I'm an Inspector Guardian!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
@VP
Yeah, I agree with your opinion there at the end. (I'm hearing those terms - consistency and stability coming up in regards to personality in my COMN class, so it's interesting to see them used the same way coming from a psych person. It makes sense)

I went over the Kersey Temperment sorter again, and I don't really like that test, because (at least what was online and free there), choosing between two ideas, in a "one or the other" situation.

We all love labelling things don’t we?

In my opinion human nature and indeed the personalities of individual people and how they react to any given situation are too volatile, varied and disparate to neatly confine within a preconceived set of notions that with the passing of time will seem ridiculous and of course antiquated.

I understand that this is just another field in which try and gain further understanding of people themselves but it’s just too cynical a ploy at least to my mind.

Although I don’t doubt that there’s not exactly a lack of fellow sceptics here in league with myself.
:wink:

Also it has to said that in this style of survey (a fairly gentle choice of words there) people tend to construct their answers around what they already perceive their personality to be, a completely natural thing to do that inherently nullifies the point of such things in the first place.

:sexywink:

Yes scepticism is appropriate when dealing with such surveys, although a good survey in conjunction with aptitude testing can be useful in choosing a career.

Yes but we all have our minds and to a certain extent know them more than anyone else could hope to do and at that if we need encouragement and guidance from a piece of paper telling us who we are, we’ve definitely done something wrong.

As you can probably tell I’m going to be very hard to budge on this but there is only one word that can describe me in a holistic sense.

Contrary.

Last edited:
ZeroDude said:

Also it has to said that in this style of survey (a fairly gentle choice of words there) people tend to construct their answers around what they already perceive their personality to be, a completely natural thing to do that inherently nullifies the point of such things in the first place.

Like Redkat said, good psychological tests go through rigorous, peer-reviewed checks for levels of validity and reliability before they are used. And like her, I can't recall offhand the exact numbers for this particular test, but they're easy enough to look up.

That said, there are some tests that are inherently biased, and any good researcher/psychomotrist is aware of these biases. This doesn't completely invalidate the tests, however. We can still get worthwhile information from them, it's just that the biases should be kept in mind when interpreting.

I'm glad you brought up the fact that people can select answers in certain ways in order for their results to make them appear in a specific light. Some tests have built-in checks in order to let the person interpreting the results know that this is occurring, and that the person is not giving honest answers.

That’s fair enough although I have to say that I am fervently set against such testing from own experiences with them.

Although I do think that we can agree that the bias shown throughout the tests themselves will in some cases come under scrutiny from another bias conveyed by those who handle the interpretation of such surveys, i.e. those who took part and those who compile the data.

All in all though I’ll stop before I start to ramble as I’m happy that I’ve made a useful contribution to this discussion.

ZeroDude said:

Contrary.

I think ZD is an INTP :)
I've kind of had that in mind for a long time now. But we've maintained a decent relationship regardless, even as our pesonalities have began to settle in deeper.

For Honor said:

I think ZD is an INTP :)
I've kind of had that in mind for a long time now. But we've maintained a decent relationship regardless, even as our pesonalities have began to settle in deeper.

It's alright I love you man. :wink:

As for being an INTP (Introverted Intuitive Thinking Perceiving), I have to respectfully disagree with that analysis due to my blatant disregard for logic and my rather flat feet. ;)

I don't know. Maybe.
If you've never submited yourself to a test, then I guess you'll never know.

IN dealing with some INTPs in the past, though, i've just had similar sort of interactions, though, I will say I generally get along better with you than those past experiences. So maybe you really aren't

This is all speculative, of course.

For Honor said:
I don't know. Maybe.
If you've never submited yourself to a test, then I guess you'll never know.

IN dealing with some INTPs in the past, though, i've just had similar sort of interactions, though, I will say I generally get along better with you than those past experiences. So maybe you really aren't

This is all speculative, of course.

Of course it's speculative, that’s all that we have, guess work, assumptions, “facts” devised from one insular viewpoint without the opportunity to even have a detached subjectivity let alone actual objective thought that isn’t applied to an accepted and commonly occurring situation.

Let’s all be people, no matter how intriguing or indeed entertaining we may find labelling each other to be.

(What am I now?)

You sound exactly like some INTPs I know.

You've actually furthered it, considering that post.

They always seem to get upset when I talk about things in regards to "personality types" and catagorizing things in such a regard.

But that's just my own past experience.

ZeroDude said:
We all love labelling things don’t we?

In my opinion human nature and indeed the personalities of individual people and how they react to any given situation are too volatile, varied and disparate to neatly confine within a preconceived set of notions that with the passing of time will seem ridiculous and of course antiquated.

I understand that this is just another field in which try and gain further understanding of people themselves but it’s just too cynical a ploy at least to my mind.

Although I don’t doubt that there’s not exactly a lack of fellow sceptics here in league with myself.

I completely agree. I only started the thread b/c I was interested in what fellow Interferencers scored. I don't think a test like Myers-Briggs should ever be used in making big decisions. If you don't already know this kind of stuff about yourself, you've got larger issues if you've got to take a test to find out. I think it's more helpful in showing alternative ways of looking at things or understanding things. For example, I'm in a four person group in my organizational psych class and we are all ISTJ/ESTJ. Knowing this helps us see where we could get stuck in the future. The professor (a psychologist and successful business consultant) said he had a very similar group in the past who paid such close attention to detail in certain areas, they completely missed part of one assignment. It doesn't really tell me anything explicit about the personalities of my peers or myself.

The Myers-Briggs types aren't very good ways of labelling people because the label doesn't indicate which temperment traits are more heavily weighted. For example, I'm ISTJ, but sit right on the fence between I and E. According to the tests, I'm 47% extroverted. However, when it comes to distinguishing between thinking and feeling, I'm almost exclusively a "T". I took another similar test for a class which also said I am 48% extroverted, but said I am 97% conscienstious (well-organized and reliable vs. disorganized and not dependable). So based on the more specific results of these test and how I personally feel about myself, I would describe myself as responsible, self-motivated, organized, and dependable. Whether or not I'm introverted or extroverted is not significant and doesn't really effect my performance one way or the other, even though I'm labelled ISTJ.

Lastly, I agree with your last point about people answering based on their anticipation of how that answer will effect the results. When I take these tests, it's very easy for me to guess which answer goes to which personality trait. It's also very easy for me to see how the questions are continuously reframed and reworded to trick you into giving an honest or consistent answer. Sometimes I wonder if certain personality traits are more likely to take the tests with this in mind than others....

I am an INTP through and through, and I have taken multiple versions of this test, always to reveal the same thing.

Back
Top Bottom