I'm dating my ex's best friend...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MirrorballLemon

The Fly
So here's the lowdown on this story that even the Fox network couldn't come up with....

Last winter I met this really great girl at school. we became really good friends, which was awesome. At the time she was going through alot and didnt want a relationship, but she really led me on into thinking she did. Everytime I'd get my hopes up I'd get screwed over and things would fall through. We still remained friends, and I didnt give up hope that one day we would be together. Eventually, I began to loose intrest, and of course, she decided we should date. So we got together, but by this time it was summer and I was home from school, so we were in a long distance relationship, which really sucked, not to mention my interest in her wasn't really there anymore becuase I was tired of the cat and mouse game she was playing. We each traveled to visit each other a couple of times throughout the summer, and the times we had were good. When she came to visit me we hung out with my friends and when I visited her we hung out with her friends. Her two best friends (both girls), were really nice people, funloving and pleasant to be around. Towards the end of the summer, as I was preparing to return to school, I was more miserable with her than ever, we were always bickering about stupid shit, and i was contemplating a breakup. The day before I was to return to school, we got into an argument over trust (which she had betrayed me over something pretty serious), and brokeup. However, we decided that we could still remain friends and if things got better maybe we could try again. By the end of my first week back at school, her best friend (bf A) revealed to me that she had a summer long crush on me. Now, I didn't want to betray my ex, but I am also the kind of person who will give anyone a chance, and if things work out, then great. So i began to see bfA, with my ex's knowledge. she wasnt happy, but she wasnt overly mad either...yet. Eventually, things became somewhat serious with bfA and I, and my ex was furious. she cut off all ties with me and made bfA choose between me or her. bfA choose to save her friendship with my ex, and we "broke up" (we weren't dating, but for lack of a better term...) I totally understood the situtation, and I didn't really fight it. I felt bad for doing this to my ex, but the way i see it is it's my life and I'm free to do what I want with it. So right after bfA and i split, my ex's other best friend tells me she has a crush on me too! OY!!!! now what do i do? do I learn from past experience and say "sorry, we cant do this" or do i give her a chance too? Well, since I'm an idiot, I chose to give her a chance. And both my ex and bfA were absolutely furious, and all hell broke loose. The typical high school drama that accompanies breakups was in full force x1000. (we're all in college, and we're all adults) rumors, lies, all sorts of good stuff... anyways, after a few rough patches, bfB is now my gf, and we're both extremely happy. But the thing is i really do have a guilty conscience about all this....i feel like such a low life for doing that to my ex. I was never out to hurt my ex or anything, I was never out to get even with her, it's just that they're 3 really great girls who I click really well with in 3 different ways...and they happen to be best friends. On the other hand, i don't think what im doing is totally wrong. i didnt cheat on her with them, we were done, over, and i moved on. so needless to say im totally conflicted...

any advice would be appreciated, good or bad, im open to criticism....which i know there will be plenty :|

isn't bf2 gonna get an ultimatum from the ex as well?

seems like you're gonna re-live the same relationship again.

I say find another group unless there is something special about this girl that you can't stay away from.

Good luck

this is hmmm... interesting.
well, true it is a difficult situation.

if you didn't cheat on anyone they can't blame you. I hope there was some time between you started dating her friends.

in break-ups people get hurt no matter how, and when you start dating a friend then i can understand that they are really hurt.
When people move on it hurts as well...

You moved on with your life.
I don't know..., if you are happy then that's ok.

My ex boyfriend told me, past is past... it hurts but it's true.

I wish i could move on with my life the way you did.

Hope your relationship will be very nice and hope the other girls will get over it.

I didn't give much of advice, did I... sorry

it was a bad idea from the start and then after knowing that you did it again with a different friend. :tsk:

i have just two words for you.....common sense.

thats the thing, it was all literally right after the other. like literally days between breakups and the best friends telling me they like me...thats not to say i didnt like them at first, but with time i started to...

thanks for the support...you'll find someone special too!

i don't mean to be mean or anything but the shitstorm that this type of things can cause between friends can last long after you're no longer in any of their lives. i know cause i lived it and 2 and a bit years later it's still going on.

Hi,
I have experience here. But I would be probably in the situation of your girlfriend here. My girlfriend and I broke up, and like 1-2 months later, my best friend/roommate decided to take her on a date. I said that if he did this, there's just no way I could be his roommate...so he cooled it down, for a month or so and then actually went right on like nothing happened before. He started sleeping with her in our room/using my bed to "watch movies" etc. So, I moved out of his room and moved upstairs with some other friends(there were six of us in the entire house).

You know what, I can sit here and honestly say I don't miss that girl at all and he can have her. But I can't tell you my friend and I have ever gotten along well again. There's just something that hurts about the situation. I guess I see this situation as hurtful and harmful to everyone involved and just another added stress on your life. But, do what u gotta do I guess.

Phil

thanks phil,

i understand where you're coming from, believe me i do. when i started actually dating the second best friend (that sounds so dirty), i told her that she was in control and that i would really embrace any decisions she makes in regards to her, me, and my ex. I didn't want it affecting their relationship, which i knew it would considering the experience with the first best friend. I know its hurtful, and i can't even begin to imagine what my ex feels like because of all this. At the same time though, I keep telling myself have to do what makes me happy, my gf has to do what makes her happy, even if its at the expense of someone else. I also have always thought that if my ex's best friends were ballsy enough to go after me, then they should be prepared to accept the consequences that come with them, as should I....

Back
Top Bottom