MERGED --> Are you afraid of Death? + 3 years have gone by

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Re: Are you afraid of Death?

Justin24 said:
Are you? Or are you afraid of the way your going to die? Are you afraid if there is an after life or not?

With my friend's 3rd year anniversary coming up after dying in a Car accident back in 2004, since that day. I have always been wondering how I will die? What will happen to my soul?

:sad: I wonder myself Justin..........i too lost my friend on boxing day just gone in a dreadful car accident, it was a horrible way for her to go...............i read once:

"You cannot control how or when you are going to die........you can only control how you are going to live"

Saying this out load helps me personally overcome the scary feeling I get in the pit of my stomach everytime i think of what and how and why it happened.

"Are you? Or are you afraid of the way your going to die? Are you afraid if there is an after life or not?"

I'm not afraid of death. I'm not afraid of how either. I dont think there is an afterlife.

When its time its time and there is nothing that can be done to prepare for it or to change the hows and whens. A good example is a young lad in the news in the UK right now who had a heart attack and died (aged 2 or less). The Docs tried to revive him without success. He was passed to his parents for a goodbye cuddle and then 30 mins, yes 30 mins, later he coughed and literally came back to life.

I think we have our time and thats it. It makes life seem pointless sometimes but whilst it maybe, as nothing actually matters with that being the case, we still have enjoyable times and we need to just take it as it comes.

elevated_u2_fan said:

Wow, replace Spiders with Snakes and that's pretty much mine as well... Except #3... What's up with the water? :wink:

Like, swimming in large bodies of water or drinking a glass of water? :eyebrow:

I should have said "deep water". :wink: I can't swim worth a damn.

I like snakes. :cute: I wouldn't get near a wild one, but most of them are OK. :shrug: This one time I was at the zoo in Memphis, TN, and this giant, blue...venomous-looking snake got within 3 feet of me. :crack: It didn't look too happy either. :yikes: (no, it wasn't in a cage...I think it got loose)

It is reassuring to see that we have all pretty much echoed the same sentiments, more or less, on the subject. It's comforting to know that in life we can be united about the transition to death.

I don't think about death that often and, thankfully thus far, I haven't had too much experience with it. However, when I do think about it, I mostly worry about my loved ones passing away, not myself.

Justin--that article was heart-wrenching. I'm not a big crier, but my eyes welled up with tears. People at work are going to start asking me what's wrong.

I'm very sorry for your loss. I can't even imagine losing my best friend at such a young age. My sincerest condolences, especially at this hard time of the year for you.

I'm not afraid of dying. I do believe in God and an afterlife which is a big comfort. I've always had a morbid facination with death. Its the big unknown - what is out there - is there a heaven or hell or just a big nothing. Knowing that you will find out a lot of these answers when you die just heightens my curiousity.

That said, I am in no rush to die :) As with most people, I'd rather avoid something that is drawn out and painful to both me and my friends/family.

Interesting question about what happens after we die....:hmm: According to Islam, we are judged after death for our actions and then going to heaven or hell based on what we did during our lifetime. And damnation is hell going to last forever. That terrifies me. Other friends of mine believe that death is the end of existence (well, duh!!) and nothing happens after it. It's over. You're buried/cremated/whatever and it's all done.

It's hard not to be afraid of dying. My fear is how I'm going to die. You constantly hear all sorts of horrible things happening to people ex: being stabbed, burned, head trauma, et et. That scares me.

I would also feel sad for my family members and how hard it will be for them. The last thing I want is for my loved ones to suffer. :(

However, death is a subject that most families/people don't discuss but should because it's part of life. We cannot avoid it. It's going to happen. I recently did an assignment for school where I planned my own funeral. I found it to be scary but also very comforting to know I'm having a say on how I want things to happen. Most people are afraid to discuss with loved ones what they want when they die or they don't prepare for it. So when it happens it's even much more difficult.

With that said I'm more comfortable with the concept of death. Death to me it's just part of life. I used to be afraid of flying because I thought the plane was going to crash and I would die. Now, my approach on death is whatever happens was meant to happen. I have a strong believe in god and when it's time for me to go it will happen no matter where I'm at, be it on a plane or here in my office typing this! I feel I cannot escape death if it's my time to go. I do believe in an afterlife and I don't think we just die and that's the end of that. More awaits us when we have left our physical life.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom