I'm hooked on soap operas

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

namkcuR

ONE love, blood, life
I took the 05-06 school-year off(I got a two-year degree last year and will likely start a four-year program in the fall), and as such, I've had a LOT of free time. Over the course of that free time, I've become hooked on two soap operas - ABC's 'All My Children' and 'One Life To Live'.

My mother has watched them since the late 1970s. When I was in Kindergarden, I was in the AM class and would get home at noon, and these programs began at one. Mom would watch, and I'd watch too if I was in the room. As I got older and the school days got longer, I couldn't really watch them on a regular basis. I'd catch the end of the second one(OLTL) if I got home in time, and if I had days off school, I'd catch both of them sometimes. When I started college in 2003, my hours got much different. I'd be done with school by 1PM some days, 2PM on others, some days I wouldn't even have classes. With mom watching, I started getting into them on a semi-regular basis again. After I got my two-year degree last June and decided to take a year off, I started watching both AMC and OLTL every day during the summer(when I wasn't on vacation or out). I've watched them every day since last June. I'm hooked. It's gotten to the point where I'm going out of town the day after tomorrow for a week and I'm actually planning on setting my DVR to record both programs every day while I'm gone.

This is not normal is it? For a 21-year-old GUY to be hooked on soap operas?

:reject:

I was an only kid at home for several years until Doozer came along...I grew up watching As The World Turns and General Hospital back in the days when Tommy Lee Jones first started acting...ATWT with Meg Ryan...(mom watched, we had one TV, I had to watch!)

I now watch All My Children and One Life to Live...I have no problems confessing this one...:no:

I watch OLTL, daily... Counting down the days till someone saves Todd from the execution :shifty: And will this Jessica/Tess storyline ever end? Will it :mad: :wink:

oh, and I work from home, so I time my lunch accordingly. The TiVo records it, and then we (hubby & I) can watch between 1-2 still and forward thru the commercials. :shifty:

melon said:
It's normal. A lot of men just won't admit it.

I agree

Unless it's seriously interfering with your life in some way, there's no problem. There are far worse things to be hooked on. People watch soaps because they're so unlike everyday real life, it's an escape. But they also deal with issues that people do have to deal with and social issues.

I used to watch them religiously in hs and college, now I tape/watch All My Children when I can. I have a huge thing for Aiden Turner, he just got married :( And I love Sonny on GH

BonosBaby12 said:
I still watch the Young and the Restless it's really heated up right now

Oh yes they are!!! Neil just found out about Drew and Malcolm sleeping together. He still doesn't know about Lily being Malcolm's daughter and not his. :ohmy:
Sharon is going to try to seduce Brad away from Victoria now that her and Nick are seperating since he was having an affair with Phyllis. She is such a slut. :tsk:
Gloria is getting her way with having Jack removed from power at Chancellor Industries. She's dragging Michael and Kevin back into their old ways by sneaking around and helping her. She is such a sleezy, power hungry gold digger with big eyes.:shifty:
Victor has returned to his old ways and taken back control of his company. His kids and wife on the other hand don't like it and are going to try to take the company back from him for good. No family loyalties. :shame:
Colleen is trying to break up her dad's wedding to Victoria. Her soon to be step mom shacked up with Colleen's ex-boyfriend, J.T. for a one night stand during a "break" between Victoria and Colleen's dad, Brad. Colleen is still in love with J.T. Move on, he banged your future step mom. :huh:

I guess that would be your Y&R update. :lol:

My husband use to watch Y&R back when Shelia was in love with Scott. She did the baby switch with Loren and all that other good stuff. Shelia is so evil!! :evil:
I hope she comes back again to cause some more trouble.

I still watch GH too, have been since the late 70's. My mom got me hooked on soaps when I was a young lass. Faked being sick so I could watch my all time faves, Luke and Laura get married. I love that GH is bringing back some of the old characters from the golden days. So nice to see Robin & Robert Scorpio, Holly Sutton, Dr. Noah Drake and now Anna Devane back in Port Charles. Now if only Laura would return, I would be so happy. :happy:
I'm so sick of Sonny and Emily. :sick: I wish they would take a flying leap out of soap opera world and not return.

mdw3935 said:

I still watch GH too, have been since the late 70's. My mom got me hooked on soaps when I was a young lass. Faked being sick so I could watch my all time faves, Luke and Laura get married. I love that GH is bringing back some of the old characters from the golden days. So nice to see Robin & Robert Scorpio, Holly Sutton, Dr. Noah Drake and now Anna Devane back in Port Charles. Now if only Laura would return, I would be so happy. :happy: ..............

I used to be addicted to GH when I was in high school/college - during the Luke & Laura era. A lot of people were - it's all that was going on in the dorms at 3:00 pm everyday. I knew people that would set their class schedules to be free to watch it in the afternoon.

Guys watched it too. My (then) boyfriend would come over to watch it with me. namcuR, don't worry, it won't be a permanent thing. And if it is, at least it's better than game shows. :wink:

mdw3935 said:

Oh yes they are!!! Neil just found out about Drew and Malcolm sleeping together. He still doesn't know about Lily being Malcolm's daughter and not his. :ohmy:
Sharon is going to try to seduce Brad away from Victoria now that her and Nick are seperating since he was having an affair with Phyllis. She is such a slut. :tsk:
Gloria is getting her way with having Jack removed from power at Chancellor Industries. She's dragging Michael and Kevin back into their old ways by sneaking around and helping her. She is such a sleezy, power hungry gold digger with big eyes.:shifty:
Victor has returned to his old ways and taken back control of his company. His kids and wife on the other hand don't like it and are going to try to take the company back from him for good. No family loyalties. :shame:
Colleen is trying to break up her dad's wedding to Victoria. Her soon to be step mom shacked up with Colleen's ex-boyfriend, J.T. for a one night stand during a "break" between Victoria and Colleen's dad, Brad. Colleen is still in love with J.T. Move on, he banged your future step mom. :huh:

I guess that would be your Y&R update. :lol:

My hero! :love: Wow you summed it all up very well! :lol: I remember the good old days when pscyho Shelia was on there. So refreshing that Y&R has now gotten back to their roots of good old drama :giggle:

Yesterday I was home sick and tuned into Days of our Lives. Normally I only watch soap operas to make fun of the god-awful dialogue and how all the characters lives seem to revolve around their romances. But I was actually getting really into the plot. :ohmy: :reject:

They're insipid, but unfortunately they have such interesting plots! (ie: the hurricane in Llanview right now on OLTL) Like a train wreck, I too, am addicted to finding out if Todd will ever get off death row, or when will that Tessica storyline'll end! Funness!

Also, I watch AMC as well, but I used to watch Days of Our Lives and Sunset Beach (when it used to be on before it got canceled. T_T).

My boyfriend is hooked on the Filipino soaps. He'd kill me if he knew I just told all of you! :lol: I don't speak Filipino but I can tell you that soaps are the same in any language! You could turn the sound off and still know what was going on no matter what country they originated from!

SunBloc said:

I used to be addicted to GH when I was in high school/college - during the Luke & Laura era. A lot of people were - it's all that was going on in the dorms at 3:00 pm everyday. I knew people that would set their class schedules to be free to watch it in the afternoon.

Guys watched it too. My (then) boyfriend would come over to watch it with me. namcuR, don't worry, it won't be a permanent thing. And if it is, at least it's better than game shows. :wink:

Yep those were the best years GH had. I miss those days. I remember when Richard Simmons use to be on there. He was the aerobics instructor on there, big surprise.

Now I tivo the show and watch when I can. I really on takes me a few mins. to watch a whole show. I hit the FF button now so much because there are only a couple of storylines now that I'm interested in. The writers are so horrilbe on that show. :angry:
They have written that show into the ground and now are trying to revive it by bringing back some old much loved characters. I'm just afraid of what the writers are going to do to these much loved people. They have ruined so many characters on that show now. :tsk:

I still watch though, because of Luke. :love:

GH is my favorite soap of all time, but Y&R is the best one on t.v. The writers there are so much better over there. They have great storylines and they keep all the great veteran characters there.

I used to be hooked on soap operas. But since I have a full time job I can't watch them. I try to catch up on all the gossip in the soap opera world though.

Guess who's dating this week?

Hunter Tylo and Lorenzo Lamas. :huh:

These two are from the Bold and the Beautiful.

i am working my way through all the dark shadows box sets !

i also watch passions every once in a while on sci fi... it is pretty funny so far :p

Back
Top Bottom