I've Not Enjoyed U2 as I thought...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bono_man2002

Blue Crack Addict
Well its not so much that i've not enjoyed it..
I have, but I'm not as hyped as I thought I Would Be.

I've seen The Rehersal, San Diego I & II, Anaheim I & II, and will be at both L.A ....before getting back on that plane for the long flight back downunder.

I was really exited when I was online buying tickets...but It came to seeing the shows, and they were great!, no doubt, I had fun....but I'm not as into it as I thought I would be.
maybe its because I'm sitting by myself each night, and not with fans/friends I know....That must have something to do with it, It could also be missing home...even though my Mother and Sister have come along too (they went to SD I, and sat elsewhere)

I'm sure I'll have a few tears after the second L.A show....So I better start enjoying it while it lasts.

Yeah, you're experiencing the reality of life. You're expectations were so grand that reality couldn't measure up. That, and your sitting alone at the concerts DOES take alot out of the experiences. I did that once at a Bob Dylan show and couldn't stop ranting about how awful the show turned out...in fact, I was just lonely and felt alone in that giant crowd of fans.

You are lucky to attend one show, let alone 4 or 5 or however many it is. Realize THIS FACT, and you'll be more than happy after the last show. :) Have fun, and don't worry about flying back to Australia. You'll make more wonderful memories when you get back! Cheers, mate!

I actually like going to concerts alone, because then I can concentrate entirely on the show, but I am kind of a loner anyway. I can imagine if you are a more gregarious person you would feel a bit out of sorts going alone though.

I also agree that the experience you build up in your mind is often more sweet and intense than reality. I've found that to be true so often...that the anticipation of a particular even is more pleasurable than the actual event.

But I do think that looking back on it in the future you will be able to realize just what a wonderful experience you had...sometimes it just takes a bit of perspective.

Well this isn't perfectly related, but I was thinking yesterday that I'm starting to lose my illusions regarding Bono. Ever since I started coming to Interference, I've learned alot of stuff about him that I never knew before and it's made me see his real and very human side, where before I'd always put him on a pedestal. I had a bad case of hero-worship and I'm getting to the age where I can't afford to expend any more energy to keep it up. I will always admire him, but I can no longer pretend he's perfect, etc. which is good right? 'Cos it means I won't obsess so much and worry that I'm missing this or that thing that he might be involved/appearing in.
Of course after dreaming about him last night, I want to see U2 in concert more than ever, but save for a miracle, it ain't gonna happen! I just pray to God that if I'm not meant to see them this time around, I get another chance in another few years (by then I'll have finished school, have obtained a decent job and will have money, etc. but of course I'll be 35, and Bono and Co. will be close to fifty! :yikes:

I agree. I always go to U2 shows by myself because nobody around me really cares.:ohmy: That has never bothered me before but now that your not even guaranteed a spot in the ellipse it makes it even more lonesome. I mean at least last tour you got to hang out with fans and all go in together and just enjoy all of it. Now it's just to unpredicatble and I don't like that. SO I'm pretty much the dork who is standing in front of the soundboard just waiting for them to start the show so I can really enjoy myself. Sorry if this sound like crap but my expectations where higher and reality sucks a little. But it's allright because once they start to play all the worries and crap goes away and that's all worth it!

I go to U2 shows by myself, because I'm the only U2 fan in my family in a small conservative Southern town with very few U2 fans in it. I'm only going to one show, November 18 in Atlanta. I'm sure I'll enjoy it. Elevation was great, and I like the current album much better than I do ATYCLB, so I'm sure I'll enjoy it. Your mileage on all this may be different...........

You know what, one day you are going to meet someone who has no great love for U2. You are going to tell them about your experiences, they will listen to U2 and feel truly amazing. They will understand and recieve great joy just from hearing about your experiences. Good for you for going for your dreams!

Yeah, I am actually nervous about the show in May that I am going to with a friend who is not a huge fan. I am thinking it would probably be better to be going by myself :|

Went by myself to 2 Elevation shows and it was amazing and I didn't even think about the fact I was alone for one second during the show :drool:

indra said:
I actually like going to concerts alone, because then I can concentrate entirely on the show, but I am kind of a loner anyway. I can imagine if you are a more gregarious person you would feel a bit out of sorts going alone though.

I also agree that the experience you build up in your mind is often more sweet and intense than reality. I've found that to be true so often...that the anticipation of a particular even is more pleasurable than the actual event.

But I do think that looking back on it in the future you will be able to realize just what a wonderful experience you had...sometimes it just takes a bit of perspective.

That's just exactly what I was thinking. All of it. I'd add that some of my favorite shows of different artists have been ones I attended alone but you do have to be in the mood for that, or just be the kind of person who enjoys that.

Sorry to hear that. Please come back and share your experiences with us. That way you will get to relive them and no doubt you will have had an amazing time. Also you will get to keep the dream alive for those of us who have not yet had their chance to see U2 live.

Manchester 15/6.

It totally changed for the last show...LA 4/6.
Firstly My mother and Sister queued up all day for tickets, and GOT IN!
I stood around where the band would enter (along with what ended up being another 100 or so people)

and Edge came out!!, He signed my Vertigo Tour Program!! :hyper:
Bono arrived as edge was signing (he was late for soundcheck, I could hear them rehearsing COBL without Bono in the gift shop at the staples centre)
Bono stoped, waved and walked in. But atleast I got edge.

My seats kinda sucked...up the top, Last row :). But it was a pretty good show.

bono_man2002 said:
It totally changed for the last show...LA 4/6.
Firstly My mother and Sister queued up all day for tickets, and GOT IN!
I stood around where the band would enter (along with what ended up being another 100 or so people)

and Edge came out!!, He signed my Vertigo Tour Program!! :hyper:
Bono arrived as edge was signing (he was late for soundcheck, I could hear them rehearsing COBL without Bono in the gift shop at the staples centre)
Bono stoped, waved and walked in. But atleast I got edge.

My seats kinda sucked...up the top, Last row :). But it was a pretty good show.

I'm glad you had a good time :hug:

Sometimes, I build up my expectations for some things so high that it stresses me out :reject:

But with this trip, I kept telling myself to relax and just take in the experience, and it worked! :)

Congratulations on meeting Edge too :hyper: :bow:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom