jobs jobs jobs...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Got Philk?

Rock n' Roll Doggie ALL ACCESS
Arizona, Tacoma, Philadelphia ,Atlanta, LA...
I hate to post this because it's not really that big of a deal. This morning, I've been out applying or getting applications for jobs. It's not that big of a deal I guess, but it would be nice to know I have something before livluv and I get married this upcoming September.

I'm trying to use connections and all that, but I hate this all. I think part of my problem is I don't really know what I want to do. So I'm just applying a little bit of everywhere now. :sigh:

I hate to post this b/c I just read about Mr. BAW and this seems so small now to me, but it's right there on my mind and I had to type it out I guess.

Thanks for reading.

philk

It's not small at all. Starting anything new is difficult. Finding the right place and direction to start just adds to the complexity and uncertainty.

Broadening the scope of options may reveal your true hearts desire. Think of the current limiting factors you are using for your search, and evaluate whether you really need to keep that factor in place (such as living in Florida - are there other states that are possibilities).

Let us know how it goes so we can know specifically how to pray for the both of you.

I'm not sure if this clears things up for me or not. :)

I had an appointment right after I posted the above. This was a follow up meeting to a meeting where I took a couple tests. The Meyers Briggs and another one I can't think of but it was an interest test.

Every single test picked elementary education teacher or special education teacher as my best suited job choice.

This would mean going back to school and getting the degree. However, I was an education major for 2 1/2 years before finishing with a recreation major. I have always thought about going back...So maybe it won't be so bad...I have a meeting with an old friend who is a professor in the Education departement set for next week.

Oh, for those wondering...and i know you are...I'm a ENFP:wink:

The tests may point you to education, but is that your passion? Is it something you like to talk about? Does it get you excited? If so, you've got your goal.

But then again, I'm an ISTJ, what do I know :wink:

If education excites you, and from what I remember, you've worked with kids a lot, so you know what that's like, it sounds like a wonderful opportunity and idea.

This coming from an INTP, for what it's worth. :wink:

Ah the joy of looking for jobs, im going for part time work right now and am amazed at the tedium of these group activities and testing for the most basic functionary positions - I guess that there is an effeciency to it though

Good luck at whatever path you either choose or get chosen for from an INTJ

Woohoo, I get to finance Phil's continuing education! I think we're going for some student debt record or something...$100,000 + and additional $25,000 per year if he goes back :faint:

LivLuvAndBootlegMusic said:
Woohoo, I get to finance Phil's continuing education! I think we're going for some student debt record or something...$100,000 + and additional $25,000 per year if he goes back :faint:

There has be a college he can go to for less than $25,000 a year!

WildHoneyAlways said:

There has be a college he can go to for less than $25,000 a year!

There are, but he's already halfway (maybe farther) through the degree here, so everything would be compatible. When he looked at the colleges in Florida, none of his ed credits transfered! However, if he goes back to our same college, I'm hoping he'll get a HUGE break because 1) he's returning post-grad and 2) I'm told they have grants for married/independent (as in, not claimed dependents) students. I guess if not, what can we do?

Canookia! Best university in the country and you get a BEd in a year after your BA for a cost of $6K.

You know you want to... :wink:

Where is it!???!! :wink:

Ok, I understand $$$ and all that. But where I am at right now, I can just see myself bouncing from one job to another within recreation, HARDLY able to provide for my lovely wife. And with my personality, that would not go well. I'm not saying I'm the power tripping male who needs to provide or I feel like a failure. I would feel more like I am letting Livluv down b/c I can't provide enough. I even apologize now at times b/c I don't make enough. I feel, with and educatoin degree, at least I have a career path I would want to follow.

Listen, I've said it before, I would love to be a stay at home dad some day. :) So please dont' think I am saying all this b/c I "have to provide the bacon" or whatever. But might it be worth it for me to get the education degree?

For what it's worth I say go and get your education degree. Some Universities (I don't know about the one by you) actually have a education bachelors and masters combined for students who already have degrees outside of education.

I was a Journalism major for 2 years when for some strange reason I decided I wanted to go into nursing instead. Changing from an art to a science degree - NOTHING transferred . I had to start over from scratch which wasn’t exactly kind to my budget (plus as a nurse I’m rolling in the money :wink: ) but I’m happy and fulfilled in what I do so if I have to pay direct loans for the rest of my life so be it.

