I'm going to get flamed but this pisses me off

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
S

*Stormy*

I have noticed a trend lately, and I find it disturbing. People from all over the world are moving, not just traveling for a visit, but moving, to Dublin to 'live and work' and I wonder, would Dublin be their choice of a wonderful place to live and work with excellent job opportunities if it were NOT the home of the band known as U2?

I do not believe for a moment that that is not the reason. There are obsessed fans who want to stalk the band- oh not in a dangerous way I don't think, but to hang around outside their homes and studios, staring, gawking, waiting like vultures for the band to come out, so they can get a thrill and come back here and post the story and have everyone congratulate them, thus giving them attention and fame.

DISCLAIMER: I am NOT repeat NOT talking about fans who travel there on vacation, or hunt the band down during a tour- I would do that myself. We all would. I am very happy for any fan who meets them by chance on a short trip to Dublin. I hope that will happen to me one day. Yes, I am jealous, but I can be happy for them too.

BUT- not the ones who have 'moved' there. I won't be so arrogant to say my comments surely apply to all of them, but certainly most of them. No, I do not believe they would have chosen Dublin as a destination, ditched their entire lives, family, friends, pets, boyfriends, if it were not for the excellent opportunities to chase down U2. Now they will make it a point to hang around outside the studio with dreams of not just meeting the band but becoming best buddies and hanging out on a regular basis! Each time to come back here and post it and get 55 replies of 'eeek oh goody so-no-so you are like soooooo lucky!' Maybe about the 15th time this person reports, you will grow weary of the courteous congratulations and become as annoyed as I am now.

It really is a shame for the band. They have said that they appreciate that they are left alone in Dublin, and that is one of the reasons, besides that it's their home, that they stay. What a pity that U2, in their own hometown where they have felt comfortable and safe, will now have to deal with an onslaught of stalkers from all over the world hanging around. Of course they always have fans around, fans who come and go, not ones who move in and do it repeatedly.

I do hope that just as U2 became fed up with seeing the same faces in the front row of concerts, they will also become fed up with the same faces hanging around their studio, home, and the Clarence, and run them off. OR do these people believe they will all become welcome buddies of the band? I'm sure they're glad to meet fans, but repeat visits will I'm sure wear thin with the band, like any other guest who wouldn't leave.

Sadly, this is likely going to cause U2 to tighten their security, making it more difficult for all fans, including me and most of you, to get near them if and when we do ever travel to Dublin. That is if they haven't moved to Timbuktu by then to achieve the peace and safety and 'good life' they once had in Dublin.

Go ahead, flame me and tell me what a jealous bitch I am and how I only feel this way because I don't have the money or the freedom to do this. Well you know what? I WOULDN'T do this! Yes I'd love to meet the band and hang with them awhile, but I would never uproot my life to move there and follow them around. I have too much pride and would not want to annoy them, invade their much treasured laid-back privacy, or get to the point where I would wear out my welcome and get my feelings hurt when they started to avoid or reject me, which will certainly happen to those who become too familiar. This will only bring tighter security upon us all, and that will suck for those who only get one chance to meet them.

One last question- for those of you who honestly believe they are going there because Dublin is such a wonderful city and they would've gone if not for U2- why are they there, outside the studio, the pubs, the Clarence, the homes, the cars, if that is not what they are after?

Originally posted by *Stormy*:
this is likely going to cause U2 to tighten their security
good

------------------
Salome
Shake it, shake it, shake it

Oh Stormy.... Yknow some things are just better not to post about.

To each his own.. I mean, if they can do it, let them!

------------------
Sexy poshin' sugar snarlin' rock and roll ...

My Lair

You think too much! Get out and smell the flowers!
wink.gif

------------------
"It's Evolution Baby!"

stormy what makes you so certain that it is mbi16's intention to stalk the band?

i was almost there this summer and U2's presence was the least of my motivations.

Kobyashi- that's you, not her.

