Just curious....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

girlhappy

War Child
i am just curious... what would you say to someone who thinks life hasno meaning? Its like in Surrender " find out why i am living for:wink:
People who lost their its hard to comfort. What are your meaning of life? Including the small things....

The meaning of life is

to enjoy the physical form, the miracle of your body and the way you were created

to live your life full of passion every single moment

to bow towards nature, plants and animals, to surrender to love and be thankful and humble for comfort

to live
to laugh
to learn
and to share

to be one

to be now

Someone who thinks life has no meaning probably is looking for something else besides "a reason to live", so I don't know if answering the questin directly is really what needs to be done to rectify the situation.

For "starters", though............

Discover yourself, who you are, and find out your place in this world. Not only are we all different, we MUST all be different; you can say that's god's plan, or you can say it's genetic variation, whatever. THe point is, our unity comes from our inherent differences, which further still is just a representation of our inherent similarity; we are all human. NEvertheless, I think it is important, maybe even neccesary, for every person to discover themselves and find out how him or herself fits into this great big world.

Perhaps, too, a commitment to understanding the world around you is helpful/neccesary to truly give life "meaning".... but that is more a "personal opinion" that I have for myself, and it may not be neccesary for others.

Maybe your..... friend..... is thinking too much. (which I have done plenty of in my days. Sometimes not enough, but sometimes too much)
In addition to what hiphop has said, and what others will say... someone who honestly thinks life is meaningless is focusing too much on themselves. There is always a lot to be thankful for, even if it is only the oppertunity to make your life, and/or the lives of others better.

"It's a beautiful day.
Don't let it slip away..."

Last edited:
If anyone really wants to give their life meaning, go to their local slums. View the lives of those that have very little, and you will instantly understand how precious what you've got is, because you will know, damn well, that this could just as well be you. Think about the people in Africa, the people in Asia, the people in Austrailia, Europe, S and North America - all of these people all over the world who would gladly trade their lifes for your own.

Now, I don't know who this "someone" is, perhaps they are someone who knows all to well of those troubles. There is always someone worse off, and someone better off, though.....
If they are in one of those positions, the should know that part of the meaning of life is having the ability make your (or others' lives) life what you want of it, regardless of what the world has given you. If nothing less, the person who views life as meaningless, I would advise, should investigate this ability.

Because i dont feel too enthusiastic as well i a am asking for suggestions. But there is something Ali says that always reminds me: T"he whole point of your life, I think, is to give some chance to even one person. I don't want to end my life feeling I've only looked after myself, that everything I did was to protect myself. I want when I die to believe that I've achieved what I was supposed to achieve - that is, to help other people in whatever way I could." Ali Hewson

I don't know why we are alive...I think that is why many people wonder about what meaning life has, because there doesn't seem to be much point in being 'alive' as such...even if you believe in God, why did God create us? What was the point etc

That if you think about it is quite depressing....but really the proof is in the pudding...life will be meaningless if you do nothing with it, every life has value, but you are not going to get a fulfilling feeling from just going about everyday existence...I am not saying that you have to climb everest or whatever to give live meaning, but to lead your life in a way that you have a positive effect on the people around you the ones you care about....or even simply caring for your pet dog...all those tiny things really are what I think give life meaning or at the very least a reason to live......

I always think about why I am still living and question what do I have to live for. In fact, earlier this week there was a moment where I felt like I had enough of living, like I just don't want to live anymore. There are times that I feel like I wish I weren't alive and that I wished that I had cancer so that I could die. I feel like I have nothing to life for. I will never be in a relationship, never have children. I am utterly afraid of being alone. But I realize that I have two choices: either I continue to mope and be pessimistic; or be bold and try new things, which could lead to making new friends. I realize that I must do the latter. I need to change my life. I have lived in the same house for 28 years, living with my mother, working two jobs, even though I have a college degree. I have to realize that life is about goals and achieving goals. I have to set out some goals and try to achieve them, and that will make me happy. Otherwise, I will continue to feel like I am a loser and continue to feel like people think I am a loser.

it's a good question...people claim to have so much faith in the afterlife, yet sob at funerals about how the person was "too young." if what comes after is so great, then why don't we all commit mass suicide? although I guess that's a different story

while it's true that there's always someone worse off, i don't know if that even relates to this question...the richest people in the world have the same thoughts i'm sure. in fact its kind of the opposite. you get to thinking about how all the material possessions in the world don't mean a damn thing, can't take it with you right? :wink:

i dunno, for me right now, the most important thing is sort of an intense desire to do something worthwhile, to lead a fulfilling life like LJT was talking about.

but i see older adults, people my parents age in their 40s...and they live pretty comfortably, have nice families, go to boring jobs everyday so they can buy their kids ipods or whatever. and despite the pretty high standard of living around here, under the surface i sense so much depression and apathy.

so in conclusion, i have no clue what the meaning of life is. i guess just to try and enjoy it, although that's really cliched to say. i suppose if you're really in a crisis with the thought to the point where you honestly have no reason to live, you should find some kind of project, charity or a hobby or whatever that's fulfilling to you

I think, too, that....... if you actually, whole heartedly, and - regardless of how earnestly- seek to define life, then it becomes easier to overlook the essence of life.

But, like many things, maybe you need to do that. Maybe you need to overlook it, and make mistakes........

It is interesting that nobody says anything about love:)
You know , when you are down, people often says,..just find someone to fall in love with...and things like that...
I didnt tell her that advice...:huh:

Don't waste your time asking yourself what's the meaning of life.
LIVE NOW!!!!

You know, I sometimes thinks that wondering what the meaning of life is is a sort of refuge from the hardness of life...your friend really need to wake up!
Help him to gain again his life up and he will be thankful towards you for the rest of his life!!!
"a friend in need is a friend indeed..."

Ciao,
Tom
p.s.:and, if you're both believers, why don't you pray togheter???:)

For Honor said:

Discover yourself, who you are, and find out your place in this world. Not only are we all different, we MUST all be different; you can say that's god's plan, or you can say it's genetic variation, whatever. THe

Some people are lovers, some are not......

I realize that I most likely am, but at this point in my life, I cannot base myself around love, because if I did, then I would need the highest form of commitment from myself and the lady on the other end.

Maybe later, but, for myself, that's not going to happen any time soon.

SO I can't think about love, or I'll spend my time wasting my energy on something that is currently out of reach. When I was most depressed ( not like, officially, but just relatively), I chose to think about love, and why I didn't have it, and it was a tough cycle to break - I was depressed about love, and love was depressing for me.

It wasn't working for me, though, so I dropped it.... though I'm sure I'll pick it up again later on.

This is why I did not mention love.

My current top 2 favorite songs, though, are Pride (In the Name of Love), and Night and Day.

:shrug:

I believe a great part of life is learning how to shift your priorities so that you can get the most out of what the present moment offers you.............

Back
Top Bottom