I'm easily irritated by sounds

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I know how you feel. They dont necessarily bug me too much, but loud arsed cars do. Its not necessary to rev it so in a residential area.
Especially at 2am.

:sigh:

I'm the same way...I get SO annoyed if I hear certain things, especially late at night. One of my kitchen cupboards make a weird groaning sound when you open it and if one of my kids keeps opening and closing it while they look for a midnight snack, it takes everything I have not to go insane on them :rant: :yell:

I also hate eating sounds. I can't sit next to someone in quiet room while they eat, I have to turn on a radio or the TV. And then there was a commercial a few months back that had a dog licking peanut butter from a spoon..endlessly. That one almost drove me to the booby hatch :crazy: :mad:

i get annoyed when I hear sounds coming from my neighbors apartments...footsteps, music, loud talking, slamming doors, especially late at nite when it's quiet and i'm trying to sleep :huh:

Oh my god I was ready to kill someone the other nite. A car alarm was going off at 1:30 am right outside my freaking window and it went off every ten minutes for 2 hours!!! :yell: I was literally in tears I was so pissed off :lol: I put ear plugs in and one pillow over each ear and I could still hear it :scream: :rant:

AArgh! Loud motorcycles (Don't even get me starte don harley's--and if anyone out there is a Harley owner, sorry but your bikes drive most of the non-Harley-owning population NUTS!). And when the squirrels go nuts early in the morning and run rampant all over my house--they have a party almost every morning when the sun comes up, and, as my bedroom is sorta ON part of the roof and under another part of it, I get to hear it all.

Have you ever had one of those days where you're very, especially, particularly attuned to any noise at all and feel like you're just gonna LOSE IT if yo hear one more thing--like your nerves are shot? Is this just a girl thing? Or do guys do this too? (I personally think it's just a girl thing b/c we're harwired to hear/do more than one thing at a time).

Oh, and I forgot the single most annoying sound to me: babies crying, especially older kids (like 4 or 5) pitching big loud fits in stores.

Oh, and thumpy radios in stores--I've been known to walk all the way across Target just to turn the F***ing radio down in the electronics dept.

geez, I sound like a cranky old lady!

loud noises make me jump...i think loud noises started bothering me back when i was in high school and almost hit by lightening :shrug:

enggirl said:
Oh, and I forgot the single most annoying sound to me: babies crying, especially older kids (like 4 or 5) pitching big loud fits in stores.

Crying babies don't bother me but when a kid between the ages of 3 and 6 starts in with the whiny, fake, "I'm gonna do this till I get my way" attention getting cry, I seriously want to throw something at their mother or father.

Nothing is as irritating as being in a store and seeing a totally obvlivious parent happily shopping while their brat screams and cries in the shopping cart. Kids act like that when they're hungry, tired or bored out of their skulls and I've never been able to understand why these people don't simply take the kid home, feed him/her, let them take a nap and go back when the kid is in a better mood. Or, if that is how the kids ALWAYS acts in public, they need to leave them at home.

There were 3 crying kids in Target yesterday and everyone around them was :crack: :crazy:

BAW, I love the lyrics in your signature! Oasis, right? :happy:

Just so i'm a little bit on topic...screaming kids in shopping malls really bug me. Especially when the parent is just ignoring the kid and walking around the store as though it doesn't matter that their kid is obviously upset and is bothering everyone around them. :mad:

Especially when the parent is just ignoring the kid and walking around the store as though it doesn't matter that their kid is obviously upset and is bothering everyone around them.

I hate that too :mad:

People smacking thier lips when they eat.

Or, when they come to my store (I work at a food court) with their mouths completely full of food, and they try to order more, but thier food absorbe the sound waves, and I can't hear them.

so disgusting.

i'm quite a bitch with all that....esp right after work, or if i'm stressed or have a headache. I mean, it literally takes all I have not to flip out on everyone and everything around me :( :crack: I feel terrible about it....the dog is quite possibly the worst though, with the high pitched loud, incessant barking (spurred on by my borther), lil sis playing the piano, mom banging pots around in the kitchen and my dad hammering stuff in the basement. AGGHH!!

