kobe confession #4

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kobayashi

Rock n' Roll Doggie VIP PASS
so i am doing this presentation yesterday evening about open vs. closed networks in broadband internet access in the states. we have a group of four and for each of us, we have assigned part of the topic. person A does arguments for open, person B does arguments for closed, person C covers recent court decisions, and person D(which was me) covers the various competing technologies within broadband(cable, dsl, etc...) and the regulatory bodies(FCC, FTC, PUC, etc...)

well to make a long story short the guy that was supposed to do closed networks told us all he had found a great article and had a great talk planned about the benefits of a closed, monopolistic system. what does he do?

gets up there and starts going into highly technical detail about dsl and cable networks(explaining how many megahertz each local line is...)he essentially put the class to sleep. as he did his presentation i just stood there crossing things off that he had already covered.

i wanted to pick my laptop and throw it at him.

so my confession is, for a moment, i thought about throwing my new laptop. i'm sorry laptop.

Originally posted by The_Sweetest_Thing:
Poor poor abused laptop..

Kobesan, what did you do?

i didn't say anything during the presentation. one of the girls in my group kind of told him to shut up at the very end of his part, so for the first minute of my presentation i was laughing.
but i kept my cool when i was up there(there were 80 people wathcing us) and approached the prof after and showed him my notes and my script for the speech, and the 8 overheads that i couldn't show(the bastard showed statistics from a GAO report in August 2000, I had statistics from an FCC report in August 2001) because our group would have looked like fools if we had contradicted ourselves.
the prof understood, said he saw the rest of us laughing and figured scott was overstepping his boundaries. so my mark shouldn't be all bad.

Originally posted by kobayashi:
i didn't say anything during the presentation. one of the girls in my group kind of told him to shut up at the very end of his part, so for the first minute of my presentation i was laughing.
but i kept my cool when i was up there(there were 80 people wathcing us) and approached the prof after and showed him my notes and my script for the speech

Well, I feel I need to share with you a story about the last group presentation I made. I was in 10th grade and we had these things called "decades presentations" where groups of 5 in the class would present about a decade. It was for both my english class and history class, so if i did bad, my grades were screwed for the rest of the year. My group had the 80s. My job was to talk politics (hmmm....imagine that). My friend who went before me spoke of fashion. She talked about the "off the shoulder sweater look" which she went on to call "slutty". Amusing as that was, we noticed immediately afterward that our rather elderly teacher was wearing her sweater off the shoulder. All out laughter took up 4 of our 7 minutes...it was worth it though. So there, I hope that my shame and bad grades put a smile on your face.
biggrin.gif

------------------
Proud owner, maker and baker of THE U2 cookies.

[This message has been edited by Lilly (edited 03-07-2002).]

Back
Top Bottom