I'm supposed to have today off...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

She Is Raging

Refugee
Work just called me and asked if I could work this evening from 3-11.

I worked the day shift friday, and spent most of the weekend at the hospital on call during the night shifts. I didnt end up having to work last night because no kids came through the ER - but I didnt sleep either because I was afraid I'd sleep through the phone if I did.

Now I'm supposed to be off today, but they asked me to come in again. I really really dont want to, I'm drained and feel like crap from changing my shifts already, but there really isnt anything going on that makes me UNABLE to work. I just feel like I get taken advantage of my time becuase I"m so flexible with my work hours that it's expected sometimes.

What would you do? Not to mention that I'm already scheduled to work either 3-11 or 11-11 the next four days. :(

If you are on call, do you receive compensation for that?

If I didn't have anything going on, I'd feel guilty for not going in - as it seems like you are. It's not fair, because you should be able to take your unschedule time off. Why isn't someone else already on call so that things are covered enough that you don' t even get the phone call to come in?
:eyebrow:

You have to take time for yourself. Plus if you're tired you really can't do a very good job, and being a nurse, being alert is REALLY important! I think you should decline and not feel one bit guilty. You aren't doing anyone a favor by wearing yourself too thin.

take the time to care for yourself.
something that had to get kicked into me from time to time when i was working ridiculous shifts doing 911 calls as an EMT was, yes we are the caretakers, but who cares for the caretakers when we're not paying attention? nobody. we have to do it ourselves... and that's harder, sometimes.

you need that time to recharge yourself. burnout is very real and very dangerous, to you as well as your patients. I know the guilt involved, but you have to disengage from it... leave your work stress at work, the time you have to yourself is precious and you need it. we need it for the work we do and the things we see.

don't beat yourself up too much over it -- it's a matter of your quality of life, your own mental well being, your balance of happiness and satisfaction in your work.

remember how important you are, you're worth a day off!!

Thanks wolfden... very well put! And thanks to the others. I did end up not working - I tried my best to put the guilt aside and said I just need a mental health day to get myself back togther (for example - tackle the literal mountain of laundry in my basement, and replace the food in the fridge with food that is actually edible!). I'm already burnt out from that place to begin with!

Sorry, I can't resist...

"I'm not even supposed to be here today!!"

I suggest watching Clerks. At least you don't have to go through the crap Dante does. :) Especially the alternate ending.

Seriously though, I know how bad this sucks. I used to get pulled in on my days off all the time. But now that I'm devoting more of my time to school and all my income is tied to school programs (I'm a Resident Assistant and a Writing Center tutor) it's been much easier. I do feel your pain, though. Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom