I'm scared of thunder

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lilly

Rock n' Roll Doggie FOB
Yah, ok, so mock me if you must...but I live in Minnesota. It gets REALLY hot and humid during the day then explodes at night, which is supposedly on tap for tonight. The thunder is SO loud, it shakes my house and I wake up and have to remind myself that it's just a noise and that the thunder itself cannot hurt me. Yah, I'm a nerd.

------------------
"Why do you have to be such a smart ass?" -my mom

I used to be scared of thunder, too, because I grew up hearing stories of how my mother's house was struck my lightening and burned to the ground when she was a little girl. I also know of a woman (friend of a friend) who has been struck by lightening not once, but *twice* and lives to this day.

Okay, that probably did not make you feel any better, actually...

Heh, then youd love it at my cottage, up on the north eastern part of the Bruce Peninsula... so we have the escarpment of rock, all sorts of cliffs on both sides of Georgian Bay... and the thunder echos, and echos, and echos, and echos
smile.gif
lol

I don't like thunder either. Living here in Dallas (the end of tornado alley) we get our share of severe weather here too. I don't mind thunder, from a typical thunderstorm, but I don't like the really loud crashing thunder, that sets off all the car alarms, and sends you flying out of bed in the middle of the night.

As a matter of fact, I'm off the clock, but still hanging out here at work cause we've had severe thunderstorms for the past hour or so. The sky got pitch black, and there were tornado warnings around the area. The worst of the storms seems to have passed, but it's still pouring rain and thundering. The sky has this neat glow to it too. I don't want to get stuck driving in hail or worse. And, if the computer here at work gets zapped by lightening, it's not mine hehe
icon16.gif

------------------
Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.
-Albert Einstein

I'm scared of storms in general!

------------------

Just as you find me
Always I will be
A little bit too free
With myself

I'm afraid of storms...I'm also afraid of wind.

------------------
"I'm nearly great, but there's something missing..."

I looove thunderstorms. I especially like turning off all the lights, opening the blinds up and watching if it's a particularly big one with lots of lightning.
biggrin.gif

I think it's awesome to be walking outside and hear thunder roll across the sky.

Originally posted by Bonochick:
I'm afraid of storms...I'm also afraid of wind.

Yeah, me too--like I think my house is going to blow down. Maybe it's because when I was little, during a bad storm some windows in a friend's house shattered and I don't think it was from a tree either...

Hehe...I think I'm paranoid!

Oh yes April...I remember that thread now.
wink.gif

------------------

Just as you find me
Always I will be
A little bit too free
With myself

Well I'm home safely now, storms are passed, nothing bad here, but west and south of here there was tornado damage. There was the most magnificent swirling thunderhead anvil in the distance when I left work, the sky was all glowy orange from sunset. You could definitely tell the whole storm was rotating. (How come I never have a camera around when I need one). Quite a lightening show in the distance after the storm had passed too.

I love storms and think storms are cool. When I was a kid, I grew up in the country, and my dad and I would sit on the back porch and watch the storms roll in. For a while I even wanted to become a meteorologist (except I suck at math hehe).

I just don't want to be caught outside without protection in a bad storm or tornado. Although someday I'd like to go storm chasing with the professional storm chasers, and maybe see a tornado (as long as I knew it wasn't coming towards me).

------------------
-Albert Einstein

[This message has been edited by ABEL (edited 04-16-2002).]

I totally feel you ABEL. I saw the bad weather a little while ago and I thought of you. You know what happend to me last week, and even today. I was watching the news and saw the hail damage from today. That is the weather right now. It is just that time of year. Change of season. *sigh* at least we are getting some rain, and down here we need to stock up as much as possible. I am sooooooo not looking forward to the drought stages. I wish I could find a good job in the Bahamas.
frown.gif

Originally posted by ~LadyLemon~:
Yeah, me too--like I think my house is going to blow down.

Wind is so powerful...people forget that sometimes. When I was little, I remember watching the laundry out on the line...when the wind would kick up...I was always afraid the clothes would fly away. I didn't like seeing things so out of control because of the wind. I'm still like that. I was playing with my labs in the backyard today, and the wind kicked up and made my windchime go crazy and get all tangled...it freaked me out, so I had to go inside for a bit.

------------------
"I'm nearly great, but there's something missing..."