Bono's American Wife said:
I also hate eating sounds. I can't sit next to someone in quiet room while they eat, I have to turn on a radio or the TV.

OMG BAW!!!:shocked: I am EXACTLY the same way! Nothing in the world drives me more crazy than eating and swallowing sounds. Not even smacking, just the sound of food being eaten, noises that wouldn't bother most people drive me nuts!

My husband swallows REALLY loudly I think. We sit there every morning and it's really quiet while we read the paper, and there he is munching his cereal, and then he takes forever drinking his juice and I am sitting there every morning with steam coming out of my ears. My dad used to eat really loudly too and it would drive me insane every day of my life when I lived at home.

The other sound that drives me nuts is people clearing their throats with their voices "ahmmm hmmm hmm" all the time, and yawning with "whhhahahawhhwahhw hmmm"...you know?

And babies and whiny toddlers make me want to
:scream:

loud sounds bug me. like, people talking a lot louder than they need to. also, i hate when music, movies, and such are a lot louder than they need to. i bought ear plugs so that if i'm annoyed now i can just put them in and hopefully i won't be as bothered.

i also don't like babies crying, or people chewing too loudly. also, i don't like when people smack their lips whilst eating or drinking.

I don't mind loud sounds. What I really can't stand is soft, repetitive sounds that go one forever when I'm trying to sleep. Case in point - my bedroom is next to the laundry and the water heater has been dripping all night, every night for the past month. And there's nothing that can be done about it! I have had to sleep in the spare room because it keeps me up all night otherwise! :mad:

Also, when my dog is asleep, she makes this smacking sound with her mouth and tongue. It absolutely unnerves me.

My dad is bad for eating loudly. He chews ice cream, and you can hear his teeth click together. Same with bananas.

its both sounds and lights that i can't stand when im trying to sleep. my room is right next to the kitchen and i only have a cloth partition seperating the kitchen and my room, so you can imagine lots of noise coming from the kitchen if someone decided to go into the kitchen for a midnight snack:|

Sounds suck

Eh, I hate all of the afore mentioned sounds so I'm not gonna repeat them. Oi I do really really hate kids screeching... especially since working in a mall :crazy: Some people said they hate footsteps. Eh, I actually love the sound of slow footsteps on wooden planks or in an empty building :reject:

Last edited:
I hate when someone's bass on their stereo is turned all the way up so you can just hear the endless thumping noise. :crack::mad:

And when music or a tv are so loud that you can hear it another room, but not loud enough that you can tell what it is so you just hear a muffled "blahblahblah." :mad:

I also hate it when people put away dishes/pots and pans loudly. :down:

Kids screaming is my biggest one. And it happens all the time at work. When your kid is trying as hard as he can to lose his voice and you just ignore him so you can continue shopping, I get the urge to find you, bitch you out in front of the entire store, and smack you upside the head with a parenting book. Come to think of it, I also hate the sound of a parent yelling abusively at a kid that's only mildly whining or misbehaving. There seems to be a certain demographic more prone to this, but dammit it pisses me off to hear a mom say "you'd better shut your whiny ass up before I whoop you right here in front of everybody." :mad:

Oh, I also hate the sound of the phone ringing early in the morning. getting phone calls in the morning while I'm still in bed, and my friend asks if I was still in bed, I say yes groggily, and they proceed to try and have a 15 minute conversation with me while I'm obviously half-awake and want to get back to sleep. Call me back later, dammit!! :angry: (sorry for the tangent...)

i hate it when my family members turn the tv on so loud that you would swear that they had a hearing problem or something, esp in the morning when I'm trying to sleep. I hate it when people chew gum with their mouths open, i think it's more the way it looks than the sound. Chew with your mouth closed, you look like a friggin cow!!!! Any noises when I'm trying to sleep friggen drive me up the wall, every little sound seems amplified. I hate it when people let their kids cry and cry in the store, you kid obviously needs a nap, you are being cruel to your child and annoying as fuck to everyone around you. At a store where i used to work someone did this and another customer got confrontational with them and they started yelling at them. I was afraid that it was going to get physical, which would have sucked since our store had no security. It would have been kind of fun to watch that bad parent get smacked though :lol:

Back
Top Bottom