It's Terminal

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I know I keep saying this but thank you so much all :hug: Really wish I was able to put into words just how extremely grateful I am for all of your support and kindness.

Today was a bit of a setback for my father. Despite having slept all night he was still very worn out when he awoke. When we visited him this afternoon he had less color to him and was still quite tired. It appears that his oxygen level is going to have to go up a bit higher than where his doctor wishes for it to be at. Until they are able to get him leveled out than he will continue to stay in the hospital.

Once again thank you for everything :hug: It's quite alright for those who are not able to find the right words. Your hugs show just how much you care,thank you :hug:

:hug:

Stay strong, Shannon. We're all here waiting for word and hoping for the best for you and your family :heart:

Wanted to let you all know that my father came home yesterday. He had the option of staying longer but he opted instead to leave. There were some problems with leveling his oxygen out. Eventually the doctor told him to just to choose the level where he feels it helps him the most. So far everything seems to be going ok. He's been resting a lot since he's come home which was to be expected. We are really hoping that everything will level out soon. There is a doctor's visit for a follow up this week so hopefully it will be a good report.

I honestly would not have made it through this past week without everyone's support. Thank you for keeping my spirits bright and being a shoulder to lean on. Will be forever grateful to all of you for everything :hug:

JessicaAnn said:
I am so sorry.

A few months ago I watched a great aunt slowly slip away after bing told by her doctors that "it is just a matter of time."

I urge you to consider hospice, particularly if a family member is not able to be there around the clock to help with medication, feeding, bathing, bathroom needs, etc.

Hospice workers are truly angels and they make the final days of terminal patients so much easier and more comfortable for the patient (and for their family). The hospice my great aunt was in (as are many hospices) was more like a home than a hospital. Family could visit at any time, day or night. We could even stay overnight if needed. It made things so much easier for all of us.

It's something to think about.

I pray for your father to find peace and for you and your family to be comforted in this difficult time.

I'm late coming to this thread, but two things went through my mind when I read your post, BonosBaby.

I just lost my grandfather to cancer, barely two weeks ago now. I can't say I understand exactly what you are going through, as I believe ever situation is unique and everyone feels differently. I do know that it is hard, probably the hardest thing in this world. You and your family are in my thoughts. :hug:

Second, I agree 100% with JessicaAnn about hospice. My grandfather struggled for 6 years with cancer and was in hospice for his final year. His hospice nurses were his angels. He thought the world of them, not to mention how much of a help it was to my grandmother. She herself is in her late 70's and at 4'9, there was no way she could have cared for him herself. And being in hospice doesn't have to mean going to a special home. Most branches have in home care, as well, which is what my grandfather chose. The nurses came to give him IVs, take blood, or do any thing else that made his life comfortable. He passed with everyone he loved by his side.

Once again, my thoughts are with you. :hug:

BonosBaby12 said:
Wanted to let you all know that my father came home yesterday. He had the option of staying longer but he opted instead to leave. There were some problems with leveling his oxygen out. Eventually the doctor told him to just to choose the level where he feels it helps him the most. So far everything seems to be going ok. He's been resting a lot since he's come home which was to be expected. We are really hoping that everything will level out soon. There is a doctor's visit for a follow up this week so hopefully it will be a good report.

Hope your father is as comfortable and at peace as possible honey. :hug:

8-2.gif

Unfortunately I come back with more bad news. For those who are not aware my father was admitted back to the hospital last Thursday. The following day we received a time frame of just how long we are looking it. Doctor said best case scenario is a year but realistically it will be 6 months or less. Has reached the point where his medicine is not working. There are tests that could be performed but they are too much of a risk to my father. We were warned that it could be anything at any given time. Honestly though we never thought it would happen this fast.

As for the exact condition he is suffering from congestive heart failure,pneumonia, and emphysema. Currently he has only 15% usage of his heart at the most. Now today we were told that he's in the beginning stages of kidney failure. There is also the possibility that he suffered a minor stroke. Friday night my oldest sister and her bf got him pretty upset while visiting. Was so bad that the door to the room had to be closed. Why a nurse didn't intervene I have absolutely no idea at all! But the doctor is going to consult a neurologist to see if this is the case. Everyday it becomes harder to understand him when he talks. In fact the symptoms he has now are just like the ones he had with his first stroke in 2000.

Back
Top Bottom