I'm a very bad U2 fan...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Bono's example was the reason I went to Africa a year ago. If nothing else, he's changed my life so completely in ways no other person has. So I'm only one of six billion, but it's more 'something' than 'nothing'.

BTW I don't think you're a bad fan for your post. I don't think as U2 fans we're obligated to get behind everything Bono does. Some of us do, some of us don't. I don't think "fandom" should be judged by how much or little we defend Bono.

VertigoGal said:

Maybe you're right...I could be underestimating the pressure he's put on leaders as far as debt relief. I don't know whether that aid package was already planned. I just can't see the gov't parting with 40bil solely due to a rockstar.

I know this is an older issue, but when Pres. Bush first even mentioned "AIDS" and "Africa" in his State of the Union, I remember my Politics of AIDS in Africa professor, who knows a great deal more about these issues than myself or anyone else here, say she knew for a fact the only reason Bush brought that up in his speech was because of the letter Bono wrote (to the Washington Post?) the day before.

JCOSTER said:
I think we are missing something here; He is the only one who has come to help these dying nations.

Not even close.

I don't mind if Bono is person of the year. It doesn't really mean anything to me either way.

I'm really impressed by the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation. They have done remarkable work and donated huge sums of money for a lot of issues which have fallen off the radar. AIDS in Africa is the big deal, but they singlehandedly provide something like 90% of all of the world's funding towards eradicating polio and their contributions to the Malaria Fund have been exceptional. Both of those are issues which are not "sexy" as Bono would say, but these two people have stuck with them for years, and they are truly to be commended for it.

Bono's example was the reason I went to Africa a year ago. If nothing else, he's changed my life so completely in ways no other person has. So I'm only one of six billion, but it's more 'something' than 'nothing'.

That's amazing what you were able to do. I hope to do something similar when I'm a little older, whether through the peace corps or something similar. Not necessarily because of Bono although I have thought about those issues more since becoming a fan of U2's music.

I know this is an older issue, but when Pres. Bush first even mentioned "AIDS" and "Africa" in his State of the Union, I remember my Politics of AIDS in Africa professor, who knows a great deal more about these issues than myself or anyone else here, say she knew for a fact the only reason Bush brought that up in his speech was because of the letter Bono wrote (to the Washington Post?) the day before.

That's actually pretty amazing.

VertigoGal said:

That's amazing what you were able to do. I hope to do something similar when I'm a little older, whether through the peace corps or something similar. Not necessarily because of Bono although I have thought about those issues more since becoming a fan of U2's music.

It's really an experience and I would go if you ever have the opportunity! I understand the things Bono says 10 times better, even though I thought I had it all figured out before I went. I realized that even though I'd taken all those classes on economics and AIDS in Africa...I had been thinking about it all wrong. It's hard to explain. Going there is such a challenge and I have more questions than answers now, but it gives you a new and more complete perspective.

I'm the first to admit it probably wouldn't be half as into social justice and Africa as I am now if I'd never became a U2 fan. Disturbing, but it just proves that Bono DOES make a difference. If not for him, I wouldn't be involved and my family wouldn't be involved either (I've slowly rubbed off on them).

I don't think you should feel guilty about not being totally obsessed with Bono and everything he does. I've read enough of your posts to think you're impressively politically minded and knowledgable about global issues compared to most people your age.

I'll bet Adam, Larry, and The Edge will give Bono shit for this the rest of their collective lives. :D

thanks for the encouragement livluv...It seems like an incredibly fulfilling experience and fulfillment is something I'm pretty much lacking as a bored high school student living in Suburbia. Also thank you for the compliment. :hug:

tre, i am not in denial. i'm not! :angry:

:wink: :hug:

wow I'm a smiley addict :crack:

Back
Top Bottom