Girl1978, in relation to meds: you'll want to make sure you closely monitor that once you've been on a med for a while that you don't develop any unpleasant side effects. For example, (I can't recall which med this was - my Dad tried so many looking for what would work for him :huh: ) one Rx worked wonders for my dad... until he apparently built up too much of it in his system - then it caused him to become completely polar opposite of what his normal self was. Combative, paranoid, easily angered, and to be quite frank, an asshole. :silent: One episode that occurred while my parents had traveled out of state to visit some of my mother's relatives was so bad, my mother was fearful for her safety around Daddy & the only reason she rode back to NC from FL with him is that her older brother had gone with them and was also in the car. :ohmy:

My mom's told me that was the only time in 34 years of marriage (at that time - they celebrated 36 yrs together 2 wks before he died), but she said that was the only time EVER in 34 years that she'd actually been afraid to be alone with my Dad.

Long story, short - finding the right med isn't the end of your road. You need to continue to be vigilant about its affects on you.

Last edited:
U2Girl1978 said:
So I checked out this website and I found this.

What is SAD?

The symptoms of SAD usually recur regularly each Winter, starting between September and November and continuing until March or April. A diagnosis can be made after three or more consecutive Winters of symptoms, which include a number of the following

Sleep problems: Usually desire to oversleep and difficulty staying awake but, in some cases, disturbed sleep and early morning wakening
Lethargy: Feeling of fatigue and inability to carry out normal routine
Overeating: Craving for carbohydrates and sweet foods, usually resulting in weight gain
Depression: Feelings of misery, guilt and loss of self-esteem, sometimes hopelessness and despair, sometimes apathy and loss of feelings
Social problems: Irritability and desire to avoid social contact
Anxiety: Tension and inability to tolerate stress
Loss of libido Decreased interest in sex and physical contact
Mood changes In some sufferers, extremes of mood and short periods of hypomania (overactivity) in spring and autumn.

Thanks for the info!

:ohmy: I feel 7 of the 8. But some of them aren't constant, like 'depression'. I sometimes have those feelings, but not usually. I guess that accounts for the 'mood swings'. :|

But it's hard to tell... I can't really tell what's stupid teenage hormones and what's not.

blindinglights7 said:

But it's hard to tell... I can't really tell what's stupid teenage hormones and what's not.

I feel the same way. I have all of those SAD symptoms mentioned. Sometimes not much, sometimes so much I will call in sick to work, not go to class, and sit in bed all day. I've never known if it's just mild SAD, or the usual young adult/college student stress.

anitram said:
Have you looked into 5-HTP and melatonin as potential natural treatments for SAD? I know quite a few people, myself included, who have been helped immensely by one or both of those.

5-HTP rocks. :up:

^ anitram, how do they work?

U2Girl1978 said:
Question: To the people who have taken meds or are on meds at the moment, how do you feel now? Do you feel better, happier than before? Or do you feel the same?
I'm not on antidepressants anymore, but no, most folks don't per se feel "happier" on them. It's more that they take the edge off the numbing sense of alienation and disaffectation, feelings of profound hopelessness, and severe inability to focus that characterize clinical depression. Depending on the drug, this may mean you'll feel more upbeat and stimulated, or it may mean that you'll feel disconcertingly sedated, but nonetheless more functional. And as several other posters have noted, no two people react quite the same to any drug that affects your brain chemistry--sometimes they even have the exact opposite effect from what was intended, and unfortunately it's never possible for a psychiatrist to fully anticipate that consequence, though the methods for evaluating the likely type of neurochemical problem a particular depressed patient has ( and hence, the choice of drug) are getting better all the time.

Same goes for the non-allopathic treatments. I remember trying kava kava once for anxiety back when it was all the rage, and far from calming me down, it had me bouncing off the walls in short order. With the light board I use now, too, I find that if I overdo the exposure, I feel overly stimulated and unable to concentrate for the opposite reason--too jittery! So, it's really very much a question of staying closely attuned to your system and staying in touch with your doctor about how well it's working out for you.

Re: Has anyone here dealt with Depression?

U2Girl1978 said:
If so, how did you know and how did you deal with it? I feel like I might be going through it but I'm not positive. I'm not sure if it's Seasonal Affective Disorder or what but for the past couple of months my moods have been up and down. I've experienced this Seasonal Affective Disorder every year for the past couple of years though. I'm kind of confused if it is what I'm experiencing. Anyways, any advice would be appreciated.

There has been a lot of great advice so far, but I'll let you know my story.

I've had SAD for about 5 years now. I am currently not on medication, but I use a full spectrum light board, which has helped so much.

My family noticed that I would be very depressed, lethargic, tired, etc. during the winter months, and very happy and upbeat in the spring and summer. They very kindly suggested I go talk to someone about this. They approached me wonderfully, and I took their advice.

I've been seeing a therapist, which has helped me deal with the issues from my past that fit more under the depression headline, but my diagnosis was SAD. The sessions with her, as well as sitting under the light every morning in the winter months, has been so helpful.

