I'm not changing my name.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
zoney! said:

and how in the HELL do people spell your last name wrong? :der:

Tuk
Tuc
Duck
Luck
Jude :der::confused:
Turk
Tule
Tuke
Untuck (my favourite! :laugh: )
Tucker (the most common)

....fortunately I haven't gotten the obvious mispelling yet, other than people in school being utter bastards. :mad: Then there are jokes about Kentucky, Friar Tuck (yay me living in Nottingham :rolleyes: ), "Tuck Luck," etc.

"Tuck" would sound stupid hyphenated with just about anything, but with Ruddock, it just sounds ridiculous. :slant: I like the way sounds, actually, but I just don't like the idea of changing my name to my husband's for some reason....it would just feel like I'm being owned or something. Though I wouldn't mind making up a completely random last name.

I guess I'm stuck with Tuck forever. :down:

Last edited by a moderator:
WEll, what a lot of my friends have done is take their maiden name as their middle name, and dropped whatever they had before. This way - if you want to take you husbands name, you dont have to totally give up your maiden one either. I'm getting married in OCtober, and I'm taking my finance's name. I'm going from Irish to Scottish now. If I married someone with a distinctively different ethnicity of my own, I would likely hang on to/hyphenate my name so that could hang on to my heritage in a sense. BTW - I have no qualms about trading my name in.

Yeah, I definitely have an ethical qualm against changing my name and I don't like the idea of being an extension of some guy. But that's just me. So if/when I ever do get married I will probably hang on to my impossible to pronounce last name, hyphenate it or just leave it as is.

Oddly enough, here in Mali, where women's rights are pretty much in the dark ages (when men get tired of you they just get a second wife!), everyone keeps their own last name, men or woman.

The_Sweetest_Thing said:
A lot of people address me by my last name anyway, so I've grown quite attached to it.
I get that a lot
my friends just yell my last name 80% of the time

I always start spelling my name immediately after I've said it

This is kinda random but I always said I would keep my last name if I married someone with a last name later in the alphabet than me. My last name is fairly common, it begins with an R. Also, I am a teacher and it's always wierd when teachers change thier name. I don't know...I'm not a fan of the hyphen....we'll see if I ever get married....

Back
Top Bottom