im an intolerant brat and

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BabyGrace

Refugee
i cant stand people who think I'm silly and sappy and corny and oh grrr

is there anything wrong with being oh i dunno, i guess you could say 'in touch with your emotions'? am I wrong for saying what I feel? I am so sick of living in a world where everyone says the exact opposite of what they feel and believe in their hearts (oh shame, I mentioned the word 'heart'!) just to fit some ridiculous standard of what we're supposed to be like.
or maybe i am just silly.

I need to get out of this town.....

Honesty is awesome. There actually are people who appreciate it, even though it doesn't always seem that way. Tactlessness isn't so good and I don't think it should be confused with honesty. But I don't think that's what you're talking about.

Go on saying what you feel and don't hide your true self (now I'm starting to sound a bit corny
biggrin.gif
) because like I said, there are those people who will appreciate it and they are probably the ones that matter.

By the way, for whatever reason, I sympathize with you about "I need to get out of this town!" I have felt that way many a time.

------------------
One day we'd reach the great ocean
At the end of a pale afternoon
And we'd lay down our heads just like we were sleeping
And be towed by the drag of the moon

-Sting

I say what I feel all the time!

hee hee.

I think the reason people dont want to say what they feel most of the time is because they are worried about what other people are going to think and say about them.. judge them on their honesty. Even though I do tend to worrry about those things at times, it doesnt stop me from saying what's on my mind. Hmmm.. maybe its not always good, I dont know.

tongue.gif

Yeah scattero, I think tactlessness is what made me so angry last night. I have no problems if people don?t like how I am as a person but cant they keep it to themselves and realize that different things are valuable to different people?? I don?t dislike this person and I recognize that we are looking at the same things and just seeing them differently but she sees that as a reason to have something come between our friendship

Sicy, the thing is, I didn?t specifically say anything that even remotely insulted the person, nor did I say anything that even related to her. She just told me, and these were her exact words: ?you?re so corny it bugs me?. Thanks for telling me exactly what I did to insult you or hurt you. This is coming from a person who claims not only to be my friend but also to be ?very liberal and open-minded? while at the same time becoming angry at me and telling me Im close-minded because Im a Christian
confused.gif

(and I believe, as I have said elsewhere, that all religions go back to one God and no one religion is ?wrong? its just a matter of personal preference, and ive told her that but she wont hear it? but that?s not the point, this is just one example of the way she thinks.) and then she has the nerve to tell me that im all sappy just because I say exactly how I feel about things, but other than that she cant find one hard piece of evidence as to why she doesn?t like me as a person.

Sorry, im really pissed off because everywhere I look, people are just deciding to be quiet about things that matter to them just because it?s not accepted to talk about it.
Im just so sick of twisted social standards that tell you how to behave that I think I need to go vomit

Wanderer, I don?t know if you meant writing my post from a guy?s point of view but if you did, I agree. There is a disgusting double standard. I really shouldn?t be complaining
frown.gif

-----
these days it's easier to talk about penis rings at the dinner table than it is to talk about grace. It's like "eeeuurgh, dont go there!" or something along those lines
biggrin.gif

~by a very wise man named Bono

I can relate to the frustration you're feeling. I've been pretty sappy my whole life, and it's almost always at times when I am trying my best to share my feelings with someone. When they roll their eyes or something like that, it's like a slap in the face. I just want to say something like "don't you ever feel trapped by the bubble of hipness/conformity that you keep around yourself?" Robots really is a good comparison.

I was always happy to go to art class in high school, not just because I like art, but because there was a guy in there who felt the same way. I didn't really know him that well outside of class, but he was so refreshing. He was a very sensitive and emotional guy. I could relate to him in a way that I couldn't with almost anyone else.

Truth is the important thing. It's frustrating when the way you express that truth is ridiculed by people who sacrifice their own beliefs just to be accepted by others. I think it's usually a status thing, and it makes me sick.

People will ridicule it I think for 2 reasons, either they are stupid and dont understand it, or because they feel uncomfortable with it. Dont get me wrong babyG, Im not saying you make anyone feel uncomfortable. But my point is, its up to them to learn how to deal with it. You are not alone in your ability to use feeling to express yourself, those that mock or ridicule will have to eventually deal with it. I know its easy for me to sit here and say they are the ones who need to do some changing, cos not only does that not help you right now, but its also easier said than done-to just brush it off.

BabyG, if you saw this in someone else, would you recommend they try and change themselves? I dont think so. Dont change you to fit everyone else, sometimes people have to adapt to fit you, the real you, be good to you and stay honest with who you really are.

see you people understand!! I think it's honestly where I live (and also the fact that Im in high school where this whole stupid status thing reigns supreme)

it's not that nobody out there feels this way, its just that no one will say it. and the few I've found that aren't afraid are my closest friends. but that leaves me wondering, since all people ARE different and have different ways of dealing with things, isnt it my fault for not accepting the way they choose to 'hide' their emotions? i am hurt by the things they say but in truth, i probably do scare them, either that or they think im slightly psycho (which is partly true anyway
biggrin.gif
)
basically i need self esteem and that is my biggest confession to date, honestly, I have none and it is probably where all my silly problems are coming from.

btw, travu2, i can totally understand what you said...sometimes I feel most comfortable in my art class. these are all kids going into serious art schools and theyre incredibly talented but there's something more. I think, because they draw so much from their souls for their work, their emotions lie close to the surface and they dont try and hide them. and they're not afraid of being ridiculed for their actions whatsoever..it's funny, i think they're the most secure kids I know.

I still really wanna go to college tho. and i really wanna meet all of you.

Well GAO to your friend I say GAO!!

What kind of friend is that that wont tell you why she feels that way? There is nothing wrong with sappy. I mean, who wants to hang around a hard ass stick in the mud all the time?

Feel better.

It's a high school thing.... There's a reason that "Acrobat" was my favorite song during my senior year in high school.
smile.gif

Things will change when you get to college... You'll meet more (intelligent) people with common interests, and they'll in turn (even if indirectly) will make you feel more comfortable in your own skin, simply because you won't feel like you're the only one who acts in such-and-such manner. Just ride it out until it gets better.
smile.gif

"Don't let the bastards grind you down..."

I don't know why you say such things, BabyGrace, when you're one of the sweetest there is, judging from your posts. You're someone who is constantly trying to improve yourself and stopping to check yourself, setting new standards for yourself (um, this sentence is so repetitive, yuks). Hope things are much better now.

Originally posted by SicilianGoddess:
I say what I feel all the time!

hee hee.

I think the reason people dont want to say what they feel most of the time is because they are worried about what other people are going to think and say about them.. judge them on their honesty. Even though I do tend to worrry about those things at times, it doesnt stop me from saying what's on my mind. Hmmm.. maybe its not always good, I dont know.

tongue.gif

I agree! I tend to say what I feel all the time. I hate hiding my true feeling to please others, although in many cases I tend to hold back because I don't want to hurt people but at the same time I need to be honest. But I'm the type of person that if someone says something to me, I just can't keep quiet and let it pass... I used to be the way and I hated it because people tend to do it all the time and I just didn't say anything. But now when someone says something just flat out stupid or uncall for, I respond. Although, I tend to do it in a sophisticated way most of the time. hehehe. I don't just go off on people and threaten them yah know? I always tend to respond maybe that's not good, but I hate hiding how I feel. Plus I'm so emotional, I think its good to let your feeling out.

------------------
Love, slowly stripped away
Love has seen its better day...

(??.?(?*?.? ?.?*?)?.??)
?.???. *Monica*.???.?
(?.??(?.??* *??.?)??.)

[This message has been edited by SweetOnU2 (edited 12-10-2001).]

thanks fors, they are a lot better. i didnt mean that as harshly as it sounds.
when theres a misunderstanding though, there's always two people involved. she cant see things my way but obviously im not really seeing things her way either.

anyway, I apologized to her for getting so worked up, she didnt apologize, but things are fine now anyway. i just know not to share things with her that are close to my heart, that's all
smile.gif

Back
Top Bottom