Job hunting Sucks ........

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I've been on the academic job market since October and have only had one interview so far, and I wasn't even a finalist. This is out of over 60 applications that I've done so far. It's terrifying knowing I'm going to have a PhD in about six weeks and will be unemployed :crazy:

it took me over a year to find full time work when I graduated in 2003, and I'm not even using my degree right now. I might have to begin looking again as my company is acquiring another company and plans to eliminate some jobs :yikes: I hate job hunting!!!

I hear you! Job hunting is never easy for me and always takes forever! The biggest problem is looking for a job while already working at an existing job. After a hard day's work, you have no interest whatsoever in looking for another job. You just wanna kick back, relax and turn on the blue crack. Plus there's the hassles of taking a call from an interviewer at the workplace! It's basically a royal pain in the ass! I think that's why the best strategy to adopt is to just power thru it. If you keep procrastinating and dragging on, applying for only a few jobs here and there, you'll never get anywhere and you'll feel miserable for a long time till you find something concrete. Instead if you just totally cut down on your leisure time, esp. during weeknights (you can party on weekends) and keep applying for jobs and putting in a 100% effort, it HAS to pay off soon. If you're doing it right, it has to work! Good luck! :up:

^ Thanks... The first few weeks I was getting tons of calls, now its dwindled down and nada.

I've given 110% since I am not working at all, it seems all I do is send out the resumes and go on the interviews. One company had me come back twice, plus I knew 2 people in the company and still nada. I am worried that my last job has something to do with it. I left/was let go mutually and everytime Im asked about it, I just say it wasn't a good fit; that my job description was changing on a weekly basis, etc and truthfully I hated one of the girls that worked there bigtime. She was there for a few years and it really came down to seniority. She had me doing all her work :mad: and when I mentioned it to my boss, well she didn't like that very much. :censored:

The best advice with job hunting I can give is realize that you don't have to stay at the next job forever. If nothing else, take something that will help you make ends meet while you look for your dream job.

It might not hurt to go over your resume and cover letter again. Make sure in your letter you're using lots of strong, active verbs and very clear language. This is how a prospective employer is going to meet you for the first time---you want to wow them!

Good luck. If you're still having trouble, you can come live in the cardboard box my cat and I will be in before too long :wink:

Awwwe, sorry your having such a rough time. My brother was laid off from Burberrys on December 1st, and same thing nada. He is expecting his second child in July. :huh:

Hang in there, good things come to those who wait. What is it that you do? If you don't mind me asking? PM me. :wink:

Since your home we can always meet for lunch. Pizzas on me!

:hug:

I spent all day applying for jobs from July - October of '06. I can't remember how many apps I prepared. :huh: The ONLY call I even got was for this amazing job I knew I wasn't qualified for, but they wanted someone with my personality (experience working with kids, and very neat and organized). I actually did three interviews with them and the final committee than interviewed me and the other person was split 3 and 3. Of course the principal picked the other guy :grumpy: Eventually, I got re-hired for the job I'd been doing for 4 years but had to quit b/c I was no longer a student. One of the exempt-level employees quit, so I got his job and now do the same thing I did through college. It's a really good job, but I was REALLY ready to move on since I was burned out and it's not even in a field I'm that interested in. Oh well, someone has to pay the bills so I'll be doing this for a few more years. My resume is on Monster but the only hits I get are jobs that high schoolers could do. We live in the 49th worst state economics-wise, so most people I know that have degrees and graduate degrees are still working retail and making less than $10/hr.

I really have no advice b/c I probably need some myself, but I hope you find something soon!

The thing I really hate about job hunting is companies that advertise their jobs openly and still ignore anyone unless you already have some kind of connection. That really bugs me. Why bother and waste other people's time if you're not actually going to interview anyone? :madspit:

It took me 3 years of hunting after I finished college before I found a good job. The first 5 months of searching resulted in a part-time job working for the same company (different location) I worked for while I was in high school. Very frustrating...:( It's also very worth it when you finally strike gold though. Good luck. :hug:

JCOSTER said:
Awwwe, sorry your having such a rough time. My brother was laid off from Burberrys on December 1st, and same thing nada. He is expecting his second child in July. :huh:

Hang in there, good things come to those who wait. What is it that you do? If you don't mind me asking? PM me. :wink:

Since your home we can always meet for lunch. Pizzas on me!

Burberrys :shifty: :drool:

You think job hunting is hard?

Try job hunting in a bilingual city when you're English-speaking and only have a working knowledge of spoken French :wink:

Even shit jobs (grocery bagger) are off limits unless you're tricky :drool:

I spent most of the winter months this year worrying about summer employment. I didn't want to go back to my old job (although it paid well and I would have had a good time), because I really wanted some legal experience. Finally struck gold, and got an amazing position. But the hunt is terrible, the interviewing is bad too, because sometimes you get a sense of a vibe right away and other times you're left cold...but you need the money. So it's tough.

Best of luck to you!

Knock 'em Dead: The Ultimate Job Search Guide by Martin Yate

This is a must have book for all those seeking employment ~ it's probably available at your local library. It's filled with all sorts of advice on everything from resumes and cover letters to interviews and the all important follow up.

Good luck :)

Thanks ^

Just a had 2nd interview today, with 4 different people which I was never told about, I wound up being there for about 2 hours :crack: and it seemed promising so fingers crossed!

luck.gif

I've got no advice, I'm self employed. :wink:

ETA: if anyone knows Cold Fusion and websites
12_5_38.gif
me

Last edited:
So I got a call from the girl in HR yesterday asking me how I felt the interview went and that everyone really liked me and which dept would i prefer...I was upbeat and positive and she said she was glad I was interested and was going to talk to everybody and she'll be in touch. Today, nada :|

Well, you don't know how many people = 'everybody', and perhaps there's many to go through. Or someone could be out of the office, etc. Don't get all down on yourself just yet. Deep breaths!
luck.gif

Lila64 said:
Well, you don't know how many people = 'everybody', and perhaps there's many to go through. Or someone could be out of the office, etc. Don't get all down on yourself just yet. Deep breaths!
luck.gif

:hug:

thanks everyone :up:

I would think I would've heard back by now but we'll see the days not over.

So tomorrow is one week since my 2nd interview. I did hear back from HR the following day but I have yet to hear back. Do I call and follow up or wait until Wednesday. People have told me they've recieved job offers a week or so after their interviews but I feel if they wanted me they would've called :shrug:

So I bit the bullet and called...She was about to pick up the phone and formally give me the offer just as I called her lol! However, I am still negotiating and she said she'd see if there was room on the offer and get back to me by the end of the day and she hasn't so far. Hopefully tomorrow :slant:

I must say in all my experience I've never had anyone offer me a job and not call me back.:| I asked if there was room on the number they offered me Yesterday and she was going to get back to me by the end of the day...Now it's a day and a half later and not a word very bizarre :huh:

Back
Top Bottom