I'll confess it openly: I hate halloween

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LemonMelon

More 5G Than Man
I hate halloween. It's nothing more than satanic worship from witches around the world, and freeloading kids trying to steal your sweets. Plus, sometimes people try to scare you, and I don't like being scared. :madspit:

There were kids trotting up my road just a few minutes ago already starting the madness. :| :help: It isn't enough to mooch one night, you need two, or, God forbid, three. :coocoo:

I'm 14 and I think this. :|

lol, you can always give them crap sweets, or just anything really crap. they'll learn to never come back. :D

either that or a booby trap. the old "egg from the attic window whilst all the lights are off so it looks like it came from next door" is a good-un. :sexywink: happened to me and my friends once too. :lol:

i always get these grand plans to dress up and actually go trick or treating, but i end up sitting at home, being bitter. and not opening the door. :shifty:

it hink as you get to my age, (16 lol) you start to not like these sort of things as much, im like that with Christmas and birthdays, as a kid you where like "YAY!! its halloween!!" now youre like "meh, its halloween" :wink:

These are good ideas! :drool: :lol:

Maybe I'll give them a Bible. Then, if they say something stupid like: "I can't eat this!" I can say,

"It wouldn't kill you to miss a meal, kid." or "candy rots your mind. Eat your TV."
Or maybe the ever popular, "everything you know is wrong". :lol:

I can't wait for trick-or-treaters. It's our first year in this house, so we're not sure what kind of a turnout we'll have. We bought full-sized Twix bars...we want to be known as one of the good houses!

As for people who don't like trick-or-treaters...don't be mean to them. Just turn your porch light off so that they don't come looking for candy. They are just out, wanting to have fun. I know there are some real brats out there...but there are a lot of sweethearts too. Playing a prank or being smartass with them is a bit cruel.

Bonochick said:
I can't wait for trick-or-treaters. It's our first year in this house, so we're not sure what kind of a turnout we'll have. We bought full-sized Twix bars...we want to be known as one of the good houses!

As for people who don't like trick-or-treaters...don't be mean to them. Just turn your porch light off so that they don't come looking for candy. They are just out, wanting to have fun. I know there are some real brats out there...but there are a lot of sweethearts too. Playing a prank or being smartass with them is a bit cruel.

Yeah, I'd never be mean to them. We always take off the porchlight. :|

I don't like halloween much, but I love the time because on television they play scary movies more often :up:
as shitastic as they are, it's still entertaining.

but what I dislike alot is when people leave a tray of candy outside their door with a sign saying "Please take one", but there's kids that take the whole lot and sometimes even take the tray. greedy little munchkins :angry:

All Hallows Eve

I suppose it is rather warped that a religious day has become associated with costumes and such/

However, I'm all for it. It's one of the last real holidays in the US. I hope it doesn't get knocked off for "not being PC" or whatever. Halloween is for the kids, and for fun. BUt anything can be hijacked...

that's just my opinion.

PS:

...and I'm 18.

PPS: I think everyone will like it once I start throwing candy at them from my "candy toy-bag", which I carry over my shoulder, with Santa Cap and all. I like to be "santa", because... I like winter a lot... and .... it gives me an excuse to be "generous"....

(I don't really throw candy at people...... but maybe I'll work the door at h'ween this year...... so who knows.........)

" :macdevil: "

I LOVE Halloween and Im 26! lol. All for dressing up,the parties and handing out candy to the trick or treaters. Think the little ones are sooooo adorable in their costumes! Plus I have a bunch of nieces and nephews so it's cool to share their excitement. Not to mention Im a huge horror movie fanatic and FINALLy these movies get shown on tv! lol. Oh and Bonochick where was your house at when I used to go trick or treating?! lol. Man people in my area never handed out full size candy bars,lol. Did get a generic can of cola one time though. That was interesting :hmm:

I disagree with the "Satan worship." That's a pretty sweeping assumption that pretty much nobody truly believes. Even in Salem, Mass., the Wiccans who live there don't even believe in Satan.

And if you don't want to give out candy, you don't have to. Turn off your porch lights and spend the evening watching "The 700 Club." No one forces you to partake in Halloween.