Plus as a teacher has it’s advantages to for when you and Lies have those amazingly gorgeous and perfect children as you will be able to be home during holidays and summer vacations

And since I was curious about the personality test (very sad no one has ever asked me to take it) I’m an ENFJ

Got Philk? said:
But might it be worth it for me to get the education degree?

I feel that it's never a mistake to go back to school if you've found something you think you will enjoy.

It sucks that it's so expensive, and that there are problems with your credits. But can't you just get a BEd after your BA, and that's independent of your credits anyway? I know a ton of people who, when failed to get into a Canadian BEd went down to Buffalo (SUNY maybe?), forked over the cash and got their degree in 8 months. So it's not as if you'll be stuck in school forever, right?

Better than taking dead end jobs that make you no money and lead you nowhere in life except to more frustration. Always think longterm.

For what it's worth, Phil is my fiance and I've always felt he should go back to school. It's the timing (read, finances) that have been the on-going issue for us. He always was going to be a teacher, probably special ed, but from what I understand from him, he tested fine on the state's test, but was still not let into our school's program because their academic standards are much higher than the state's. I know Phil had some trouble grade-wise when I first met him, but now that he has a degree, his GPA has gone up since that time. From what he's said, I think it would be another year of class to finish the credits for the ed degree, and then the semester student teaching (I think our ed majors who finish the program straight through are in college for 4.5-5 years). However, if we moved to another state, he might have to start over because the ed credits he had before he wasn't in the program would not transfer.

Anyway, I really really think he needs this degree because 1) it's what he's always wanted 2) it will give him a larger range of job options when combined with his youth recreation degree and 3) it will give him more stable and widely available job options.

The problem right now is this: together we owe over $100,000 in student debt. My parents haven't helped me financially since I was 17 and pretty much the same for him. So, we have the debt, are still working on living arrangements, and neither of us have found jobs despite each of us applying for like three jobs a day. West Michigan is one of the worse places in the country to find jobs right now. Our local economy has lagged behind the rest of the country for years now and it's not getting better. I really have no clue how we are going to afford rent, paying debts, paying insurance, paying for Phil's medication, and somehow putting him back in school full time, even if he went to a crappier school.

Longterm, I think this would be wonderful since we are still researching opportunities for Africa and if this doesn't fit there, at least he will have a career to come back to (and as an enthusiastic male special ed teacher, he'd be almost guaranteed to find a job easily).

Edit: I'm an ISTJ, btw :D

Last edited:
If Phil goes back to school, can you defer payments on his loans while he is there? I know that is the case up here, if you are a full-time student, you will get a deferral until you are finished with school, so in effect you'd "only" have your half of the loans to worry about for that time? Might not be ideal, but better than nothing?

Yes, if you are a full-time student you can defer your loans while in school and get another 6 month grace period. However, interest still builds up and my loans make up for way more than half of the debt. Maybe I should go back...:wink:

LivLuvAndBootlegMusic said:
Yes, if you are a full-time student you can defer your loans while in school and get another 6 month grace period. However, interest still builds up and my loans make up for way more than half of the debt. Maybe I should go back...:wink:

I also know that direct loans will also grant extended deferment if you can prove that you are cash strapped - up to 12 - 24 months. I also had my loans consolidated which dropped the rate considerably. I had always viewed the people at direct loans as evil spawn of Satan but the women I talked to when I was still looking for a job 6 months out of university was extremely helpful

then there is refinancing the bastards

yes the interest builds up but at least when you are ready to start paying on the loans you will be in a better place in terms of your finances.

I don't know what is like where you two live but I know some states actually offer tuition forgiveness programs for teachers if they are willing to work in high need areas

nurse chrissi said:
I don't know what is like where you two live but I know some states actually offer tuition forgiveness programs for teachers if they are willing to work in high need areas

Yes, there is some kind of break for those going into educational fields, thankfully! We'll have some research to do.

Unfortunately, much of what I owe, which is the majority of what we owe, is not from the government but private corps like Citi and Great Lakes (I took all the gov't money available, but as a 17-20 year old only able to work enough hours to make 10K a year I had to take out additional loans) and the private companies don't offer as many perks as the government.

Best scenario would be we both find jobs, but that's pretty much impossible in this area right now, even for people with 10 years field experience and/or post-grad degrees.

Back
Top Bottom