Like a good neighbor...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

zuropa_fit

Blue Crack Addict
I live in a small, fairly quiet neighborhood. Last night over dinner, MrZ said that the teenager in the house next door (with her dad standing next to her looking worried) asked him if it'd be okay if she had a big party on Halloween with a DJ and everything. I thought that was really nice of her to ask. Then I realized that my first triathlon is the next day and I have to get up at 4 in the morning. Should I tell her and her dad that it'd be okay with us as long as the music/party was brought inside by 11? I mean, they didn't have to ask. But they did. What do you think I should do? I don't want to be the ogre next door but this is a pretty big race and I need my rest.

Usually there are noise ordinances anyway that cover that so that you can't make that kind of noise after a certain time of night. I don't see anything wrong with asking-since they were courteous enough to tell/ask you. Most people have those kinds of parties without even asking, well in my neighborhood they do. I don't think it makes you an "ogre" at all.

As MrsSpringsteen said, there is probably a local noise ordinance. It was cool of your neighbors to ask if you'd be all right with it and give you a heads up. If you are afraid of looking like the neighborhood grump, I would make them aware of the fact that you do have to be up early the next morning. That lets them know that you have a valid reason for needing to get some rest and aren't just being a crab about them having a party.

I would suggest having earplugs available, just in case...but then you risk sleeping through your alarm (been there :der: :lol:). If there is someone else in the house who could wake you up though...:up:

I'd suggest getting a room near the venue site which would save you time and travel first thing in the morning...

please don't answer, "Why should I have to pay for a room....." its just a suggestion and it would assure you the peace and quiet you need for your first event.

I'd go back to the neighbor. It was nice of them to approach you. Assuming there will be adults present during the party things *should* be kept to a dull roar until an agreed upon time. A good neighbor would respect your request and I would also think would also support your goal participating in a triathlon. Good luck with this and with the triathlon! :up:

I'd suggest getting a room near the venue site which would save you time and travel first thing in the morning...

please don't answer, "Why should I have to pay for a room....." its just a suggestion and it would assure you the peace and quiet you need for your first event.

I've actually thought about that too. More so that I don't have to drive the hour to the race in the morning. I might still.. we'll see.

And that's for the :up: Carek!

I think this is the best suggestion! :up:

I wish you the best of luck. I don't recall the last teenage party I was at that had it's music turned down or brought inside by 11pm. Or do we not have those laws here?

Plenty of rest, a good nights sleep, its just the way I approached the many 10K's I ran back "in the day"...while I never took part in a triathlon (swimming is not my strong suit), my best 10K was 42:10 ... I miss the running due to a bad left knee...

I wish you good luck in your attempt and please let us know how you did! :up:

I think I'll party like a friggin' rock star the night AFTER the race!!! Besides, with my luck, if I decided to go to the party, some of my own students would show up... awkward!

Maybe you could get a real good discount on the DJ who is playing at your neighbor's party, and invite your students. You'll be a smash hit AND favorite teacher at your school! :up:

Back
Top Bottom