If there's anything else that I can do to help out, please let me know. It's good to know you're not alone, isn't it?

Take care.

yolland said:
^ anitram, how do they work?

I'm not on antidepressants anymore, but no, most folks don't per se feel "happier" on them. It's more that they take the edge off the numbing sense of alienation and disaffectation, feelings of profound hopelessness, and severe inability to focus that characterize clinical depression. Depending on the drug, this may mean you'll feel more upbeat and stimulated, or it may mean that you'll feel disconcertingly sedated, but nonetheless more functional. And as several other posters have noted, no two people react quite the same to any drug that affects your brain chemistry--sometimes they even have the exact opposite effect from what was intended, and unfortunately it's never possible for a psychiatrist to fully anticipate that consequence, though the methods for evaluating the likely type of neurochemical problem a particular depressed patient has ( and hence, the choice of drug) are getting better all the time.

Same goes for the non-allopathic treatments. I remember trying kava kava once for anxiety back when it was all the rage, and far from calming me down, it had me bouncing off the walls in short order. With the light board I use now, too, I find that if I overdo the exposure, I feel overly stimulated and unable to concentrate for the opposite reason--too jittery! So, it's really very much a question of staying closely attuned to your system and staying in touch with your doctor about how well it's working out for you.

Good information. :up:

For me having bloodwork done and analyzed by a clinical nutritionist (not just a Primary Care Physician) has been so invaluable. A lot of times depression (as well as things like anxiety and insomnia) comes from nutritional deficiencies/imbalances. I know someone who was saved from a deep depression with folic acid supplements. It's expensive and not everyone has insurance but if it's a financial option, it could be very beneficial.

U2Girl1978 said:
Question: To the people who have taken meds or are on meds at the moment, how do you feel now? Do you feel better, happier than before? Or do you feel the same?

I have been on medication for 20 years now and probably will be for the rest of my life. I have a very good doctor that I see once a month. I have my good and bad days. In the winter my depression is worse, but everyone is different. I am glad that you are going to see a doctor. My best goes to you. :hug:

And an extra :hug: :hug: for BluRmGrl.

Sorry yolland I forgot about this thread. Ooops!

Your body takes the amino acid Tryptophan (in this case the L form of it) and converts it to 5-hydroxy tryptophan (5-HTP) using the enzyme tryptophan hydroxylase. From that point on, 5-HTP will get converted to serotonin in the brain. As you probably know, serotonin levels have been long implicated in depression, and many studies have been done regarding serotonin deficiency.

In order to make up for low levels of serotonin in individuals suffering from depression, you could compensate for it. However, taking serotonin in powder or pill form would be useless, because it cannot cross the blood/brain barrier, so you would essentially excrete all of the intake. 5-HTP however can cross the blood/brain barrier as its structure is slightly different, and that's why it's used instead of serotonin. Once it's in the brain, your body can naturally convert it to serotonin.

There is some question about whether you need to take vitamin B6 in conjunction with 5-HTP because the carboxylase which converts 5-HTP into serotonin is B6 dependent. To be honest, I am not really sure. Some people say that the increased level of B6 in the bloodstream will lead to the premature conversion into serotonin and then it's useless as it can't enter into the brain. Others say that it should be ingested several hours prior to give the best absorption intake. It's something I've been meaning to look into and just never had the time.

joyfulgirl said:
For me having bloodwork done and analyzed by a clinical nutritionist (not just a Primary Care Physician) has been so invaluable. A lot of times depression (as well as things like anxiety and insomnia) comes from nutritional deficiencies/imbalances. I know someone who was saved from a deep depression with folic acid supplements. It's expensive and not everyone has insurance but if it's a financial option, it could be very beneficial.

I was told about nutritional imbalances from my therapist actually. She said something like having routine exercises will also help the depression and in some cases improve your mental health too.
I'm wondering if blood pressure/certain deficiencies also affect depression? Cause my doctor has told me that I'm anaemic. I originally have a bunch of health problems too, but I'm wondering do the health problems one has also affect depression in general?

Like U2Girl1978 said, thanks for the all information everyone.
(I personally really appreciate it because now I'm thinking that I shouldn't fear the idea of antidepressants anymore. I'm kind of embarrassed really to talk about it with friends, family, and adults, but I'm coming to my sense now thanks to everyone here :hug:. :up: )

:yes: My mother and grandmother suffered from it, and living with only my mother has a huge impact on me. When I was 13/14 I was put on Effexor for six or seven months, I can't exactly remember (I'm 18 now).

What it did was definitely NOT make me happier. What I thought felt at the time and what I understand I felt at the time now are two different things. The Effexor made me vastly more irritable, and really more prone to outbursts of anger. Beforehand I had been extraordinarily quiet, reserved, and generally not prone to thinking about anybody in a bad way. According to my psychiatrist I had been internalizing a lot of my anger and directing it towards myself, which made me hate myself and withdraw from society and fear social contact. I hated the Effexor because it made me such an irritable person, and eventually I went off it and onto Celexa and Wellbutrin, neither of which I stayed on for more than a few weeks. Eventually I gave it up altogether.

But I guess the Effexor changed me as a person and gave me an outlet to express myself in a way I hadn't ever before. Ironically I made a lot of friends through being angry and vindictive and once I got over myself and how much I hated everything, I realized I didn't really hate anything at all. :) So I guess you could say that in a way the medication helped me. It was a really miserable time for me, the medication screwed me up a lot in the head, and I'm not sure how I would have turned out if I hadn't taken it.

I show all the signs of SAD every winter so I assume it's just a thing with me and I deal with it because I still love winter no matter how withdrawn I get. I really feel the social effects, in that I don't want to see anybody and would rather hole up in my room or go out for walks with my music, basically do solitary activities.

My mother is less fortunate than I am and is on antidepressants and can't hold a regular sleep schedule, but I hope that once I move out I'll be able to leave some of my pain behind and be able to get out of the depressing house. I know that sounds cold, but I really am sick of her bringing me down all the time with her attitude while I try to stay cheery.

Anyway, what I mean to say is that the medication gave me more of a wake-up call and realization of who I am than a mood boost. It also made me sweat a lot. :lol:

Looking forward to spring in a couple months, hope you feel better and good luck :hug:

And sorry I went off on such a personal tangent! :reject:

I am so happy for this thread. I'm not embarrassed to admit I've been taking Effexor for several years, but I don't tell just anyone. What I really notice is it keeps me on an even keel, helps me sleep better, altho if I forget to take it I get dizzy and headaches are horrible. Now I am on a B/P med which I will be on for the rest of my life and I feel really tired all the time. My doctor says to give the 2 meds time to work together. I can't imagine not being on the medication. When I tried to wean off of it once I was a bear for about 2 weeks. It was horrible. Therapy on and off helps me, and basically just making sure there is plenty of Balance in my life which is so important in all areas. I have some mental illness in the family, so it concerns me and I don't want to follow in the footsteps of 2 generations who chose to end their lives.

:hug: to BluRmGirl, you seem to be doing very well dealing with your Dad's passing.

:hug: Anitram for all the wonderful medical advice you share

:hug: Tiny Dancer.....your PM's are great and I've enjoyed our friendship!

:hug:Joyfulgirl Congrats for paying off the car! :up:

And a great big :hug: to everyone else, thanks for sharing, caring and understanding.

Chizip said:

Agreed, depression is a physical problem where not enough serotonin is getting to your brain, and most antidepressants allow this to happen. Strolling through a field of flowers to try to "work it out yourself" will not cure the physical problem that exists.

So taking medication for depression is not really different than taking medication for any other physical problem, thus should not be looked down upon anymore than other meds.

Exactly, I'm glad you mentioned this. I was diagnosed with clinical depression my sophomore year of high school (although I'm pretty sure I had been suffering from mild depression for at least a few years prior to that), and I had a lot of trouble dealing with those feelings of hopelessness and despair before I sought help and a diagnosis. It got to the point where I could barely function normally at all during the school day, and in the evenings I would just go down to the basement and turn the lights off and cry for hours. I didn't know what was going on with me and neither did my parents, and it was very frustrating for all involved. Finally I decided that I needed to get help. It wasn't easy for me to admit that, I can tell you, and it certainly didn't help when I told my dad and he pretty much laughed in my face and told me to "get a life." Luckily, my mom was supportive and helped me find a psychologist, who helped me sort through things a little and referred me to a psychiatrist who was able to diagnose my problem as a chemical one. Four years later, I am still on Zoloft, still experimenting and trying to figure out how to best adjust my dosage to compensate for the seasons, but I am feeling mostly better. There are still periods I go through where things seem hopeless and dark no matter what dose I'm taking, but I don't feel like that all the time anymore and for that I am grateful.

*takes deep breath* I just realized that I pretty much poured out my life story there without offering much help or advice...sorry about that. *blushes* But I will be thinking about you U2Girl78, BluRmGrl, and anyone else who has been affected by depression, either directly or indirectly. :hug: I'm pretty new here still but already I can tell that you are a bunch of really wonderful people, and I hope things work out for the best for you all. Peace! :)

^Well thank you for stepping up and sharing. I think it is pretty cool how most of us have come in here with the caring and understanding those affected with or by clinical depression need. I have learned not to feel embarrassed about it or to feel that I can't talk about it On the contrary, it helps me anyway, immensley to talk about it and also to hear what others are experiencing. Everyone is different and no two body chemistries are alike, therefore we undergo an awful lot of adjustments and trying different medications, different physicians or psychologists until we find the balance that we need.

Doesn't matter whether you are new here, a mod or a long standing member.....we all share one common factor and that's pretty cool. I am definitely going to check back in here regularly and I will invite anyone who feels they want to "chat" on a more personal level to PM or email me. We all have good and bad days...and I know full well what a difference it can make just to have someone to talk to who's "been there" and understands!

:hug: to all!

Back
Top Bottom