I've been procrastinating with the bills and paper work.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nozomi

The Fly
I pile all new, incoming mail in a box. When the box starts getting full, around the middle of the month--I think to myself "I should take care of that." Unavoidably, there's an interruption--I have a very demanding job, that takes loads and loads of perseverence and patience--After a day or two, I think "I should take care of those bills." After another day, I get a sick, panicky feeling and think "I have to pay the bills, right now!!!" After one more day, (usually the LAST day before my MC is due) I end up doing speedpay and get gacked another 9 dollers. :rolleyes:The utility companies and phone bills do NOT have exorbitent late fees, so those arn't as important--so I tend to pay those "whenever". The mortgage bill is ANOTHER bill that I wait till the last second (the day before, usually) and end up using speedpay and get gacked another 9 dollers. (and btw, if you have don't get an Old Navy/Banana Republic/Gap card, cuz if you're late even once they report it to the credit bureau)
This happens every month--and I keep thinking to myself "I need to get a handle on this." :corn: :banghead: I HAVE bought an expanding file and I have bright pink tabs stating when each bill is due--but I am still struggling with managing this more effectively.
Someone has said that procrastination is a sign of worry :silent: but I'm not really looking for a diagnosis --I mean, I never used to be this way--I used to look forward to paying the bills--it was a very organized, efficient feeling and I enjoyed the sense of accomplishment and feeling of being in control :blahblah: but now it's different--I seem to dread it, and I go online to moniter my checking account but don't balance my checkbook!!!!:macdevil:because we use checkcards--I transfer them from my purse to little plastic baggies and put them in a file :shrug: thankfully, we have a 500 dollar overdraft fee in case we get too close to the line. It's insanity. Insanity is doing the same crazy thing over and over even though you know it's insane.:| This really SHOULD be resolved.
We DO give to charities and church, too! so, it's not that I'm ignoring that aspect of our finances. :hmm: I don't talk about this:silent: with anyone. and darling hubs and I do not DO anything about it, even though we BOTH know there's an issue there.

I switched all my utilities/bills (TV, phone, Internet, gas, electricity, and several web hosting accounts) to online accounts. Instead of paper bills, I get e-mail reminders. All I have to do is go to the website and schedule the payment. Key word is "schedule". You don't even have to pay it right then. Like say I get a reminder on the 14th but the bill isn't due until the 28th and I don't get paid until the 20th, as soon as I get the reminder on the 14th I schedule the payment to be made after I get paid, but before the bill is due. Viola!

I don't balance my checkbook in the checkbook either. I have to many reoccuring scheduled payments that never make it near a checkbook. I keep one on the computer, in Excel. So whenever I pay with a credit card (which is my debit so draws from my only account - checking), I add it to the Excel sheet right away and it is reflected in the balance. Then I don't have to worry about forgetting that I bought something and getting slammed by the charge a week later.

For me, switching everything over to a computerized/online version has worked wonders. If you are on the computer a lot, or prefer to communicate via e-mail, I suggest giving it a try.

I've signed up for the online bill pay as well. I love the schedule payment option. I was horrible about opening bills too. The email reminders are easier for me to deal with.

I've trained my cat to pay all my bills :wink:

I also pay everything online. I don't use the automatic payment option because I like to see if there are any unexpected charges or changes in my bills, but the only thing I still pay with a check is my rent. Depending on what bank you use, you may be able to set up bill payment through them for free.

Thanks for the head's up about the Gap card. I rarely use mine, so I need to make a note to myself to pay the bill during months that I do.

BonosBaby12 said:
I handle my school loan via the internet. Even receive all of the paperwork through e-mail. Find it to be so much more convienent.

Yes, and with some companies, like Citi, if you to ezpay online, you get a discounted interest rate.

I've gone the same route as Lies as well.

In addition to email reminders for payments, on some bills you can schedule autopay - so you don't have to do a monthy task. I tend to reserve this for very small, regular bills so I don't get hit with a big surpise in my account.

nbcrusader said:
I've gone the same route as Lies as well.

In addition to email reminders for payments, on some bills you can schedule autopay - so you don't have to do a monthy task. I tend to reserve this for very small, regular bills so I don't get hit with a big surpise in my account.

Yep. Two of my website hosting packages cost $4.94 per month each, so those get paid via PayPal subscription. The LAST thing I need is to forget to pay for one and have all my data lost/erased.

Also, to help establish credit, we had Phil get a credit card from our bank. He rarely uses the card itself, just for regular things like gas. Then he immediately pays it off online from his checking account, since with the bank all your accounts show up on the same screen and it's so easy to transfer money.

I've done the same type of thing with a savings account. Each paycheck, I login and transfer a little bit into savings before I can even think of a bad way to spend it.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom