I'm..... addicted... I admit it, okay? I'm sorry, but I am

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

For Honor

Rock n' Roll Doggie VIP PASS
....... Look, this is going to sound weird, but just bear with me.

I've gone head over heels about something before, but never like this. It's like being drunk on love or something...

Let's get to the point-

I love the song
"Pride (In the name of Love)"

Sometimes it's really bad. Sometimes I just sit there with me head next to the stereo, or in the headphones, and just keep playing it over and over again. It's really pretty bad.

I remember, a year ago or so, when I was absouluty fed up with it- it always sounded different or wrong. But..... since then.... it's been.......

I've been in la la land everytime I hear just a split second of it. Or if it's on the radio, I hear it and I jump (almost literally). Or especially if I'm not expecting it, and I hear that first stroke of the guitar.... it's like..... like a lightbulb going on.

And I've gone online and ofund PDAjukebox and this one site with a great live clip from the elavation tour in Italy.....

*sigh*

Long story short, (almost), I'm infatuated and totally floored. I hope it's not unhealthy. But I've sort of made a vow as to that I would always like the song, but I never thought it would be like this.

I say I love it, but I don't know if it's loving in an unhealthy way- too much love. But that almost sounds like an oxymoron or a paradox or something.

I guess I'm just addicted.....

I should stop here so I don't keep writing- althoug I could write forever about it.... oh boy...... I really should stop here. I hope I do...... maybe if i distract myself by putting on PRIDE..........

it's just the music
the guitar, the drums
the bass
and the voice
and the lyrics

oh boy.

maybe I should marry the song, eh?

.......hmm........

(please, don't ask me what I like about it or how often I listen to it, because I would sort of just keep writing, and everyday I would just write more and more.....)

okay.

I'm going to use my will power and stop writing now.

Thanks for reading- I appreciate it. See you around.

"one more, ....."

For Honor said:
....... Look, this is going to sound weird, but just bear with me.

I've gone head over heels about something before, but never like this. It's like being drunk on love or something...

Let's get to the point-

I love the song
"Pride (In the name of Love)"

Sometimes it's really bad. Sometimes I just sit there with me head next to the stereo, or in the headphones, and just keep playing it over and over again. It's really pretty bad.

I remember, a year ago or so, when I was absouluty fed up with it- it always sounded different or wrong. But..... since then.... it's been.......

I've been in la la land everytime I hear just a split second of it. Or if it's on the radio, I hear it and I jump (almost literally). Or especially if I'm not expecting it, and I hear that first stroke of the guitar.... it's like..... like a lightbulb going on.

And I've gone online and ofund PDAjukebox and this one site with a great live clip from the elavation tour in Italy.....

*sigh*

Long story short, (almost), I'm infatuated and totally floored. I hope it's not unhealthy. But I've sort of made a vow as to that I would always like the song, but I never thought it would be like this.

I say I love it, but I don't know if it's loving in an unhealthy way- too much love. But that almost sounds like an oxymoron or a paradox or something.

I guess I'm just addicted.....

I should stop here so I don't keep writing- althoug I could write forever about it.... oh boy...... I really should stop here. I hope I do...... maybe if i distract myself by putting on PRIDE..........

it's just the music
the guitar, the drums
the bass
and the voice
and the lyrics

oh boy.

maybe I should marry the song, eh?

.......hmm........

(please, don't ask me what I like about it or how often I listen to it, because I would sort of just keep writing, and everyday I would just write more and more.....)

okay.

I'm going to use my will power and stop writing now.

Thanks for reading- I appreciate it. See you around.

"one more, ....."

This is going to be obvious, for obvious reasons, but i have listened to 'Night and day', probably over 3,000 times, in the last 5 years. I know its not a u2 song.. but it is. I have it on every burned cd, sometimes 2-3 times, once as the first song, in the middle and at the end. I pair it with either 'Deep in the heart' or 'Mysterious Ways'. I sometimes listen to it 5-15x in a row. I dont know of any other 'U2' song ive listened to as much.It just makes me happy, makes me think about passion, and desire and wanting. And endless, wonderful endless love.

i'm kinda this way with with or without you. i didn't really like the song until i heard it on the radio one day and really listened and appreciated the emotion in his singing.

I've been that way with "With or without you", too.
I'll have to cjeck out those other songs, I still don't know all of U2's works.

