I've never had a massage

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I've had massages, trigger point massages (this is amazing, but painful), reflexology and reiki. I highly recommend all of them for different things.

And lots of times your health plan will allow you to deduct certain massage-related costs (usually when they are prescribed by an MD), and if so, definitely take advantage of that.

The only thing I'm not really sold on is chiro.

anitram said:
And lots of times your health plan will allow you to deduct certain massage-related costs (usually when they are prescribed by an MD), and if so, definitely take advantage of that.

:yes:

A few months ago I discovered that our benefits cover a good chunk of money for this, so I have been taking advantage of it. If I hadn't found out, I probably never would have gone.

I splurge and go to a spa, so that means I don't get as many massages as I would if I had gone elsewhere, but I love being pampered. :)

Thomas Edison once said "The doctor of the future will give no medicine, but will interest his patients in the care of the human frame, in diet, and in the cause and prevention of disease."

I firmly believe that holistic health care played a big role in my recovery from PTSD. I have so much respect for the field. My chiropractor, my health counselor, and the occasional massages I get have really helped me feel better. If I had the guts to tackle chemistry, I'd go into the field myself to do for others what these people have done for me.

:wink: Oh go! you'll love it!!! I used to get this 'Euro-facial'at this local beauty school, where they would get a certificate just for this facial! It was so nice to have not just my face massaged, but my neck, shoulders, upper arms that it would put me right to sleep! And even when it was my first time, the lady that did that for me was very professional! It is good for you; body, mind and soul! Skin, too! :yes: :sexywink: :giggle:

Mr. BAW said:
My worries exactly...the old pup tent...

pup_tent.jpg
otherwise, I'd do it....
Even though it's a natural response to relaxation, it actually doesn't really happen. That and any professional wouldn't even bat an eyelash :shrug: Also, I give my clients a heavy blanket, so it's not like you'd see anything anyway :wink:

ah Dooz. I'm a massage therapist. Just be honest with her and tell her you're kind of nervous or anxious, and that you're tickelish and she'll understand perfectly. It's her job to communicate with you through the massage. So if somethings too tickelish, she may put a bit more pressure on you to take away that sensation. If you're super tickelish on your feet or hands or something, you can tell her you'd prefer her NOT to work on those area's too.

And another note.....we've all been taught in school that if someone's not comfortable with a massage or going in to their first...you DONT have to get undressed. She wouldnt be able to use the oils, of course, but until you're comfortable with her, you do have the choice to keep all your clothes on.

I'd say start with a 30 minute massage. It gives you a tiny taste for what it is. That way she'll only work on your neck and back, or whatever you want her to concentrate on, rather than go in to a full body massage.

Have fun with it!!! Don't be too nervous!!! We're not that scarey! :giggle:

I love, love, love massages and have gotten a few. It doesn't hurt that my aunt is a massage therapist, though sadly she lives far away so I only see her on occasion. My parents bought me a few at the college health center last for my birthday last semester. I also get accupressure, which might be good if you're ticklish. I missed my accupressure yesterday and I'm really feeling it now between my shoulder blades.

Doozer61 said:
well, i am still considering it. everytime i think to call and schedule i put it off. :reject:

DO IT!

I was nervous the first time too but I ended up so relaxed, I fell completely asleep. I was so lifeless, the massage therapist had to ask me if I was okay :lol: :reject:

I started getting massages a couple of years back because of pain and stress in my upper back/shoulder area. It worked like a charm. I always feel so relaxed afterwards.

Back
Top Bottom