Melon

The dates of religious holidays are, and always have been, subject to change... I don't want to call them arbitrary... but... I mean 'Christmas' was decided by a council to lie officially on Dec. 25th in 386ad. Was that (dec. 25) the date of Jesus' birth? Maybe, maybe not.

So is halloween just a made up holiday? Well, you could argue that, and I'd argue that the dates of all other holidays are just made up too; and you'd probably say 'no way, you can't do that!' and I'd say 'you're right, because that would be ignoring the meaning'.

Halloween (Hallowe'en, All Hallow's Eve, All Hallowed Soul's Eve, All Saint's Eve), while you could argue on a base level is nothing but Paganism and whatnot, I would contend that while you would be correct in saying the warding of lost spirits is purely mysticism, there is an honouring of the departed going on. There's hardly anything about honouring the memory of your ancestors, countrymen, etc, that is fundamentally non-Christian. After all, the only reason we still have this holiday is because the Catholic church appropriated these customs as a propaganda technique when conquering scattered tribes and cultures of Europe.

Not that our culture encourages the informing of one's self on the histories of what are now primarily secular events. But anyway.

Devil's night, October 30th, is just a bullshit excuse for mischief (by mischief, I mean vandalism) with no real meaning to it, however. Feel free to condemn that as much as you like.

I love Halloween, myself, especially the pagan history behind it. I'm fascinated by that stuff.

There's a point in your life where Halloween is no fun - the time between when you can't go trick-or-treating anymore but you're too young to go to bars or real halloween parties. It gets fun again in college. Here the undergrad dorms do something called "liquor treating" where you dress up and go around and they give you shots instead of candy... though that depends on your definition of "fun".

I wouldn't give a kid that showed up at my door on the days before anything, though. :tsk:

I see nothing wrong with Halloween.

It seems like a fun little holiday...I even think it is better as an adult than as a child. The costumes become even more creative, and it allows you to revert to something you (most likely) would not dress/act like!

Bonochick said:

Me too! Not only is it my first year in this place, but it's the first year I'm in an area that actually gets trick-or-treaters at all. Before I was so far out no one came back there. :( While I'm not giving out full sized treat I bought 16 lbs of candy (good ones too, not the cheapest stuff), so I figure kids can each have a few pieces. :yes:

Heck, a meth lab was raided in the woods behind out house and the police were chasing one of the suspects through those wood. So other cops were going door to door telling everyone to stay inside...no one ever came back to me. I guess they couldn't tell there was a house back there. :huh: So no one ever came out to our place to trick-or-treat either. :sad:

Anyway, back to the subject. I love Halloween, it's fun and the history of it is interesting.

Just 5 minutes ago, seriously there was a kid at the front door dressed as a skeleton. Not so strange you might say. This is fucking Australia. That's the first kid I've ever seen asking for tricks or treats.

Halloween belongs in American sitcoms, not Aussie suburbs. :no:

LemonMelon said:
I hate halloween. It's nothing more than satanic worship from witches around the world

Give me a break. Do you also think Harry Potter is evil?

Lighten up

To me, Halloween is simply one of two times a year the kids all have an excuse to eat all the sweets they want, plus they get to dress up of course. Such a shame that times are changing and it's no longer PC.

Every so often, my mom threatens to show everyone pics of me in my Wonder Woman and Boss Hog (Dukes of Hazzard) costumes. :madspit:

the first time that I'm not really doing anything for halloween is this year :ohmy: Well....... at least I don't have anything planned..........

:uhoh: :macdevil: :uhoh:

I walked around with my nieces and nephews as they went trick or treating. Even dressed up in my old cap and gown from my high school graduation,lol. Halloween is all about going out there and just having fun for one night! To me this is the best time of the year! It's really sad though to see that so many in my town just aren't into the holiday anymore like they used to be,:(.

Well, when we took the kids out, it looked like we weren't gonna get much. But after going only two bocks, we got so much candy it was ridiculous. I noticed the quality of the candy was much better this year as well, I already took out my 'mommy tax'. :wink:

I love Halloween because it gives all the girls at my university and excuse to dress even sluttier

Back
Top Bottom