I've never been in love.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
you know, I'm 29 and I've been in love once. It ended very badly...very very badly.

On a happier note for you, I was 24 when it happened. So there's lots of hope for ya! However, now that I'm 29 and don't have anybody I too sit and think "I will never find love" lol

Same here, i am a bit older and when i was 22 i thought the same thing. So, didnt happenened , because i was obssesed with some guy at my university and didnt see the real persons instead(including him). Wont happen again

Ha!

Try being 40 and never choosing love.

I've been "in lust" many a time though!

To be honest, I'm still working on loving myself... and I'll tell ya... I'm one hard bastard to fall in love with.

What's the Groucho Marx quote?

"I'd never join a club that would have me as one of it's members."

Thank God Someone does love me despite myself.

i'm 28 and i've only been in love once, and i didn't even know it at the time, it was only in retrospect since i was like a deer in headlights the whole time.

don't rush things. move at your own pace. the worst decisions are made when you feel as if you have to live up to some society-perpetuated myth. the idea of romantic, all-consuming, joyful love is oppressive -- yes, it certainly exists, but you are no less of a human being for not yet having experienced it, and the million-and-one trashy pop songs and silly romantic comedies that reinforce this idea that you-are-nobody-till-somebody-loves-you is simply awful (and, really, just another marketing scheme, as if you can purchase love through the consumption of appropriate beauty products, novels, magazines, and television shows).

Palace_Hero said:
I've never been in love. Been in lust and infactuation, but never love. And I'm a happy chap. Don't let it get to ya mate.

you're Australian, aren't you?
Hmm I recognize this...

For all of you, one day love will be there, at the time you expected the least. I know it's a cliché but it's true.
Don't go and search for love...

Amélie said:
For all of you, one day love will be there, at the time you expected the least. I know it's a cliché but it's true.
Don't go and search for love...

Nice sentiment, but I respectfully disagree. While it's never good to "desperately" search for anything, I do believe I have to "put myself out there" in order to find someone.... always with the understanding that I just might not find someone, or better yet, I may not choose someone. For me, love is a choice (see thread on "what is love") and I have come to know and have relationships with women that I have ended up caring about immensely, yet have chosen not to commit to a loving relationship... Or I have been incapable of it (that's for me and my shrink to realize... IF I had a shrink).
Not very romantic, I know, but I reject the idea of a soul mate or "true love", and definately "love at first sight".
It's going to end up being my choice as to whether "surrender" to someone, or not.

I'm not forcing it or really looking, or even bothered most of the time. I don't need anyone, but I would like someone by now. I just feel like it'd be nice, ya know?

I am 21 -- I'll be 22 in November -- and probably I am falling in love for the first time

I was sure it could not happen easily because it's not so easy for me to feel affection for someone else -- also for the people I care a lot for!

But then I made a crazy trip to the other side of the world and met the special, fascinating, wonderful guy you can see in my avatar...

And now I believe everything can happen.

As usual, I forgot a part in my previous post! Sorry!

When I left for the vacation I was talking about before, I was not expecting anything to happen.

But it just happened.

It is funny, good things come your way when you are not searching for it

And Chikadee, believe me: do not trust the people telling you they felt in love a lot of times. I am almost sure it is not a thing that occurs every day and with every people. I am sure there are couples around that think that say they're in love but they ARE NOT!

Irvine511, i totally agree with you. i am fed up with all that romantic shit and it is following us since we were the kids, right?So you have that fake picture about love or what love suppose to be watching all those romatic movies with happy ending.
But there is one thing about love experience:i strongly believe that it is important for your self esteem and to develop your personality. I am not saying i am half a person(even though i felt this way many times), but my ideals... they just have their own price and now when i suppose to be grown up, i feel like a baby in many ways.:mad:

chickadee said:
And I'm 22! I feel sad about it - and I don't think I'm likely to find someone any time soon.

Le sob.

Care to elaborate on what you, personally, mean by love?

Love can mean so many things........

chickadee said:
I'm not forcing it or really looking, or even bothered most of the time. I don't need anyone, but I would like someone by now. I just feel like it'd be nice, ya know?

