I'm not changing my name.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

meegannie

Blue Crack Addict
I've ALWAYS hated my last name. It rhymes with bad things, has a curse attatched to it, is constantly mispelled (even thought it's only four letters long and spelled exactly how it sounds), and I just don't like the way it sounds. I'd always planned to change it when I got married, but now that that will probably be happening in five or six months, I've decided not to change my name. There's something I don't like about the whole domesticated, old married couple image and I don't want to get mail addressed to Mrs. Somebody Else or Mrs. Husband's Name :crack:.

Mostly, though, it's because I'm too lazy to deal with the hassle of changing my name in two different countries.

I am in complete support of this! :up:

I have often thought that I might hyphenate my last name when I get married...still think about it.

and how in the HELL do people spell your last name wrong? :der:

I love my last name, its me, its Italian. I am thinking of hyphenating it with daafish's last name, Dole after we're married but I always thought that was like disrespectful or not what you are 'supposed' to do or whatever. :reject:

I work with someone with the same last name as yours and you wouldn't believe all the misspelled variations I see coming through the mail. People especially like to add an 'r' to it.

you aren't related to Andrea a.k. Andy, are you??

i have been divorced for seven years and i still have my ex's last name.

i will never change it, because it's chelsea's last name, too.

plus, i like it :D

I would change my last name if I got married
hell, I would even have a sex change if necessary

When I was in school, people used to say, "Can I have fries that?" or, "Is your Dad's name Ronald?" cuz of my last name, and one of my grade 8 students tried it too!

Okay, I have lots of problem with names

1) I think its UNETHICAL and WRONG for parents to wrongfully insert their name in their child's name.

2) I think its OUTDATED, UNMODERN and SIMPLY BAD to add someone's else name after or before marriage.

3) I think one should not keep SURNAMES or family names.

4) I think RELIGIOUS NAMES should not be kept.

This is my wish list. Name should be just names - cute and simple and should be changed only for non-marriage,non-religious & non-family reasons.

you dont think names define people? more than literally...the things you hate, seem to be the biggest reasons for people doing it.
:shrug:

may be its just me.. i dont like such things..

names that suggest

1) i am XYZ's son or daughter, you know..see my middle name

2) he is my husband..see my name

3) this is the god who did this great thing

4) you have the same surname as me.

i dont think anyone of them is a big deal.. on the contrary they are outdated and conservative

AcrobatMan said:
This is my wish list. Name should be just names - cute and simple and should be changed only for non-marriage,non-religious & non-family reasons.

What would be a reason to change a name?

I like the idea of a family having one name. At least with the OUTDATED practices, you could tell who belonged to which family.

Both my husband and I hypenated our names when we married. Im not that fond of my last name, no one can spell it, even though its a name of a friggin country! But it had been part of my identity for so long I wasnt going to give it up now. But we did want our children to have the same last name as us so we hypenated them into a last name that is way too long for most forms, would rival the length of most of the Indian gods names that a previous person mentioned - but its us.

Besides no one can spell 'Belinda' any way. So it doesnt matter that they cant spell my last name either. I think most people have a name spelling disability. :|

My maiden name is so long and difficult to spell that my parents didn't give me a middle name. When I married I just stuck my new name on the two I already had, the old-fashioned way. I'm glad that I still have it, even if I only use the initial.

my first and last name get butchered on a daily basis, but i will keep my last name if i ever remarry.

Yeah i'm pondering about my last name too. I'm getting married in June and i'm like weeeeeeell I dunno whether or not to use my last name now and just hypen his name or just take his name. :shrug: My mom says I should keep my maiden name so I won't lose touch with my culture :shrug: Ok like changing my name will change the fact that i'm mexican LOL So i'll either be Mrs. Cantu-Sturgess or just Mrs. Sturgess :)

I'm ... so completely indifferent to this, lol. I guess it depends on the person's last name that I'm marrying. I once dated a guy with the last name "Shwenk". I ... would KEEP my maiden name if I'd have married him. I'm just not ... terribly attached to my last name and I really like my boyfriend's last name, Dawson, so I think if we get married (and it's looking like that may happen) I'll probably change it just really for the hell of it. I like changing stuff. Names don't mean that much to me. If I could, I'd change my first name too just for fun. I never thought I was a "Jennifer" anyway. There are WAAAAY too many of us.

I always liked the name Emily, or Grace ... hmmm :hmm: OR I could just change my first name to "Doctor" and save myself years of schooling. :)

I agree that changing your name in two countries, on all your paperwork, etc, would just be a pain...

I'm still like 'you're getting married! :hyper: :D '

nbcrusader said:

What would be a reason to change a name?

if you dont like it, change it.

nbcrusader said:

I like the idea of a family having one name. At least with the OUTDATED practices, you could tell who belonged to which family.

thats exactly the reason. i dont want names to reveal family, which-religion or maritial status. then everyone then would be equal.

I've always adored my last name--kinda rare here, yet common in Slovenia. A lot of people address me by my last name anyway, so I've grown quite attached to it. Besides, it's also the name of an entire set of European languages/peoples so...historical value? My first name too, I enjoy. Although I HATE introducing myself to people. For some reason, they always hear "Jane" or "Gene" instead of "Janine."

my mom didn't change her name

the only thing is, we (me, brother, sister) got hyphenated names

if i wasn't lazy i'd get it changed and get my dad's end of the last name un-hypenated from it...but i've got to notify my school loans and all sorts of stuff. i usually don't even use the other half of it anyway.

Mullen-Girl said:
My mom says I should keep my maiden name so I won't lose touch with my culture :shrug: Ok like changing my name will change the fact that i'm mexican LOL So i'll either be Mrs. Cantu-Sturgess or just Mrs. Sturgess :)

:hmm: I wonder if we are related. On my father's side there are a lot of Cantu's from S. Texas. :hmm:

aren't you from Texas?

anyway, I am keeping my last name. If I am ever fortunate enough to find a man that will marry me, I will take his name, however like most I will not drop my last name. It is unique and has a ton of history behind it. I am proud of my last name. :yes: And will keep my middle name as well. Hell, I think I will just stick with my initials forever: IMS :up:

I'm very attatched to my last name, so i don't know if i would change it if i married. If i happened to marry a guy with a distinctly Irish last name (like my own) I would probably change it.

Back
Top Bottom