I've never had a massage

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Doozer61

Blue Crack Addict
Really, I have never had a massage and everybody raves about them.

I am ticklish and very sensitive to hard pressure on my muscles and joints. But my friends have someone they want me to see and she'll be gentle with me but I am still afraid. I don't think I will be able to relax and it will just stress me out more.

:(

I've only had one, but it was nice. I was doing a web site and some PR for a non-profit women's initiative on campus and after I met with the leader, she told me these kid were coming from the massage school to practice and I could sign up for free. I did it and it was really nice, practice or not. He had to skip my left arm b/c it had been ripped to shreds by a dog earlier that week, but definitely one of the best "free" things ever!

I've had one and I didn't really enjoy it. I don't like being touched by strangers in anyway or feeling like I can't move around when I want. For me, it ranked with going to the dentist. :reject:

I don't know, maybe with someone who was really good at it, it might be different.

I've had lots of massages. Don't worry, Doozer. Professional massage therapists deal with all kinds of people from every imaginable scenario, much like a doctor or any other kind of therapist. And it's not like you're lying there naked; you're covered with a sheet and/or towel and only the part of the body that is being worked on is exposed--or that's how it usually is and should be. If she's working on your left calf, only your left calf is uncovered. You may not be entirely relaxed during it since it's new to you but hopefully you'll be relaxed afterwards. It's so good for you, physically, emotionally and spiritually, IMO.

Not every therapist is good, unfortunately, but since you have someone highly recommended to you by your friends who know you, then she should be good. I don't think your friends would let you go to someone who's insensitive.

Good luck. :)

Any good therapist will adjust the pressure to your comfort-level. Being ticklish can usually be remedied by applying firm - not hard - pressure, or just staying away from the ticklish spots. :)

I'd never had a massage before a few months ago, and I was very nervous going into it the first time. I don't like people touching me unless I know them, and I am extremely ticklish as well.

The woman who gave me the massage was super professional, and I felt very comfortable within a few minutes. If you let them know about this upfront, I'm sure that will help them know how best to help you.

I've loved mine, and I highly recommend it. I agree with what joyfulgirl said. Someone your friends recommend will definitely be good.

i know what you mean. i'm not really a touchy-feely type of person. i've gotten better but i'm still kinda awkward.

anyway when i got my first massage i was really really uncomfortable and tense and nervous and stressed out. but then he found some knots and all my uneasiness dropped because it
felt
so
good!

now i'm not as awkward when i get massages. and the more i learn about holistic health care, the more i'm comfortable with it.

I had one once, but the lady doing it kept screaming "Don't touch me! DON'T TOUCH ME! I don't want to do that! Where did you get an idea like that?" And I was like, "I'm not touching you. WTF? Tu eres loca, lady. :coocoo: " Oh, and I also got one of those $15 for 15 minute ones on the boardwalk in Atlantic City at 2am. That one was cool. Very relaxing. I think I feel asleep and maybe drooled a bit.

Go for it, Doozer. You'll enjoy it. Just take a few deep breathes, close your eyes and go with it. Enjoy!

UberBeaver said:

I had one once, but the lady doing it kept screaming "Don't touch me! DON'T TOUCH ME! I don't want to do that! Where did you get an idea like that?" And I was like, "I'm not touching you. WTF? Tu eres loca, lady. :coocoo: "

You have your moments. Sigh.

I've never gotten one, though I've been told by a number of people in the field that I medically need one due to my stress knots in my upper back. I'm not quite sure how a sixteen year old is supposed to go about getting a massage, though.

phillyfan26 said:
I've never gotten one, though I've been told by a number of people in the field that I medically need one due to my stress knots in my upper back. I'm not quite sure how a sixteen year old is supposed to go about getting a massage, though.
Book an appointment and go from there :wink:

Seriously though, it all comes down to the competence of the therapist. That being said, a great deal depends on your own input. Don't be afraid to speak up if something is uncomfortable or you need them to adjust the pressure in any way. If they don't listen or can't put you at ease, go see someone else, because a quality therapist will be able to.

I've had more massages than I care to count, the vast majority of them during my year and a half stay in China.