I understand, I was just projecting when I said 'forcing". 22 is just a baby :wink: you have plenty of time. I'm much older than that and I've never felt true love.. feelings bordering on obsessive infatuation and longing, yes. Unrequited love as in he is amazing and wonderful and I wish, yes. Frustration and hurt, yes. But love as in feeling truly accepted and understood by someone else and completely safe with them, no

Give yourself time to discover who you are and what you need and deserve, that's all :) Our culture romanticizes love as if it's easy, hearts and flowers, and shouldn't require work - and I think that is just total bs.

I don't think I've ever been in love either(27) but the thing is though is that I fell for a girl when I was 22, long story short things never worked out. I've dated other people since then but I haven't even come close to feeling about anyone else the way I flt about her. Not even a fraction close. Everything always comes back to her. Even when I'm dating someone else I think about her alot. It's kinda crappy cause I'll be going about my life and I'll just start thinking about her and wondering what she's up to.

In summer I can taste the salt in the sea
There's a kite blowing out of control on a breeze
I wonder what's gonna happen to you
You wonder what has happened to me

Those lyrics make me sad sometimes because I know that's all that I'll ever be able to do about it is wonder. Wonder about her and wonder how she is and hope that she's happy. Is that love? I don't know. I do know it's hard and it's powerful.

The fact you still care for her is very sweet, according to me...

I'm starting thinking that love really makes your feeling of protection bigger and bigger. I want to know the person I feel for is safe, that everything is going right, that there are no obstacles on his way.
And, if there are, I want to be the one that can help to solve them.

Thinking about being powerless and useless gets me mad!

I still don't know if I'm in love or if I'm just fooling myself and I'm completely wrong on this person.
But I just know that I'm ready to do a lot of things I won't do in a common situation...

Hallucination said:
I don't think I've ever been in love either(27) but the thing is though is that I fell for a girl when I was 22, long story short things never worked out. I've dated other people since then but I haven't even come close to feeling about anyone else the way I flt about her. Not even a fraction close. Everything always comes back to her. Even when I'm dating someone else I think about her alot. It's kinda crappy cause I'll be going about my life and I'll just start thinking about her and wondering what she's up to.

In summer I can taste the salt in the sea
There's a kite blowing out of control on a breeze
I wonder what's gonna happen to you
You wonder what has happened to me

Those lyrics make me sad sometimes because I know that's all that I'll ever be able to do about it is wonder. Wonder about her and wonder how she is and hope that she's happy. Is that love? I don't know. I do know it's hard and it's powerful.

Fuck yes that's love. At least, I think it is. Love is really all subjective, isn't it? I hate it when people say to other people "oh that's not really love." Love is whatever you perceive it to be. If you truly feel like you love someone, then who's anyone to say you don't?

I'm afraid I may be in the same situation you are, Hallu.

Don't lament about not being in love. I felt bad about it too, but then I actually did fall in love and it sucked.

Windmilllane
^

You'd make an excellent spy - you're never out of character....

==========

loving damn well hurts. If you've never been in love, then look at the bright side, you avoid pain. Heh, that's a wuss's way of saying things, though. But it does hurt. My god, it's unlike anything you'll ever feel. But I guess the good times are just the same. But it does hurt. It can shake you to your existance, and sometimes you'll always remain sensative to it, no matter what.

and then sometimes you just can't get enough.

*see, "So Cruel" (Actung Baby), and also "Who's gonna ride your wild horses", "Acrobat", "love is blindness", etc, etc, etc..........

unfortunately it seems love & pain can't be separate...

and maybe also doubts & suspicious minds don't help!

I think I've been in love, once, ah well I'm still really young, plenty of time left for me to fall for someone again, although thinking about this I don't think any of the girls I've "known" have ever loved me oddly enough:shrug:

Although being pretentious, annoying and having a strange sense of humour aren't exactly the most endearing qualities, I write alot though, that in itself probably stenches of a general anal approach to my own social life:wink:

Possibly thinking too much is also a quality that girls of my age (17/ 18) don't find that attractive but I'm not that concerned.........

Last edited:
"love is pain,pain is love"

Anyone who chooses to avoid that, in my opinion, is a fool.

Loving someone is a strange thing. For me, knowing I'm always going to care about someone, and that they will have influence over my immediate mood and stuff, that's really an amazing thing. And, like me, if you are ...... stepping away from a reliationship, sometimes..... it's just like.......

You just want to tell the other person the power they have over you, but you can't.

It's hard, because I know I'm always going to have a weakness for that certain woman..... but .... I guess I can accept that. :|

Back
Top Bottom