...I've gained 40 pounds in two months *fret*

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Edgette

ONE love, blood, life
So my cousin Sarah came over yesterday and I haven't seen her in about four months. She wasn't going to say anything at first but she thought I was pregnant. I finally got on the scale and apparently I've gained forty pounds in the past two months. But not really around my stomach. Yeah there's some weight gain there because I've been eating a lot of fast food at work and then sitting in front of the computer or TV when I get home. But most of it appears to be water gain in my face, legs, ankles, feet, arms and hands. My lower back has been hurting but I didn't really think of it because it's been hurting on and off for a few years. Like my knees. My cousin, who studied to be a nurse, suggested it could be kidney stones or something to do with my kidneys in general or it may be a thyroid problem. Which seems a bit more probabable considering my aunt has a thyroid problem.

I have to make a doctor's appointment ASAP. I'm afraid though. I've really never been sick, I've never had any broken bones, and I don't go for regular check ups. I don't even know my doctor's name or who to call for an appointment.

I'm just hoping it's something minor and not really anything to worry about. But I am concerned obviously.

As bad as a thyroid problem might be, it will be easy enough to lose most if not all the weight you might have gained recently. My neighbour started on thyroid meds and has lost an incredible amount of weight.

My mother in law had liquid water gain due to a heart problem. They pumped 70 pounds of liquid off her, she says, and gave her pills to control it and she stayed skinny.

I would not rule out the fast food and sitting in front of the computer thing though. That is what happened to me. I was in a lot better shape before I got addicted to the internet :eek: I'm a big fast food person too. My husband and kids are very picky eaters and I'm not going to waste a lot of time, money and mess making something 'healthy' they are going to pick at or refuse to eat, so I usually just buy them whatever they want. I am addicted to the stuff the old lady in the corner gas station makes, meat loaf sandwiches, potato salad, rice pudding :shame: on me, we don't like stuff that's good for you.

Last edited:
Well, if it is a thyroid problem at least you will know the answer and can take steps to fix it with meds. That would be much simpler than the old fashioned diet route.

I can't wait to go to my Dr. in August and find out if my weight gain is simple gluttony or something like a thyroid or a slowed down metabolism.

Good luck! :hug:

again on the thyroid -- make them tell you the exact numbers, not just "within range" -- I was hypothyroid for almost 10 years and had all the classic symptoms - thinning hair, always cold, no appetite but weight gain, exhausted all the time etc, but because the HMO I had to go to classified my bloodwork as being at the HIGH end of "within normal range" they would not treat it.

Finally when I saw an independent doctor they went nuts and put me on synthroid right away, after about three days I woke up one morning and felt like Rip Van Winkle, like I had been half asleep all my life and suddenly a curtain had come up or something.

I've had to keep ramping up the dose, every 6 weeks for blood tests, but it's worth it. I hope it goes ok for you!

:hug: :hug: :hug:

Thanks everyone.

I went to the doctor's twice this past week, and my results of my blood test will be in Tuesday. The doctor said it could just be a hormonal change that's causing the weight gain. He kept talking over me when I tried to tell him my symptoms though. :sigh: We'll see what the test results are.

:hug:

I've been diagnosed with hypothyroidism. The doctor started my medication treatment this past week. I'm relieved that I just wasn't gaining weight for no reason.

Edgette said:
I've been diagnosed with hypothyroidism. The doctor started my medication treatment this past week. I'm relieved that I just wasn't gaining weight for no reason.

i'm glad you got the problem diagnosed!
thyroid problems are relatively common it seems.

i was diagnosed with hyperthyroid a couple years ago after i was in a car accident. i didn't notice that i had it and i didn't have any major symptoms but when i was in the emergency room they noticed my heart rate was abnormally fast. also i had a droopy eyelid.

it wasn't until after i was diagnosed that i heard people say 'oh yeah my aunt has that or my cousin has that or my mom has that' etc.

you'd think since it's such a common problem and easy to diagnose with a blood test and relatively easy to treat that they should do the test more regularly in exams.

in my case they just gave me the radio active iodine and now i take synthroid every day.

Back
Top Bottom