I've been trying to hide this and too embarrassed about it, but today just did me in.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FitzChivalry

Rock n' Roll Doggie VIP PASS
At the bottom of the ocean, in the deepest sea
I feel like I ever only start depressing threads in ZOO Confessionals.

Anyway, so . . . my deep, dark secret that I've been trying to be vague about and evade questions about is that I've been, more or less, unemployed for over a year now.

I have two part-time attorney jobs, but they still don't add up nearly to what I would be making in a full-time attorney position. So I've been quietly struggling and getting by with these two part-time jobs while trying to find a full-time position at a firm.

So today, I had my second interview at a firm. Cool firm. Good salary. Good benefits. And the attorney that would be my boss, seemed to like me during our first interview, which lasted about an hour and a half. I thought the first interview went well.

Today was my interview with two main partners and then the attorney I interviewed with last week. From the comments that were made during the interview it sounded like, barring a complete fuck up on my part, they were ready to hire me at the end of the interview. And then the bomb dropped:

CONFLICT OF INTEREST.

The firm I do part-time work for now defends clients in lawsuits by Client X. Well, turns out, Client X is the NUMBER ONE client of the new firm I was interviewing with. Therefore, it would be unethical of me to work for the new firm, and they actually, because of their ethical duties to Client X, CANNOT hire me.

You should've seen the look on the face of the attorney who would've been my boss when this came out during the interview. His face mirrored the gut-wrenching sadness that was taking place inside my chest. I have had so few interviews in this economic climate. And not only did I feel good about this one, but they actually SAID they were ready to hire me!

The one who would've been my boss came up to me privately afterward and told me he was deeply sorry and that he really liked me, he liked my character and personality, he really wanted me to join the firm, and he was very sad it didn't work out.

I just tried to keep the fake smile plastered to my face so I wouldn't break down right then and there.

It's one thing if you interview and you don't do well or you're not qualified for the position or you're just not the right fit. But this? This is completely disheartening on a whole other level of Are you fucking kidding me!!!! I have been struggling for so long and I cannot believe the rug was pulled out from under me like this.

LIFE, I think you played a really cruel trick on me today.

:sad:

Oh no! That sucks! I'm so sorry this fell through. :sad:

Does that mean you can NEVER work for the company you interviewed with, or that you can't work for them within a certain period of time? (I have no clue how this stuff works)

And don't be embarrassed because you are unemployed right now. A lot of good people are out of work right now. :hug:

God, what a shit turn of luck! Is there a way to keep this new firm on hold until your part time role has finished with Client X? I'm not sure what your legal/otherwise obligations are with conflicts of interest on such a scale. I know in the corporate world it is generally a year, but that is over here, and not in a legal environment.

I really hope something gives for you soon. That's just rotten luck. :(

God, what a shit turn of luck! Is there a way to keep this new firm on hold until your part time role has finished with Client X? I'm not sure what your legal/otherwise obligations are with conflicts of interest on such a scale. I know in the corporate world it is generally a year, but that is over here, and not in a legal environment.

It would obviously depend on your state, but I know that here, your duty of confidentiality survives the client relationship (forever). So there is no time expiry, and I would be really surprised if this were not the case everywhere.

That sucks, I'm sorry. :(

I am at a very large firm, so we use Chinese walls. I am guessing this is a very small firm where it would be impractical to do so.

Ugh! That is terrible luck! But don't worry, I keep hearing that the US economy is on the rebound. I'm sure you'll find something soon! :hug: Just don't stop trying!

That sucks Fitz. I'm sure things will work out soon and you will find yourself some good, comfortable employment. Best of luck.

So sorry to hear this Ethan. :hug:

Could or does the person that would have potentially been your boss have any recommendations or referrals for you?

:hug: That is a horrible twist to deal with. It was obvious they liked you and it sounds like you have an outstanding resume, their loss. It won't be long before someone snatches you up!

Hang in there! We were not meant to carry those loads alone, so let it out to someone, anyone, even us crackheads :hug: Nothing at all to be ashamed of :hug:

I'm really sorry for you, but as you said yourself:

And not only did I feel good about this one, but they actually SAID they were ready to hire me!

The one who would've been my boss came up to me privately afterward and told me he was deeply sorry and that he really liked me, he liked my character and personality, he really wanted me to join the firm, and he was very sad it didn't work out.[QUOTE/]

You know you are capable enough, you don't have to be ashamed to be unemployed, it's not your fault in this economic times. I know it's hard to get a job with this bad economy, but you shouldn't give up!

Good luck!:hug:

Thanks everyone. :) There's no way I'm giving up. Yesterday was just a really hard time. But the world keeps turning and so will I, so onward with the search! :D

I am at a very large firm, so we use Chinese walls. I am guessing this is a very small firm where it would be impractical to do so.

It was actually not a very small firm. Perhaps not as large as the firm you work for, but this firm was nationwide. However, the problem was, the position I was being hired for, I would've definitely had to litigate cases for Client X. There was just no way around that fact. However, had I been interviewing for a different department, I'm sure Chinese walls could've been used to screen me.

:hug:

I'm sorry to hear about this Ethan.

Do you live anywhere near NYC? My mom and sister work for law firms, so maybe I could help you out?

My heart breaks for you, Ethan. :hug:
My son has been looking for work since last November.
He has worked in the same industry for the last 17 years.
It was in one of the area's that has taken so long to bounce back.
He is trying to branch out but they just see his past work and are just not willing to give him a chance. Too much competition with other workers who are out of work.
I feel your pain, along with his.
Good luck and you are in my thoughts. :up:

Aw man, Ethan, that sucks. In fact "that sucks" doesn't even begin to cover it. It may be hard to see it this way, but the fact that someone wanted you is a good sign - it means that someone ELSE out there will probably want you too, it's just a matter of your paths crossing, and soon, right? Hang in there.

And no worries about being embarrassed- I think lots of us have used this place to share things that they may not even be comfortable telling their "real life" friends. :hug:

Oh and SEE YOU SOON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :hyper: Then I can give you a great big hug in person.

I dont see why you should be embarrassed about it really. :shrug:

Draw a positive from this negative: they were 100% going to hire you, the guy liked you enough to come up afterward and say so, which means as far as employability is concerned, you're hot stuff. :wink: If you can make such an impression on someone as that, you should have good luck with any further interviews. :)

I dont see why you should be embarrassed about it really. :shrug:

Draw a positive from this negative: they were 100% going to hire you, the guy liked you enough to come up afterward and say so, which means as far as employability is concerned, you're hot stuff. :wink: If you can make such an impression on someone as that, you should have good luck with any further interviews. :)

This is a really good point!! :up:
Keep that in mind when you go to the next interview. If possible, incorporate it into the conversation/interview.
Couldn't hurt. Good luck!!

However, the problem was, the position I was being hired for, I would've definitely had to litigate cases for Client X. There was just no way around that fact. However, had I been interviewing for a different department, I'm sure Chinese walls could've been used to screen me.

Ah, that sucks.

Can you stay in touch with the lawyers you connected with there? A lot of times they will know somebody else who is looking, and so on. A friend of mine ended up securing a job that way a few months later and things really worked out for her.

Back
Top Bottom