The full-body massages were approximately $5 an hour so I took advantage and had one everyday, sometimes for more than one hour at a time. They were, for the most, done while I was fully clothed, or at the most without my shirt on.

Sometimes, I'd get a blind-man massage, which was interesting to say the least. It is believed that when one loses one of their senses the others become heightened and more refined. In this case, I didn't really notice much of a difference.

During the end of my stay I was coerced to try foot massages. My feet are extremely ticklish, so I was very apprehensive at first but I loved them. They started me off by soaking my feet in what I believed was hot tea. After approximately 10-15 minutes a woman would come and massage my feet and lower legs for about 30 minutes. My feet were then wrapped in hot towels (which felt amazing) and while sitting in a chair my neck and soldiers were rubbed for about 10 minutes.

Now here comes my favourite part. Haircuts cost about $6-7 Canadian (at the time—they would be more expensive now) and I wasn't sure about getting one due to the language barrier. But boy was I glad I went!

First, I was brought to the back and asked to lie down in front of a sink. A girl wet my hair, lathered it with shampoo and then proceeded to massage my scalp for 20 minutes. Absolute heaven!

She then rinsed, shampooed and massaged my scalp again for another 20 minutes. She did this for a third time and then it was time for my haircut!

Following the cut I got a five minute neck and shoulder massage, then brought to the back where my hair was rinsed and mssaged for another 5 minutes.

Needless to say, I got my haircut every 2 weeks, even though the norm for me is every 1.5-2 months!

Ah, I love massages. :drool:

I've had one massage, booked during a really stressful time at work.

No one prepared me for the possibility of bursting into tears at the first gentle touch! :lol: Guess I needed a release.

It was great. To those of you who have regular massages, do you drink a lot of water afterward? Before I had one, someone had told me to make sure to drink water. I didn't think to do so, and I didn't know why, but about an hour after my massage, I had a horrible headache. Someone told me that was the "toxins" released from the massage, now floating around inside me.

Um ... okay. I don't know if that's very scientific or anything, but there was no denying that awful headache.

Anyone else ever have that?

corianderstem said:
To those of you who have regular massages, do you drink a lot of water afterward? Before I had one, someone had told me to make sure to drink water. I didn't think to do so, and I didn't know why, but about an hour after my massage, I had a horrible headache. Someone told me that was the "toxins" released from the massage, now floating around inside me.

Um ... okay. I don't know if that's very scientific or anything, but there was no denying that awful headache.

I've had a lot of massages over the years, and yes, I think it's a great idea to drink plenty of water.

A massage will definitely release toxins from your system, and they can cause a headache. It gets better as you have more massages, and if you eat well, exercise, breathe deeply, yada yada.

corianderstem said:
I've had one massage, booked during a really stressful time at work.

No one prepared me for the possibility of bursting into tears at the first gentle touch! :lol: Guess I needed a release.

It was great. To those of you who have regular massages, do you drink a lot of water afterward? Before I had one, someone had told me to make sure to drink water. I didn't think to do so, and I didn't know why, but about an hour after my massage, I had a horrible headache. Someone told me that was the "toxins" released from the massage, now floating around inside me.

Yep, drink lots of water after and try using heat over the area that was massaged to help stimulate circulation, especially if it's a particularily deep treatment. Otherwise the toxins, lactic acid, etc. released from the massage just sit there and potentially cause soreness or a headache as you experienced. There are also ways a therapist can apply the techniques - that they should know - to minimize the chance of that happening.

Also, the emotional release you experienced during the massage is perfectly normal and occasionally happens to some people.

:nerd:

Last edited:
Thanks! :up:

I'll definitely have massages again in the future, and will remember to drink a lot of water afterward.

Other than the headache, it was a lovely experience. I didn't feel uncomfortable at all. I don't know that I could ever go for a full hour. That's a little too much of some stranger touching me. :wink:

kafrun said:
Also, the emotional release you experienced during the massage is perfectly normal and occasionally happens to some people.
My worries exactly...the old pup tent...

pup_tent.jpg
otherwise, I'd do it....

Back
Top Bottom