I love storms!!! I'm afraid of thunder, but i like it at the same time.
wink.gif

Its esp fun if you have friends or even a boyfriend to share it with!
biggrin.gif

------------------
*Ya Just cant get enough, of that Lovey Dovey stuff...*

" And to think I actually TOUCHED that tight, hard body!" - Miss MacPhisto

Oh, you're not alone. I'm so scared of thunder that a while back when I was in a tent during a thunderstorm I burst into tears and whimpered. I was so scared I wanted to die, literally. Bad enough in a house, so much worse in a tent or otherwise outdoors. In this case, it was almost right overhead so it really was pretty bad, but I probably overreacted as usual.

------------------
Your sun so bright it leaves no shadows, only scars
Carved into stone on the face of earth
The moon is up and over One Tree Hill
We see the sun go down in your eyes

Here are some cool storm pics I found on the net, I didn't take any of them (I do however somewhere, have a pic I took similar to the first photo...I'll have to find it one of these days). But these are some of the reasons why I love storms...

images

mammatus.jpg

r_10261.989457805.jpg

r_10106.989421279.jpg

tornado.jpg

images

------------------
-Albert Einstein

Cool pics Abel.

And I have to agree with Lovey. I do actually like storms esp when they are about to hit and the clouds are all dark and ominous and the wind gets cool. I like getting my freak on when the weather is all dark and bad looking to. Does that make me weird? I mean I know I am weird, but is that a weird thing?

I used to not be scared of thunderstorms at all, until 1999 -- we had days and days of absolutely pouring rain, incredibly loud thunder and TONS of lightning. And worse of all, that was a time where I was alone more during the day and it got so bad for awhile. We didn't have floods or anything, but almost all the trees (and we have a LOT) got all bent and messed up, tons of branches everywhere, and several got knocked over. Not pleasant
frown.gif
I've been really scared of them ever since. And last night was really bad here too -- we're close, state-wise.

------------------
"You must not look down on someone just 'cos they are 14 years old. When I was that age I listened to the music of John Lennon and it changed my way of seeing things, so I'm just glad that 14 year olds are coming to see U2 rather than group X." - Bono, 1988

Originally posted by Diemen:

I think it's awesome to be walking outside and hear thunder roll across the sky.

Provided, of course, that a thunder (i mean lighting) doesn't decide to check you out up close and personal. KA- BOOM right at ya.

Yup, not a thunder lover either. But only if they get really, really close. My heart starts racing and i used to twich every time. Now i only sweat like crazy and think "i hope it stops soon i hope it stops soon i hope it stops soon..."

I do love the air after a good rain. Just loaded with oxygen, and sooo fresh.

[This message has been edited by U2girl (edited 04-17-2002).]

I HATE storms. I was in a building that was hit by a tornado in 1998, and now I just hide under the bed when one comes along.

------------------
She's gonna dream up a world she wants to live in / She's gonna dream out loud.
Visit my web page at www.u2page.com

good thing you weren't here in Dallas yesterday Lilly...you would have freaked! *I* freaked! We had wind, hail, tornadoes, RAIN in buckets and THUNDER and lightning all over the place...and I got caught in it on the way home from work, BLARGH!

Scawwy....

It's ok Lilly, I'm terrified of lightning if I'm outside in a storm. I used to want to be a storm-chaser but then my mom's cousin got struck and that has pretty much cured me.

I'm generally ok indoors but I also hate it at night if you lie still in bed and try to anticipate the flashes, it practically gives me panic attacks so I dive under the covers and turn my headphones up really loud. The live version of ISHFWILF on R&H works really well if you wanna try it
biggrin.gif

so at least you're not alone.

------------------
tomorrow's just an excuse away
so I pull my collar up and face the cold, on my own...

i love thunder its a drummin jam yer know,its keith moon and bonzo given it loads on there kit
smile.gif

------------------
"was she askin for it,was she askin nice ,if she was askin for it,did she ask you twice"

Originally posted by ABEL:
mammatus.jpg

We get these a lot. It means hail. Lots of times the whole world turns this ominous green and then BAM there's a storm. ack.

------------------
"Why do you have to be such a smart ass?" -my mom

don't feel bad, lilly.
i actually love thunderstorms...

...as long as someone is with me. when i'm all by myself they frighten me.

one time we had a tornado watch here and everything and the sky was turning all these scary colours and it was pouring and thundering, i called my mom and started crying cuz i was scared (i was in three hurricanes when i was little so i guess that's why i'm freaked) and had to go next door with my next door neighbours who i despise. blech.

Back
Top Bottom