I think it's healthy to be infatuated about SOME things, and if it's a song, (as long as it doesn't depress you or anything like that), then it's fair game.

Especially if it makes you feel good, positive.

With or Without you is one of my favorite songs to sing, because it is really god at reaching to the core. It's sad, but it's a love song just the same, and I think everyone has been in a position like that.

I like to sing the "Rattle and Hum" DVD version over the top of the JT version, because that way there are sort like countermelodies-

"my hands are tied; my body bruised... she got me with--"

JT is more flat and even paced,
but in the R&H DVD, Bono arcs his voice more,

and it sounds cool when the two different versions are layerd, and then they meet again in unity at
"-- nothing to win, and, nothing left to loose......"

-=-=-=-=-=

as far as PRIDE goes..... it's so hard to sing, because I love how Bono does it. And I'm pretty new to actually singing and throwing my voice, but yesterday I had a breakthrough and I actually sung it fairly close to Bono's. My problem was that I was holding back too much, and for that song

it's unchained power. Maybe just for me, but, espcially towards the end, it's just like there is no barrier between the words, or the sound of the voice, and the emotion and all that comes with it.

It's just so pure

and that's why I love it so much.

*Holds hand out* Hey, join the club. I've been the exact same way-I've done a thing before where, when I'd make mix CDs, I'd put a particular U2 song on practically every single one, just 'cause I was so addicted to that song that I just wanted to hear it over and over and over again. And there was a time earlier this year where all I wanted to do was listen to Achtung Baby. There's certain CDs/songs, both U2 related and non U2 related, that I've played god knows how many times.

So you are definitely not alone :hug: :).

Angela

Well, that's a good thing :)

The thing about PRIDE, though, is that I've liked it for such a long time, and I liked it before I knew what it was...

I don't know why, but that's the best way I can explain it- liking it before I knew what it was. Some sort of intuition or something.

And throughout my "courtship" of the song, there was only on hicth a long time ago, but it's been love throughout. I sort of hope I can find like find a person I am that way about.

this will sound odd, but being infatuated with PRIDE taught me a lot about love. (by no means am I comparing a song, a cd, something like that, to an actual human being) but more so the process and the sort of dealing with something on a consistant basis and things like that.

Wow, but if I ever find a girl who makes me feel like PRIDE does......

:yes: :love: :heart: :hyper: :hug:

that will be the day, heh :)

That happened to me with "Dirty Day". I used to obsessively listen to that song maybe six times in a row. It's not the only song I've developed a hopeless addiction to, but it was my most intense song addiction ever. I'll never forget that. I thought I was losing it and such, it was a strange experience.

Mullen4Prez said:
Its ok i am here for you

Thanks, man. I appreciate that.

Moonlit_Angel said:

:yes:. I've said it before and I'll say it again, that's the cool thing about this place-people will completely understand things like this.

By the way, I heard "Pride" on the radio tonight, and your post popped into my mind :).

Angela

Well, I guess that's a good thing.

You know, I've been in/was/(still am?) in a little bit of a funk- the holidays and all that (bizaro)...

And it was one of those things where I couldn't even enjoy listening to PRIDE, it was that funky and odd. So my ability to enjoy and even the desire to sort of sing to PRIDE is sort of like a barometer for me. Hahaha.

I finally felt good enough to play it and listen to it recently, but it's still a little odd.

(See: **)

Yes, it is good to have a forum where people can understand each other. (writting this after wrote the rest of the post, I realized that I sort of really over did it, and I don't expect anyone to neccesarily comprehend what I wrote.... heh... :eyebrow: ).

I'm glad my post came to mind, Angela. I just hope not so in a bad way- I wouldn't want to taint PRIDE. Heheheh. (PS: as people will see, I sort of can get overboard about it, so I hope it doesn't ruin the song for anyone...)

Well, thanks to all the people writing in this forum.
I'm sure I'll keep making randome comments about PRIDE and other things, so, I appreciate you posting here and what not.

See you.

=--=-=-=
PS: after having stopped writing, I felt it's fair to post a warning- I get really carried away and sort of write an aweful lot. Read with caution...
=--=-=-=

**It's so strange, though, becaue I never thought of PRIDE as a love song. I mean, even though just about every other word in the chorus is Love, it never really hit me until recently, a little over a few months ago. I always knew something grand was there, but I never made connection. I just thought it was sort of about being able to stick up and "fight" for what you belive in. (Fight in " " for obvious reasons, the song's about MLK and JC). But like I said before, I'm not overtly religious, so I never really thought of it in a religious sense, just a human ...... well, like the core part of being human, what makes us special- the ability to stand up against the odds and such.

And whenever I used to play it, I would just get that tingle up my spine and I'd get a sense of motivation and just being uplifting.

However, a few months ago, a time came when I understood it was more about simply being a martyr. It was about doing things for love, or maybe "for honor". And it took on this different level, in addition to the other ones, as my understanding of things came to be. Basically, when you do something for love or through love, even if it's irrational, like putting yourself out on the line, it's a very true and sincere action, and those kinds of things are spectacular. Somehow, the song allowed me to appreciate many things in the world, even simple things like a guy going to work to support his family, or even someone going off to war because they feel deep down inside it's right for them.

So many things are driven by fear and insecurity, which, yes, do play a part in doing things for love, but when it really is about love and not something else, then it's sort of different. Special, I guess.

In a way, PRIDE has allowed me to see a lot of things I never thought of. Even though it sounds far fetched or "romantic", dare I say, I sort of believe what I said here.

So when I think
"One more, in the name of love"

I just think of all the things all the people all over the world do each day, and the sort of grandness that is that. Even if it's the struggle to survive, it's almost an act of love for yourself, or even more so if your trying to do things for your family, etc. It's rather primal, in some lights..... but..... isn't it also natural and pure? It just is.

"What more, ....."
That's sort of a different level, as to where you are really sacrificing something. JC is obvious here. But when you give it all, and put everything into something, then it's something special. Because when you do that, it really doesn't matter what the outcome is, it's the sheer effort and drive that you make that explodes out. WHen you give your heart, it earns respect, and when people are willing to do something with such conviction, it can bend other people, it can warp them.

"PRIDE"..... the name, the word. Sort of, I can see both the negative and positive connotations, such as arrogance and confidence, respectively. But PRIDE, in the song, I guess it's sort of "the good pride".

"They took your life, the could not take your pride..."
I think, for me, it's just about the heart. Maybe bravery. Maybe heroism. I can't really say...... I don't know how to explain it, but there's something there.

And then the last two choruses.....
If you saw/have the U2Go Home DVD, check out the making of the Unforgetable Fire documentary. I really liked it, esp. (of course) about the making of PRIDE. Even when they were in the studio, just when Larry began on the drums, and the scratching of Edge's guitar..... I would love to have a track of just that. When it builds up, the scratching, and the the roll, it's like the ultimate prelude, and before you know it, your in the midst of the song.

I like how Bono said he'd have the track 30 mins. if he could. The producer was like "The only advice I have is that your a little more restrained for the first chorus", because he was screaming, basically. For some reason, that just clicks with me. And I remember how they were saying the track was bringing something out in his voice- true, I've never heard anything like it, not just Bono's voice, but the song itself. ("nobody like you....").

And it's funny that Bono wanted to slow down the tempo. I often hear them live and sometimes (rattle and hum) the speed is so fast, like, if I was the drummer, I'd have a hard time keeping it slow.

There something about the pitch and trancendence of Edge's guitar that sticks out. I don't know what it is. And all the well placed overdubs of the transition, they work very well.

I used to be extremely upset about how the song ened, because it sort of just like quickly faded out. But really, I think of it more like a fire, (Unforgetable Fire, really.....), and it just starts, but it never ends. Really, i don't think the song can end, because in a way it's about never ending love. If you want to relate that to God, sure, and maybe that's why there is something so special about the song. I like how it begins, as before, and now, at least, I can respect the endind. I used to just want to hear the last roll, and that would be it (I'm talking about the studio recording). But I understand why it's sort of more fitting to leave the ending just sort of left out. I don't really think there is an ending.

It sort of just picks up and starts over, or not even. It just is a cycle. Because after all the verses are sung, and all the chords are played, something is still there. I think that :something" is the raw emotion or what have you, or just the intention or force, whatever it may be. What's there is what is conveyed beyond the words, through the music., and maybe even beyond the music.

wow, that was a lot. Sorry... I was..... feeding my addiction.... :)
I am sort of thinking about deleting some stuff, but well, it's my thread, so, if need be, it can just be closed I guess. I.... got a bit carried away.... heh...:

Back
Top Bottom