last minute wedding invite.....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

arw

Blue Crack Addict
My friends sister is getting married in a few weeks. I really like her sister and we've always gotten along great. She didn't invite me or another friend to the wedding (we dont' know each other that well so I didn't expect to be invited). My friend is living with her boyfriend and they want to call it quits but have not due to financial reasons. He doesn't want to go to the wedding so my friend asked if I would be her "date." I said no because I'd feel awkward if I didn't know anyone plus it's about an hour away and I didn't want to drive home that late at night myself. I thought that was enough for her but she really wants me to go. The other day she told me her sister said that one of our other friends could come too. He knows the bride just as well as I do, which isn't that much.

What do we do about a gift? This is a good friend deed. I'm only going because my friend is upset that her boyfriend won't go and she really wants me to be there. Our other friend is only going because I didn't want to go alone. I'd feel really tacky not giving a gift so I feel I need to bring something. My friend that's going with me to the wedding will contribute to the gift but what do we give them? It's also a second wedding for both the bride and groom so I know they don't need a lot.

#1 - Sounds like a Seinfeld episode but in the end, a nice card with your sincerest best wishes would suffice...that's what the nice Mr. BAW would do....

#2- What the evil Mr. BAW thought was that your friend should tell her lazy loaf boyfriend that if he goes to the wedding, the three of you will have a "threesome"....once he's dressed and ready to go, you call in sick and he's stuck with the girl and off they go...Yes?? No??

Stick with #1 :lol:

Since Seinfeld has already been mentioned....

Re-gifting :hmm:

With a lovely card :yes:

OR

Make a donatioin to one of theirs or your favourite charities in honour of their wedding

With a lovely card :yes:

<sorry I had to edit this twice>

Last edited:
I don't know how well this applies, but I'm getting married next week, and I definately will NOT notice if someone doesn't give a gift. I wouldn't sweat it, especially if you weren't specifically invited in the first place.

It's not like I hate the bride so I don't think getting a useless gift or regifting is neccessary in this case!

:hmm: I'll have to think about this one some more......

Since SHE asked you to go with her and you DIDN'T wanted to go, SHE should buy the gift for both of you. Split it 50/50 maybe.

Oh by the way....:

Mr. BAW said:
#1 - Sounds like a Seinfeld episode but in the end, a nice card with your sincerest best wishes would suffice...that's what the nice Mr. BAW would do....

#2- What the evil Mr. BAW thought was that your friend should tell her lazy loaf boyfriend that if he goes to the wedding, the three of you will have a "threesome"....once he's dressed and ready to go, you call in sick and he's stuck with the girl and off they go...Yes?? No??

Stick with #1 :lol:

:lmao:

My bf is a singer and one time I had to go to this wedding he was in and I knew not a single person but him. It was the most awkward thing ever, especially since he has SUCH a good voice and everyone was weeping during his songs, including the groom. Afterward when you all line up to greet the families and everyone was hugging, I just sort of said hi and shook people's hands b/c I'd never even met the bride or groom! So yeah, that doesn't really have anything to do with gifts, but rest assured knowing it could be a LOT more awkward and weird!

A memory box engraved with the couple's name. A friend of mine got one a few years ago as an engagement gift and she loved it. Not only is it something that they can use for years to come, but they come in different sizes so you should be able to find one in your price range. Try Bombay Company if they have that where you are from.

:eyebrow:

what is it with being invited to a wedding that I'm not invited too? :|

My friends boyfriend has a friend that is getting married. It's someone I've known for a long time but I don't know him or the bride well enough to be invited to their wedding. I was just invited to the "after dinner" reception by email :|

:sigh: too bad I'll be at a U2 convention in Ontario, CA that weekend so I won't be able to attend...:rolleyes: I wouldn't have gone anyways.

That's 2 weekends in a row that I'm invited to a wedding for people I don't really even know. :|

spinninghead77 said:
A memory box engraved with the couple's name. A friend of mine got one a few years ago as an engagement gift and she loved it. Not only is it something that they can use for years to come, but they come in different sizes so you should be able to find one in your price range. Try Bombay Company if they have that where you are from.

That's a good idea for someone that I'd spend money on. I was thinking $10.00 tops (each) for me and my friend I'm going with.

I'm thinking a card is about all I'm giving. I'm not in a generous mood to spend money on someone I don't know.

Back
Top Bottom