I'm too shy and it's a pain

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I can relate to a lot of what people say. Sometimes situations make me feel ill, If I'm pushed into situations, for example where I have to be outspoken (say in a Uni discussion or something) I just feel so uncomfortable.

I find it really hard to express myself verbally and end up hardly saying anything sometimes because I think that I won't be able to get the words out right.

I'm starting a year work placement on the 19th and I'm hoping I'll be able to build up more confidence. I know I'll be nervous but I think it helps to make yourself do things and just get on with it. Like doing presentations at Uni i think has helped me a lot, I'm less shy of speaking infront of an audience now.

Good luck everyone, I know I'll need it in my new job

:hug: x

arw9797 said:

I get that a lot too. I'm pretty quiet on the first meeting of someone new. Most of the time they think I'm too good to talk to them but the truth is I'm generally too afraid to say anything. I'm starting my new job tomorrow and that's my biggest fear. I'm not afraid of having to learn everything, I'm just afraid I'll have to meet a ton of people and I won't be able to talk to them :sad:

Well I've been there 3 weeks and no one has really talked to me. I have zero work buddies, no one to go to lunch with.... Even the guy that does my training, who is around my age, doesn't talk to me. He just tells me what to do and how to do it but he's very sociable with everyone else. I know it's probably because I'm not chatty with him. I sit by a network printer so everyone is always by my desk. One guy did stop to talk to me and ask me my plans for the holiday weekend and then a few people came over to talk about their plans but that's about it. I hate not being able to talk to anyone. I think my boss thinks that I don't like it there but I'm just too afraid to talk to anyone. The truth is I really like the job but it's hard to be there all day everyday when no one talks to me. I've tried a few times to join in on some conversations but for the most part I go the entire day without talking to anyone but the dude that's training me. :sad: It's frustrating because I don't know what to do about it and I'm too afraid to strike up a conversation with someone I don't know.

arw9797 said:

Well I've been there 3 weeks and no one has really talked to me. I have zero work buddies, no one to go to lunch with.... Even the guy that does my training, who is around my age, doesn't talk to me. He just tells me what to do and how to do it but he's very sociable with everyone else. I know it's probably because I'm not chatty with him. I sit by a network printer so everyone is always by my desk. One guy did stop to talk to me and ask me my plans for the holiday weekend and then a few people came over to talk about their plans but that's about it. I hate not being able to talk to anyone. I think my boss thinks that I don't like it there but I'm just too afraid to talk to anyone. The truth is I really like the job but it's hard to be there all day everyday when no one talks to me. I've tried a few times to join in on some conversations but for the most part I go the entire day without talking to anyone but the dude that's training me. :sad: It's frustrating because I don't know what to do about it and I'm too afraid to strike up a conversation with someone I don't know.

:hug:

I'm sorry to hear that arw but I think you should just do it. Go to someone and strart talking or something, I mean what do you have to loose? You gotta remeber them you're there. Good luck!! :up: :hug:

Back
Top Bottom