I've Given My Guitar a Name

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

phillyfan26

Blue Crack Supplier
I admit it, I've named my guitar.

Anyone else name an inanimate object/musical instrument?

My ipod is named Bonotheism (although i don't refer to it that way... it's just my ipod).

My boyfriend has named his car, his laptop and his imac... He does refer to them by name. :lol:

And don't most guys nickname a body part? ;) :lmao:

I named my first guitar after the girl who inspired me to start playing.

And this thread has inspired me to tell the story, but rather than bore the shit out of all of you, I'm going to post it in my journal where nobody will see it. :up:

ETA: Fuck that, it's 2:30 am. :yawn: The short version: My guitar's name is Sarah, and I started cause she had a boyfriend who played guitar in a band - I had a crush on her (she turned out to be my first serious crush - as close to love as I could have gotten at 14-15 years old, it lasted about 3 years) at church camp, and I decided to learn to play her a love song by the end of the week. Well, the only two songs I could find the chords to were Pride and I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For, so they were the first two I learned. I played ISHFWILF, and it sort of worked. At the time she told me it was great, that I should keep playing, but that she didn't feel the same - I found out about five years later when we ran into each other again, that it was the sweetest thing anybody'd ever done for her, and that the only thing holding her back from kissing me at the time was the boyfriend back home. :shrug: She said she had a crush on me for a couple years too, but decided to keep it a secret because it would complicate things too much for her.

Anyways, after camp I decided to stick with it, and after a year and a half of playing my dad's ancient piece-'o-shit classical guitar, I got an electric for Christmas and named it after Sarah.

I ran into her again about a month before Christmas when she came into the store where I work, she was with her boyfriend (not the same one), and he gave me the look of death - I think she'd told him about me, because when she introduced us, he could tell we were old friends, and he had a sort of shock of recognition on his face when he heard my name, so he dragged her off pretty fast. That was the last time I saw her.

That turned out to be a lot longer than I thought it would be. Good night.

Last edited:
I bought my sister's '89 Beretta from her when I was 16, and I named her Gretta. The name has absolutely stuck, we all refer to the car as Gretta. My dad still drives her, but I don't know how much longer she'll be with us, she isn't very reliable anymore. :(

My first car was named Bobbi-Jo... My girlfriend at the time said I need to name my car, I thought it was stupid to name a car, but she insisted so I came up with the most ridiculous hillbilly name I could think of(no offense to anyone really named Bobbi-Jo). But it actually stuck and everyone started referring to my car as Bobbi-Jo...

I no longer name inanimate objects. The closest I get is that I call my guitars my girlfriend, because let's face it, it's the closest thing I have to a girlfriend.:| So when I'm a loser and am staying in on a Friday night playing guitar and people ask what did you do last night, I can say "I stayed in bed with my girlfriend all night".

I wanna know why males name objects or ships/planes, etc.........a girls name or just refer to it as 'her'.

is it some sort of masculine sh*t about 'him taking care of her'?

I dont really name objects.........;) but then.........;););)

mad1 said:
I wanna know why males name objects or ships/planes, etc.........a girls name or just refer to it as 'her'.

Well you become very intimate with your car when you are waxing or cleaning your car, and most men would rather be intimate with a female rather than a male.

I wonder if gay men name their cars or guitars... I'll have to ask some friends of mine.

I haven't named my guitar yet, but I'm going to buy a bass somewhere soon and I already know what I'm gonna name it :angel: I'll name it after the person I'm buying it with, who's giving me lessons...

never named anything else, tho my cat has a dozen of nicknames :lol:

:lol: I thought I was crazy because I have names for things like my car, my guitar, etc. My guitar is old and the only one who plays it is my son whenever he comes over. Her name is Betty, she's a Danelectro 56. I take good care of her.:wink:

I named my guitar TVC 15 just so I had an excuse to write it on my guitar.

That song kicks ass.

All of my electronics are named after musical things, mostly songs.

Macbook: Stipe
iPod: Amen Omen
Internal hard drive: Citizen Erased
External hard drive 1: Wanderlust
External hard drive 2: Pompeii AM Götterdämmerung
External hard drive 3: Catastrophe and the Cure

Yeah, I'm a nerd. :reject:

Not really something that I own, but I named the voice that calls the stops on the subway/buses/streetcars on the TTC.

I named it Brenda :lol:

I name my cars...I had McDent, The White Knight, The Silver Surfer, and I currently have Blue Doom. Don't even ask.

If I owned a guitar, I'd name it "Dr. Sweep".

TVC 15....does it stand for something? thats pretty random

do you..um..talk to your guitar?

I re-named mine Rory. Because I wanna name my future Explorer Edge.

Back
Top Bottom