Sicy- I'm sorry, I should've known better, but I believe everything I posted and surely someone will see the truth in it. There are a lot of good points in there.

[This message has been edited by *Stormy* (edited 05-01-2002).]

Originally posted by *Stormy*:
Kobyashi- that's you, not her.

OK. but why?
you can't just say that about someone, i'm sorry. you said her post 'rubbed' you 'the wrong way', well neither is that enough.

right now you're claim that she is going there to stock the band is, as far as i can tell, baseless to everyone but you.

Stormy, I understand most of what you're saying, but what rubs me the wrong way is that you claim to know Marina's motivations for going to Dublin. You don't even know her!

------------------
The whole wide world feels like a shrine to the worker bees, who stole it from God anyhow.
Lay it down, child
Lay it down, child
And walk into this room all made with love for you...

And in the end, the love you take is equal to the love you make.

Stormy, Stormy, Stormy... you really like causing a stir don't you....

I really don't think that you should let everyone else's actions bother you so much.... Just live your life, and let other's live their's.... If you don't like their thread's then don't read them.....

------------------
***Spinny***
"I don't know about you, but I feel good about the fact that I still haven't found what I'm looking for"-Bono, 1987

"Be uncool, yes be akward!"

wow

you're absolutely! With so many new resident aliens Dublin is gonna quickly sink Atlantis-style. We should all go warn U2, but that would only add to the progression!
wink.gif

Originally posted by wannabe:
wow

you're absolutely! With so many new resident aliens Dublin is gonna quickly sink Atlantis-style. We should all go warn U2, but that would only add to the progression!
wink.gif

LMFAO!!!

RUN FOR YOUR LIFE DUBLINERS!!! U2 FANS ARE TAKING OVER!!! RUN AWAY! RUN AWAY!

wow

wink.gif

Bwahahahaha!!! I'm on my way, boys!
tongue.gif

*grabs a canoe and oar*

Originally posted by Hallelujah Here She Comes:
Bwahahahaha!!! I'm on my way, boys!
tongue.gif

*grabs a canoe and oar*

hey! we're both from chi-town. let's share a canoe and save cash!! look out u2 we're after you!!! muwahahahaha!!!

Originally posted by LarryMullen's_POPAngel:
I'd be worried if I gave as much thought as to what others are doing with their lives as you do.

There's really no place for name calling or making inappropriate judgements on others on this board. Can't we all just be happy for those who are going to make a new life for themselves?

Exactly.

With so many new resident aliens

ALIENS?!?!?!?!

*hears the X-Files theme playing in the background*
biggrin.gif

------------------
The whole wide world feels like a shrine to the worker bees, who stole it from God anyhow.
Lay it down, child
Lay it down, child
And walk into this room all made with love for you...

And in the end, the love you take is equal to the love you make.

Originally posted by Screaming Flower:
hey! we're both from chi-town. let's share a canoe and save cash!! look out u2 we're after you!!! muwahahahaha!!!

LMAO!!! You bring the canoe, the oar and the rations. I'll bring enough U2 cds to sink the boat. Let's meet you at the Washington Street Bridge! We can take off from there!
tongue.gif

Originally posted by Hallelujah Here She Comes:
LMAO!!! You bring the canoe, the oar and the rations. I'll bring enough U2 cds to sink the boat. Let's meet you at the Washington Street Bridge! We can take off from there!
tongue.gif

perfect!! i'll be there will bells on.

"We cannot see others as they are.
We see them as we are."
~Talmud

Live and let live. Sweep in front of your own front door and allow others to do the same for theirs.

Originally posted by HelloAngel:
"We cannot see others as they are.
We see them as we are."
~Talmud

Live and let live. Sweep in front of your own front door and allow others to do the same for theirs.

So true!!
wink.gif

Stormy, you really need to let something go. I mean you nearly wrote a whol essay on how people live their lives! If they want to move to Ireland so be it! They have their resons, it's pretty silly to judge and generalize everyone who moves to Ireland from this baord.. "A U2 obsessed fan" you seemed more obsessed w/ U2 than those people!
icon24.gif
Now, that is scary! But then again *looks at Stormy's status* your living up to it!
wink.gif

Originally posted by DoTheEvolution:
But then again *looks at Stormy's status* your living up to it!
wink.gif

Indeed. Why do you think she has it.

First, i don't know if you're talking about a person from this forum or not. (it doesn't matter anyway)

The thing is, whoever decides to move to Dublin for whatever reason, has a right to do so. Most likely U2 is not necessarily the main reason. (especially if they're not fans - and i don't think every single person who moves to Dublin is, right?)
And i doubt that they would have nothing better to do than spend their time there by chasing the band the whole time. Sure, if you're there and have the opportunity, you try to check out the studio or the Clarence or whatever. You know, give it a try.
But what are the odds of meeting anyone from the band anyway? Even if you do, they probably won't have much more time than a quick "hi", maybe a photo or an autograph.

No need to worry about stalkers. I'm sure that fans have no way of getting into their homes, which is probably most important. Besides, i bet it's not easy for them to walk around in Dublin (at least since JT days) as it is already.

Sorry to post again. I am just very angry. Stormy, your whining and complaining has gone overboard. Whenever you start up one of your thread's "I have nothing in common with anyone" I am always one of the first people to try to reassure you, and make you feel welcome. No, I don't necesarily agree with everyone here's life decision's, but I would never, and I mean NEVER say anything about them. Everyone is entitled to make their own choices without fear that they will offend some woman who has nothing better to do then whine and complain all day long.

Stormy if you hate everything, and everyone here so much then why the hell do you keep coming back?

------------------
***Spinny***
"I don't know about you, but I feel good about the fact that I still haven't found what I'm looking for"-Bono, 1987

"Be uncool, yes be akward!"

All I will say is that I have discussed this privately with people who have no connection to this board, and they have said what is 'scary' is the fact that people would move from all over the world to 'make a new life for themselves' in a place because a rock band lives there. They also agreed that the constant hounding of the band will only cause them to tighten their security and/or move, and that is sad. The people told me the things I speculated on were 'common sense' and blurted them out before I ever even finished. It's nice to talk to someone who has no emotional attachment to the board or any of its posters. Now I know I'm not the crazy one.

Oh and that comment about 'we see them as we are' does not apply to me, because I was judging on what I knew of the way this goes and NOT me, I am not putting something off on someone else because that's what I would do. Just the opposite- I would NOT do it. I would not set myself up to become a nusiance and force them to avoid me. I really do feel sorry for U2, honestly I do, because I know how much they valued their peace and privacy and ability to live freely in Dublin the way other stars can't in other places, and I hope that isn't spoiled for them.

Shit...I just want to move to London! Again, Stormy, you really seem to enjoy stirring things up around here. I was quite shocked when I learned that you weren't a teenager, because you certainly present yourself as one.

*typing on laptop as I sit outside Bono's gates*

Moving to Dublin to stalk U2...that's absurd...

Okay, on a serious level...

I don't want to live in Dublin someday, but I want to visit there. I didn't want to until I became a U2 fan, but the reason I want to see Dublin is not to meet U2...it's because when I became a U2 fan, I began to learn more about Ireland. It looks absolutely beautiful, and it would be the thrill of a lifetime to visit. If there are people who have the ability to move there, good for them.

I think you will find most (if not all) of the U2 fans who are moving to Dublin are not doing it to stalk U2 or anything like that. I think that U2 just was the spark that started their love of Ireland.

Stormy...you always seem to act like everybody here is against you. With threads like this...are you starting to see why it might seem that way?

------------------
"Frisbetarians believe that when they die their soul goes up on the roof, and they can't get it down."

Bonochick's Place

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom